PDA

View Full Version : I love Studebaker hot rods, but this one made me sad..

evilhawk
12-21-2012, 10:34 AM
I found this on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Studebaker-Golden-Hawk-1957-STUDEBAKER-GOLDEN-HAWK-STREET-ROD-/160941351397?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item2578da21e5

They fact that they hot rodded a Golden Hawk makes me cringe! A rodded Silver Hawk is fine, but a Golden Hawk? This car should have been left alone in my opinion.

t walgamuth
12-21-2012, 10:42 AM
It is a bit much for my taste too, on the plus side the body looks pretty stock so it could be toned back easily to something more rational.

jclary
12-21-2012, 10:53 AM
I have seen much much worse. Really... the car does not look too bad, but, I am concerned about the gaps showing at the doors. Perhaps it is the bad pictures, but something don't look right. The paint job screams "I'm not fully grown up yet!"

Hawks deserve a more dignified paint job..."rodded" or stock.

thunderations
12-21-2012, 11:08 AM
When was the original modification done? Having a 327 instead of a 350 tells me it was done some time ago, probably when Golden Hawks were just another used car.

Son O Lark
12-21-2012, 11:13 AM
It has a SDC sticker on the cowl,that makes it all good!!:)

thunderations
12-21-2012, 11:23 AM
I think the doors have chrome or stainless edge gaurds on them, making the gap look wide in the pictures. with another hood and a nice paint job, this could be a real sleeper.
I have seen much much worse. Really... the car does not look too bad, but, I am concerned about the gaps showing at the doors. Perhaps it is the bad pictures, but something don't look right. The paint job screams "I'm not fully grown up yet!"

63 R2 Hawk
12-21-2012, 11:54 AM
I grew up in Ohio, AKA "The Rust Belt" and if this car has spent its life in that area, it is lucky to be driving around in any condition.

deco_droid
12-21-2012, 12:13 PM
flames on a car are VERY hard to get away with...

StudeRich
12-21-2012, 12:31 PM
All the other other "wrong" mods aside, all I had to see was those front Bumper Guards modified to fit the rear, to know the builder had NO taste. :(

Nox
12-21-2012, 01:03 PM
Exept for the bumperguards, the scoop & gear-shifter I can't see what's so awfully bad with it, Golden or Silver Hawk, it's easy to make it "another perfect original-looker" again.
& if it's a 327 I'd be loads happier that if it would've been a 350!

okc63avanti
12-21-2012, 03:27 PM
Go with something in solid "Crimson Red" paint (I wonder why I like that color) with maybe white rear fins and this beauty would be perfect. I agree with the comment above that flames are hard to get away with on a car.

SN-60
12-21-2012, 05:56 PM
I looked over this Hawk at South Bend in '07........it's actually quite nice 'in the flesh'!!

Flashback
12-21-2012, 06:19 PM
It's not exactly to my taste, BUT, honestly, the cookie cutter, engine is about the saddest thing for me.

SN-60
12-21-2012, 07:40 PM
TO: Flashback,-----That 'cookie cutter' engine was introduced in '55 at 265CI........I'm half way through an overhaul of a '73 version of that same engine at 400CI.....wouldn't it have been nice if Studebaker
designed it's V8 with that kind of room for future expansion?.....Yes, I thought You'd agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rockinhawk
12-21-2012, 07:47 PM
TO: Flashback,-----That 'cookie cutter' engine was introduced in '55 at 265CI........I'm half way through an overhaul of a '73 version of that same engine at 400CI.....wouldn't it have been nice if Studebaker
designed it's V8 with that kind of room for future expansion?.....Yes, I thought You'd agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Do you mean like going from a puny little 232 in 51 to a screaming R5 in 64?

avantilover
12-21-2012, 07:56 PM
Made me wonder why you'd only drive about 1800 Miles in 12 years after building the thing in the first place. No heater, wipers don't work and front end vibration around 60 MPH suggests some work is required to properly set up???
Certainly different.

Strange how the owner didn't know of the missing heater and non-operative wipers, what else doesn't he/she know???

SN-60
12-21-2012, 08:07 PM
To; rockinhawk,-----No, You completely miss the point....I'm talking about an engine block ('small' block mind You) with the ability to 'grow' 135CI in it's lifetime. We like our Studes...but it's really pretty
naive to trash that 'little' Chevy (In My opinion)

Flashback
12-21-2012, 08:26 PM
I am completely aware that the 265 was introduced in 1955. I have owned so many 5-6-7 chevies, I couldn't count them. Never had one with a Studebaker engine. I have owned many Studebakers and have used several different engines. My first real driver was a 51 Chev with a 312 Ford engine. All that being said, I finally grew up. LOL LOL LOL LOL

BTW- the cute little 55-265 was junk.

