1957 Studebaker 6x6 flatbed???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1957 Studebaker 6x6 flatbed???

The seller of this truck lists it as a 1957 Studebaker 6x6 "deuce and a half". I believe Studebaker's military truck contracts ended with WWII. So what is this?

Here's the listing:

And here's the only photo from the Craigslist ad:

~Matt Connor
    '59 Lark 2-door

I think Studebaker built them but were really a Reo. I saw a couple when I was in Europe in the early 60s.
    Klif
    55 Speedster/Street Machine
    63 Avanti R2
    64 Convertible R1

Comment

That's legit, Studebaker built them for use in the Korean war up into the early '60s. (until '62 or '63 if I remember right) After that AM General took over.
      Chris Dresbach

Comment

Check out this thread:
        Chris Dresbach

Comment

From Dec 1950 thru August 1953 Studebaker assembled 38,079 military trucks at the Chippewa Ave plant. This allowed them to show a profit in calendar year 1953 despite the dismal passenger car sales. In June 1963 Studebaker signed a contract to produce 4159 military trucks the total of which came to over $40,000,000 (later increased). This contract was only partially filled when the doors closed in Dec 1963. Kaiser Jeep took over the contract and bought the Chippewa Ave. plant to complete the contract. It should be noted that these were all "assembled vehicles" meaning all the component parts were outsourced. Studebaker did not make any of the parts for these trucks. I might add that this was mostly true of the WWII trucks as well. Engines of the 4 X 6 and 6 X 6 were provided by Hercules and the axles by Timken. Studebaker did provide modified version of the M Series cabs and some of the smaller parts.
          Richard Quinn
          Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

The number of Army trucks built each year is briefly discussed in each chapter of the Stude truck history:
            Skip Lackie

Comment

I had one when I was stationed in Germany in 1971.I blew the engine up on it!
              36 Dictator cpe
              36 ST.regis custom 2dr sedan R-2
              37 Coupe express R-2
              50 Champion convert
              54 champion cpe
              59 3/4 p/up 4wd
              63 Custom R-2
              63 GT hawk R-2 Motor Trend Hawk/Chicago Show Car
              63 Avanti R-2
              63 Avant1 R-2
              64 Commander R-1
              64 Challenger R-3
              58 Packard hawk
              64 Champ
              2-63 Wagonaire's
              62 E40 Transtar
              55 3/4 T pickup
              64 Daytona
              Brand X :
              70 Duster 340,56 Chevy Del Ray,49 Jeepster,58 Plymouth Belvedere,67 IH Travelall,58 IH Golden Anniversary

http://www.studebakersteve.com

Comment

Working...
              X