Studebaker @ 2007 Indiana State Fair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker @ 2007 Indiana State Fair

'Just returned from a day at the 2007 Indiana State Fair, not expecting to see anything Studebaker. [V] Wrong.

One building with a different exhibit every year was this year devoted to Indiana Oddities and Curiosities. Examples: The biggest ball of paint (now at 550 pounds, begun years ago by some kid painting a baseball) and the "world's largest mousetrap collection" (not certified). These were among maybe 100 items of all sizes and descriptions from all corners of the state.

Included was a 2' X 3' NASA Image (copyright 2007, Europa Technologies) of the S T U D E B A K E R tree sign in New Carlisle at the former Proving Grounds, with a description of its certification as The World's Largest Living Sign. The accompanying statement for the state's vehicular unwashed in attendance said the advertisement "was for a product no longer available: Studebaker".

Well, I'd beg to differ: There's hundreds of them For Sale all over the country right now! Still, it was nice to see a large, current, color photo of the sign prominently displayed at The Indiana State Fair.

And if I may be permitted a modest deviation and reference to our tractor thread of a couple weeks ago: The Indiana State Fair's hugely successful Pioneer Farm Building and working pioneer farm exhibits were hatched and developed from a idea seed (pardon the pun) planted by Purdue University School of Agriculture Ag Alumni Association Director Maurice Williamson.

Maurice is getting right up there in years, but is still on the premises every year in his bib overalls, directing this portion of The Indiana State Fair that has probably developed far beyond his wildest dreams of decades ago while promoting Indiana, Agriculture, and Purdue University.

Among his promotional brainstorms is having an antique tractor parade around the fairgrounds every day of the fair at 6PM. And what did this Pioneer Farm Exhibit kingpin, Maurice Williamson, drive in the parade today? Why, a gorgeous, beautifully-restored Oliver 70 Row-Crop Tractor! []

A 4-way treat if there ever was one: Studebaker at The Indiana State Fair for the cake, with Purdue and Oliver for the frosting. BP

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Bob.........

For anyone to go that far as to drive an Oliver in the Fair Parade on opening day................

must be a conspiracy.

You know they have a car show there on the closing weekend, we could flood them!!

OK I lied....I'll do it again for the "right" car, I love the chase.....
    It is an addiction!

Comment

Bob.........

For anyone to go that far as to drive an Oliver in the Fair Parade on opening day................

must be a conspiracy.

You know they have a car show there on the closing weekend, we could flood them!!

OK I lied....I'll do it again for the "right" car, I love the chase.....
      It is an addiction!

Comment

Working...
      X