SN-60
12-21-2012, 08:36 PM
I am completely aware that the 265 was introduced in 1955. I have owned so many 5-6-7 chevies, I couldn't count them. Never had one with a Studebaker engine. I have owned many Studebakers and have used several different engines. My first real driver was a 51 Chev with a 312 Ford engine. All that being said, I finally grew up. LOL LOL LOL LOL

BTW- the cute little 55-265 was junk.

Studebaker engines are also My personal favorite....but You're really 'missing the boat' if You can't admit to the successes of other American Auto Manufacturers. (ever hear of the Chrysler HEMI?)

plwindish
12-21-2012, 08:47 PM
I don't think flames on a white car look good, but those flames IMHO, wouldn't look good on any color. They are too big, too garish, not tastefully done. If I needed flames, I would get in contact with Mike Lavalle. His flames look totally real. A company had him put flames on a black helicopter and somebody called the fire dept. after it landed.

SN-60
12-21-2012, 08:59 PM
Flames can be garish.............that's why 'ghost flames' sometimes look pretty nice.

Flashback
12-21-2012, 09:01 PM
Studebaker engines are also My personal favorite....but You're really 'missing the boat' if You can't admit to the successes of other American Auto Manufacturers. (ever hear of the Chrysler HEMI?)

O yeah, I heard ofum. I had one in a 29 Ford coupe. I'm just messing with ya. I really like the 327 Chevy. I think the car is up to the owner. Engine as well as paint, wheels, and on and on. But, I might just tell what I think. LOL

LOL

Remember, loosen up.

dean pearson
12-21-2012, 09:13 PM
Buy it and fix it.
I've seen people start with far worse.
I will say i agree with you and i don't like it either.

Dean.

John Brayton
12-21-2012, 10:51 PM

Yep, deserves better paint!

bob40
12-22-2012, 07:55 AM
No matter what a person does to a car someone wont like it.
On this thread a poster said the builder has no taste while I like it.
In another thread same poster likes a modified I wouldnt get within 5 feet of.
Tastes vary

52-fan
12-22-2012, 08:48 AM
When I saw this on eBay, I ignored the ad because of the wild paint, but now that I have looked closer I realize the car is not bad. I would not want such a show piece, but it is not too far removed from the original. Any custom attempt will please some people and irritate others. I am thankful that this one doesn't have a gee whiz all modern looking interior.

rockinhawk
12-22-2012, 10:04 AM
Yes,I too am well aquainted with the HEMI. I had a 56 DeSoto when I was 17. Drove my sister-in-law's 58 New Yorker convertable quite a bit when I was 19. Now have a Ram Night Runner in the carport. I like Hemis. My favorite engine other than the Stude V8 is the Chrysler 318. They will usually out last the vehicle they come in with minimal care.There are 4 here now. One in a 1985 Dodge 4x4 with 275K. a 79 LeBaron with over 300K, 98 Dodge truck at 180, and one in a 50 Studebaker Truck with Lord only knows how many miles! If I was gonna put a different engine in a Studebaker, it would be a 318. the front motor mounts from a Studebaker V8 will bolt right on.

SN-60
12-22-2012, 10:22 AM
One thing about the C/K Studebaker engine compartment is there's plenty of room for almost anything. Back in My first life, I built up a 1958 Studebaker Silver Hawk. It was powered by a 1958 Chrysler Imperial
392 CI 'HEMI' engine. Car was 'ALL WRONG' but seemed 'ALL RIGHT' back then!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

63t-cab
12-22-2012, 10:30 AM
Must be the need to be heard,or you know (I just tell it like it is !)
No matter what a person does to a car someone wont like it.
On this thread a poster said the builder has no taste while I like it.
In another thread same poster likes a modified I wouldnt get within 5 feet of.
Tastes vary

Roscomacaw
12-22-2012, 11:35 AM
I like this thing. Don't like the bumper guards (I mean - WHY???) Flames do not one thing for me. That said, I'd drive it.

rusty65
12-22-2012, 11:39 AM
The car can stay, but those flames gotta go!!!

Nox
12-22-2012, 01:46 PM
To rockinhawk: you just gotta LOVE my car then... or at least the engine!

