Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New & first time Studebaker owner - 55 Commander

Hello!!
    After reading for awhile I wanted to jump in here. I reciently moved from Dallas, TX to Sioux Falls, SD to expand our business and as it took many years to totally get out of my excessive Corvair hobby, I vowed to never deal with old cars!
    Well years ago at a swapmeet I was working in Arlington, I set eyes on a perfect 1960 Lark wagon and have been interested since. Now that things are going well I discovered Studebakers again when searching for a good Wagonair but fell for the C& K bodies.
    I now have in my posession a decomposed 55 Commander with a 259. Got what I expected from Ebay and have my work cut out.

Compared to Corvairs I'm pleased to see the increadable parts availabilty.
    As I am stocking up on boody parts, panels and trim I am preparing to get the frame cleaned up, then mid winter have a slot for the body shop. I already have lots of questions so thanks in advanced if anyone cares to help! So far the only parts I am in need of right away would be a center crossmember which support the body supports inder the door hinge pillar.. Rust has sort of split it apart. Is that lower part available? It's the one that goes from one side to the other.

Also I need a 55 grille. Wish me luck there eh? Mine is severely pitted and that pot metal - I cant see how a chrome shop could repair that but I could be wrong?

Also I thought I wanted to convert the 3-speed to a GM 700 transmission w/ OD but perhaps I should keep the 3-speed w/ overdrive? I didnt know this car would have that (OD) but is it quite desireable?
    I will be building this engine for endurance and efficiency thus it will have ported fuel injection. But right now I need to get the frame repaired then the body.

Glad to see all the brake kits, dual master cyl fits, front suspension updates, etc..

I am thinking about either attending the Rockford, IL meet, Pikes Peak, that Wisconsin swap meet or the Denton, TX meet. hope to find some stuff I need at one of those and see how the interriors come together as there is none in this car.

Hope to meet some of you one day soon!!
    Ches

Ches,

Welcome to the ranks of Studebaker owners. Rule #1, the motor goes in the FRONT!

If you are not concerned with maintaining a totally stock appearance, you would certainly not be the first person to paint the grill of a '55. There are those who feel that this actually looks better than the massive chrome nose. Someone can probably post pictures of a '55 with the painted snout.

You mention ported fuel injection. For the 259? This would certainly be an interesting project. A good 259 will give you the endurance that you seek. However, I would consider going to a 500cfm Edelbrock. It will give you reliability and reasonable efficiency, with much lower cost than injection. That's what I'm running in my Daytona. It's a very common swap.

Best of luck. There are a great bunch of folks here on the forum who will be able to help you along through this project.

Jim Bradley
    '64 Daytona HT "Rerun"
    Jim Bradley
    Lake Monticello, VA
    '78 Avanti II
    sigpic

Comment

Ches,

Welcome to the ranks of Studebaker owners. Rule #1, the motor goes in the FRONT!

If you are not concerned with maintaining a totally stock appearance, you would certainly not be the first person to paint the grill of a '55. There are those who feel that this actually looks better than the massive chrome nose. Someone can probably post pictures of a '55 with the painted snout.

You mention ported fuel injection. For the 259? This would certainly be an interesting project. A good 259 will give you the endurance that you seek. However, I would consider going to a 500cfm Edelbrock. It will give you reliability and reasonable efficiency, with much lower cost than injection. That's what I'm running in my Daytona. It's a very common swap.

Best of luck. There are a great bunch of folks here on the forum who will be able to help you along through this project.

Jim Bradley
      '64 Daytona HT "Rerun"
      Jim Bradley
      Lake Monticello, VA
      '78 Avanti II
      sigpic

Comment

Ches,
        Welcome to the Forum and the ranks of Stude owners.
        You will find this site a great help, so keep us posted on your progress.

[img=left]http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j259/stude53/studesmall2.jpg[/img=left]Bob Feaganes (stude53)
        53 Starliner Hardtop
        Newton Grove, NC

Comment

Ches,
          Welcome to the Forum and the ranks of Stude owners.
          You will find this site a great help, so keep us posted on your progress.

[img=left]http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j259/stude53/studesmall2.jpg[/img=left]Bob Feaganes (stude53)
          53 Starliner Hardtop
          Newton Grove, NC

Comment

I'm certainly no expert on the C/Ks, but for body supports you might want to check Classic Enterprises. They make all sort of supports and patch panels for Studebakers.

As far as the grille--you do have your work cut out for you there. One thing to note, the center grille section on the 55s is the same--C/Ks and sedans (which have a different body). The outer turn signal pieces ARE different, so be careful if you try to find different ones.

I've seen the center grilles go across Ebay from time to time, but IIRC they're not cheap--$750-1000.

Mark Anderson
            1965 Cruiser

Home of the Cruiser Registry

Comment

I'm certainly no expert on the C/Ks, but for body supports you might want to check Classic Enterprises. They make all sort of supports and patch panels for Studebakers.

As far as the grille--you do have your work cut out for you there. One thing to note, the center grille section on the 55s is the same--C/Ks and sedans (which have a different body). The outer turn signal pieces ARE different, so be careful if you try to find different ones.

I've seen the center grilles go across Ebay from time to time, but IIRC they're not cheap--$750-1000.

Mark Anderson
              1965 Cruiser

Home of the Cruiser Registry

Comment

Welcome to the Forum, and to Studebakering! We're glad to have you aboard. Post pics of your car - everyone loves pics!

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                '63 F2/Lark Standard

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Welcome to the Forum, and to Studebakering! We're glad to have you aboard. Post pics of your car - everyone loves pics!

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                  '63 F2/Lark Standard

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Ches,
                    Welcome to the world of Studebakers. Thank you for posting on the forum. We would love to see pictures when ever you can.

Gary Sanders
                    Nixa, MO
                    President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
                    Gary Sanders
                    Nixa, MO

Comment

Ches,
                      Welcome to the world of Studebakers. Thank you for posting on the forum. We would love to see pictures when ever you can.

Gary Sanders
                      Nixa, MO
                      President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
                      Gary Sanders
                      Nixa, MO

Comment

For reference, here are painted nose treatments on 1955 Conestoga wagon models (same nose look as yours) to look at. Perhaps a good, inexpensive way to go, even while you hunt for a good chromed front piece.

53 Starliner Hardtop
                        Newton Grove, NC

Comment

For reference, here are painted nose treatments on 1955 Conestoga wagon models (same nose look as yours) to look at. Perhaps a good, inexpensive way to go, even while you hunt for a good chromed front piece.

53 Starliner Hardtop
                          Newton Grove, NC

Comment

Let me add my welcome to the land of Studebaker. I would strongly encourage you to join the Studebaker Drivers Club. You can do so on this website. Inside every month's issue of Turning Wheels Magazine are ads from many of the vendors who sell Stude parts.
                            The Cooperator section is the techical Q & A. Invaluable when you're restoring a Stude.
                            Again, Best of luck.
                            Rog

'59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                            Smithtown,NY
                            Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Let me add my welcome to the land of Studebaker. I would strongly encourage you to join the Studebaker Drivers Club. You can do so on this website. Inside every month's issue of Turning Wheels Magazine are ads from many of the vendors who sell Stude parts.
                              The Cooperator section is the techical Q & A. Invaluable when you're restoring a Stude.
                              Again, Best of luck.
                              Rog

Smithtown,NY
                              Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Working...
                              X