(It's a --55 sedan with a... 318 ! ! ! )

David
12-29-2012, 09:45 AM
Someone liked it. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Stude...item2578da21e5

mike cenit
12-29-2012, 10:10 AM
I've seen this car a few years ago at some show in Ohio, it's really not bad, and if somebody wanted to turn itn back into it's orignal
state, it can be done. I think the biggest problem is both doors sag badly.

TXmark
12-29-2012, 10:11 AM
I got to agree, I am way too tired of small block chevy, they are cheap and plentiful. I just bought a '39 ford with a 350 in it that's the first thing that is gotta go.

It's not exactly to my taste, BUT, honestly, the cookie cutter, engine is about the saddest thing for me.

SN-60
12-29-2012, 11:51 AM
To: TXmark,---Just fasten a pair of 'OLDS ROCKET' valve covers on top of the Chevy ones and call it good.....spend Your $$ on something that Your '39 Ford actually needs!

jclary
12-29-2012, 01:19 PM
Pardon me in advance if I am blowing smoke. I have not had a GM product in many years. I also have not been in the market for a SBC. However, from many comments I have heard recently, I have gotten the impression that good SBC's are becoming rather scarce and expensive when you do find one. If this is the case...what will become the "go to" rod engine in the future?

johnod
12-30-2012, 05:32 PM
I got to agree, I am way too tired of small block chevy, they are cheap and plentiful. I just bought a '39 ford with a 350 in it that's the first thing that is gotta go.

Yep, who would want a cheap, plentiful,reliable engine that makes a lot of HP?
Better to find some old boat anchor that costs 4 times as much to build, that makes half the HP.

sweetolbob
12-30-2012, 06:53 PM
Pardon me in advance if I am blowing smoke. I have not had a GM product in many years. I also have not been in the market for a SBC. However, from many comments I have heard recently, I have gotten the impression that good SBC's are becoming rather scarce and expensive when you do find one. If this is the case...what will become the "go to" rod engine in the future?

John
LS series Chebby. Just a better version of the original. I think 1999 and up. However, before you think the SBC's are getting hard to find, put SBC into Craigslist and you'll find a lot of 'em yet.
Bob

TXmark
12-31-2012, 12:04 AM
if I wanted what everyone else has I WOULD NOT HAVE BOUGHT A STUDEBAKER SBC not

evilhawk
12-31-2012, 01:17 AM
Yep, who would want a cheap, plentiful,reliable engine that makes a lot of HP?
Better to find some old boat anchor that costs 4 times as much to build, that makes half the HP.

So are you calling Stude V8s boat anchors?

clonelark
12-31-2012, 02:09 AM
You can knock the SBC all you want, they were so good Studebaker used em. Corvettes are great too, they make great parts cars. His car his money. I like Studebakers as well as anyone here, (Have 8 of em) some stock some Hot Rodded. Open your minds get off this SBC hateing.

K-Hawk
12-31-2012, 02:44 AM
new members in to SDC will mean new ideas and new expressions of how a Studebaker can look and run. I think it is a very cool looking car that will call attention to the brand and encourage more new uses of a Studebaker; as new people express themselves. People are rediscovering how very cool starting with a Studebaker will result in that dare to be different hot rod. Remember 'DIFFERENT BY DESIGN" If all goes according to my plan my hawk will will have flames, perhaps 57 t bird looking port holes.

Pat Dilling
12-31-2012, 11:23 AM
John
LS series Chebby. Just a better version of the original. I think 1999 and up. However, before you think the SBC's are getting hard to find, put SBC into Craigslist and you'll find a lot of 'em yet.
Bob

Yup, the LS series of motors is indeed taking over for the venerable, original SBC as the swap engine of choice. They are light, powerful, plentiful and easily last 200,000 miles. If they have a fault, it is they are not very pretty to look at. As for the original SBC, you can buy brand new crate engines at any dealer, FLAPS or online catalog store. My thoughts on the original SBC is they are boring, unless you do something radical with them. JMO.

JoeHall
12-31-2012, 12:25 PM
new members in to SDC will mean new ideas and new expressions of how a Studebaker can look and run. I think it is a very cool looking car that will call attention to the brand and encourage more new uses of a Studebaker; as new people express themselves. People are rediscovering how very cool starting with a Studebaker will result in that dare to be different hot rod. Remember 'DIFFERENT BY DESIGN" If all goes according to my plan my hawk will will have flames, perhaps 57 t bird looking port holes.

My guess is, in re-doing the car, the person was, as most of us are, re-living his youth; probably had one similar, or had one similar that he could not afford back in the day. I think its kinda a yuppy thing. I can appreciate the car, and hope it finds a new owner it will be a "good fit" for.

johnod
12-31-2012, 06:24 PM
So are you calling Stude V8s boat anchors?

Not especially.

There is a huge movement afoot to use "different" engines, just for the different/cool factor.
I just find it strange that "hotrods" are now being built with various old engines only because they look unusual.
Like I said boat anchors that cost 4 times as much to build, that makes half the HP.
As I recall it the idea was to build as much HP as you could for the dollars you had.

The LS seems to be the engine for that job.
But a gen 1 sbc is still a great engine.

Of course I'm not an expert, I don't have enough tattoos

SN-60
12-31-2012, 07:38 PM

You're mention of T-Bird port holes reminded Me of an all black '56 Power Hawk Coupe I owned Years ago...an old time auto body craftsman customized it before I owned it by closing in the 'push out' 1/4 windows with
sheetmetal, (leaded in), In the center of this black painted panel, which was about 1'' out from the 1/4 glass, was an approx 5" diameter hole with a nicely made stainless ring that fit between this metal piece and the glass,
which, of course, could no longer 'push out' That Power Hawk was quite distinctive!

evilhawk
01-04-2013, 02:52 PM
Not especially.

There is a huge movement afoot to use "different" engines, just for the different/cool factor.
I just find it strange that "hotrods" are now being built with various old engines only because they look unusual.
Like I said boat anchors that cost 4 times as much to build, that makes half the HP.
As I recall it the idea was to build as much HP as you could for the dollars you had.

The LS seems to be the engine for that job.
But a gen 1 sbc is still a great engine.

Of course I'm not an expert, I don't have enough tattoos

Yeah I hear yah. I guess people are just sick and tired of the same old same old hum-drum 350 power plant under the hood of nearly every hot rod they see at the car shows. I personally like "different" even if it does cost more to rebuild or make less HP (some of these different motors actually produce more HP). Most people don't build hot rods to drag race or drive daily anymore, therefore the trend is moving in a different direction. Besides, different often wins in car shows.

One thing that has always bothered me about the conventional hot rod is, why only the Chev 350? Does it cost THAT much more to build up other common motors like the Ford 302/351w or Chrysler 340s? I mean, I know they do use these motors, but not nearly as often as the Chevy V8.

I guess over all, the reason the Golden Hawk on Ebay bothered me is because to me, a super charged 289 is much cooler than another 283/327/350 build. Other than that I actually liked the way it looked. Besides, wouldnt hot rodding a car like that severely decrease its value?

.....and that was my rant for the day.

K-Hawk
01-05-2013, 01:47 AM
Car looks like the builder wanted it to. Many have wondered why we have problems getting new members after reading some of these comments perhaps some folks feel alienated and that nonconformity is unacceptable. Why join a club that appears to be so critical of individual creativity?

t walgamuth
01-05-2013, 06:12 AM
I'm very active over on the Mercedesforum. this is an arguement that goes on over there between folks who inisist the only way to build a benzo is stock and other folks who don't mind mofifying them. The arguing about it seems less now, but there really aren't too many folks putting chebbys and ford motors into them since the mb engines tend to last forever and the bodies tend to rust.

The most interesting projects over there involve the SL's. One fellow took a mid eighties and put in a late model v12. Amazing work. Recently a fellow did a really nice install of a turbodiesel into a mid eighties SL. He is getting 30 mpg with it too.

johnod
01-05-2013, 09:44 AM
Yeah I hear yah. I guess people are just sick and tired of the same old same old hum-drum 350 power plant under the hood of nearly every hot rod they see at the car shows. I personally like "different" even if it does cost more to rebuild or make less HP (some of these different motors actually produce more HP). Most people don't build hot rods to drag race or drive daily anymore, therefore the trend is moving in a different direction. Besides, different often wins in car shows.

One thing that has always bothered me about the conventional hot rod is, why only the Chev 350? Does it cost THAT much more to build up other common motors like the Ford 302/351w or Chrysler 340s? I mean, I know they do use these motors, but not nearly as often as the Chevy V8.

I guess over all, the reason the Golden Hawk on Ebay bothered me is because to me, a super charged 289 is much cooler than another 283/327/350 build. Other than that I actually liked the way it looked. Besides, wouldnt hot rodding a car like that severely decrease its value?

I've got nothing againest "other" engines, some look/are cool as hell, and are more unique than a SBC, certainly.

My peeve is when people start slagging off the SBC, for being so bellybutton.
There is a multitude of good reasons why the SBC has reigned as the top builder engine for decades.
It is ubiquitous because it has proven to be the best, cheap,user friendly,HP making, engine out there, for years and years.

Re the Stude being worth more stock, not necessarily, I'm not real familiar with Hawks, but a well modified driver 53-54 coupe will bring more than a stock driver.

jeryst
01-05-2013, 06:45 PM
Car looks like the builder wanted it to. Many have wondered why we have problems getting new members after reading some of these comments perhaps some folks feel alienated and that nonconformity is unacceptable. Why join a club that appears to be so critical of individual creativity?

I totally agree. back in the 60's and 70's when I was a teenager, everyone tried to customize their cars. Every car show was an adventure in the wild and sometimes weird. Today, car show consist of nothing more than rows and rows of cars trying to be how they came from the factory. People place too much on the value thing and too little on creativity. Anybody can restore a car to original. It takes a special breed to make something cool and different. I've seen that Hawk around for sale for quite a while. If I would have had the money, I would have bought it, just because it is different.

parts
01-05-2013, 10:38 PM
I build my cars for me.. I have no concern that anyone would be bored or excited with my choices.. I can't fathom why I would.. I use the SBC as my choice for my reasons..people who are bored by my decision really do not interest me..
I happen to associate with some quite talented and some well known builders..we share this opinion..
Build for you..live for you..

When I go to a car show I am looking at what others choose to do..and the execution of those choices.. I have never felt bored or excited by someones use of any engine..or anything really..
Is a 700R boring..should I use a 727..or maybe Turbogylde..or whatever..
Are people bored by my GT hawk buckets..perhaps a bench would be more interesting..maybe lawn chairs with rattan..
I really don't understand the need to have "unusual" choice in a engine in order to please strangers..cause frankly..
"Hell is other people" if you are that concerned..

I guess I just never was nice enough to care what they thought..and perhaps they could just build there own "interesting" choice

might keep them interested..

What is it that makes this hobby interesting..your choice or others appreciation of your choices..

Frankly my dear..I don't give a dam..

In the best possible and nicest way :)

My other "Belly Button" boring car..
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e381/docc48/Jaguars/JagJan07.jpg?t=1325490349

I built it ground up..but it was originally made "boring" in 1956-7 as a C/m racer..

uh..SBC

t walgamuth
01-05-2013, 11:49 PM
Cooooool Jag!

johnod
01-06-2013, 12:08 AM
Parts, those are some boring cars.:)

jclary
01-06-2013, 12:26 AM
While I enjoy the artistic expressions of those building "Hot Rods"...they are all more than just the power plant installed in them. I suspect that the average young person who walks by a rod at a cruise-in don't know if it has an old Ford flat-head V8, Vintage Olds J2, or Buick Nail Head. However, if any of these vehicles had an unexpected hic-up on the way home...and your favorite old time family owned parts store was closed until Monday morning...you'd probably be on a hook or roll-back for the ride home.

However, if you have a SBC in your rod...you may only be a short walk from a K-Mart or Wal-mart for the component you need to get you on your way. The older you get, the easier it is to understand the wisdom of that decision.:)

t walgamuth
01-06-2013, 07:10 AM
Just curious, are those wheels factory size?

I build my cars for me.. I have no concern that anyone would be bored or excited with my choices.. I can't fathom why I would.. I use the SBC as my choice for my reasons..people who are bored by my decision really do not interest me..
I happen to associate with some quite talented and some well known builders..we share this opinion..
Build for you..live for you..

When I go to a car show I am looking at what others choose to do..and the execution of those choices.. I have never felt bored or excited by someones use of any engine..or anything really..
Is a 700R boring..should I use a 727..or maybe Turbogylde..or whatever..
Are people bored by my GT hawk buckets..perhaps a bench would be more interesting..maybe lawn chairs with rattan..
I really don't understand the need to have "unusual" choice in a engine in order to please strangers..cause frankly..
"Hell is other people" if you are that concerned..

I guess I just never was nice enough to care what they thought..and perhaps they could just build there own "interesting" choice

might keep them interested..

What is it that makes this hobby interesting..your choice or others appreciation of your choices..

Frankly my dear..I don't give a dam..

In the best possible and nicest way :)

My other "Belly Button" boring car..
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e381/docc48/Jaguars/JagJan07.jpg?t=1325490349

I built it ground up..but it was originally made "boring" in 1956-7 as a C/m racer..

uh..SBC

DEEPNHOCK
01-06-2013, 07:51 AM
Sorry to say, that is on aspect of a portion of this forum, and a portion of the SDC (as far as clubs go).
And they are ok with that. They don't want 'that kind' around these parts anyways.
They have this love of originality, and Studebaker purity......Which is ok.
The desire to keep things as they were is noble, and one that takes incredible discipline.
Where it goes haywire is when that type of person castigates someone else, or their efforts, because it is not what they personally like.
They exclude, because someone, or something does not fit their ideal of what a Studebaker should be.
It isn't the distaste for a particular modification that's the problem.
It's the poor manners and poor sportsmanship.
And it is on display for the world to read when they post that opinion on a forum.
Newcomers come by to share their joy, and if it does not conform to some...they get berated for it.
That is the sad, and destructive part of this hobby.
It's not just on the forum... It's 24-7.
The hardest part on the forum is holding one's tongue.
Me included.
Jeffhttp://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/images/icons/icon6.png

I totally agree. back in the 60's and 70's when I was a teenager, everyone tried to customize their cars. Every car show was an adventure in the wild and sometimes weird. Today, car show consist of nothing more than rows and rows of cars trying to be how they came from the factory. People place too much on the value thing and too little on creativity. Anybody can restore a car to original. It takes a special breed to make something cool and different. I've seen that Hawk around for sale for quite a while. If I would have had the money, I would have bought it, just because it is different.

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by K-Hawkhttp://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?p=707975#post707975)Car looks like the builder wanted it to. Many have wondered why we have problems getting new members after reading some of these comments perhaps some folks feel alienated and that nonconformity is unacceptable. Why join a club that appears to be so critical of individual creativity?

SN-60
01-06-2013, 09:52 AM
Isn't it nice to have the 'ways of the World' explained to us like only DEEPNHOCK can?

t walgamuth
01-06-2013, 09:55 AM
Its ok to disagree as long as we aren't disagreeable about it.;)

parts
01-06-2013, 02:08 PM
I used to hold my tongue..but no one could understand what I was saying..
and I would drool all over my sleeve !

Time to waste gas..kill bugs..and smoke a cigar..out there..

Need to exercise 2 cars and two motorcycles..and still catch some playoffs..

Oh the stress..:)

t..
very astute !

No..those are widened E Type 15"..Dayton.. Sits lower from that and suspension mods.. I needed more rubber to keep the tires from sizzling..350hp in this light car is delightful..
I have done and redone the Jag three times now in the 38 years we have been together..

Rock n Roll days..giving Dad a ride..
Nasty 327 2x4 solids..12:1..really a handfull..but 1973 you know..
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e381/docc48/Jaguars/120withDad1-1.jpg

t walgamuth
01-06-2013, 03:54 PM
Heh! I thought perhaps (I am no expert on Jags) it would have had 16" wires originally like a lot of other cars such as a 250 Ferrari and so forth.

I used to hold my tongue..but no one could understand what I was saying..
and I would drool all over my sleeve !

Time to waste gas..kill bugs..and smoke a cigar..out there..

Need to exercise 2 cars and two motorcycles..and still catch some playoffs..

Oh the stress..:)

t..
very astute !

No..those are widened E Type 15"..Dayton.. Sits lower from that and suspension mods.. I needed more rubber to keep the tires from sizzling..350hp in this light car is delightful..
I have done and redone the Jag three times now in the 38 years we have been together..

Rock n Roll days..giving Dad a ride..
Nasty 327 2x4 solids..12:1..really a handfull..but 1973 you know..
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e381/docc48/Jaguars/120withDad1-1.jpg

parts
01-06-2013, 06:36 PM
That picture where I actually had hair..:) It has the 16" 48 spoke.. The Daytons are 15" 72 spoke..much stronger.. I twisted the heck out of the old set..

to the forum
PS..sorry for the thread drift or hijack..

t walgamuth
01-06-2013, 11:05 PM
That picture were I actually had hair..:) It has the 16" 48 spoke.. The Daytons are 15" 72 spoke..much stronger.. I twisted the heck out of the old set..

to the forum
PS..sorry for the thread drift or hijack..

Cool! Yeah, the old wire wheels were a little on the flimsy side to be using with a strong engine and tires with actual grip!;) That's why they went to halibrand wheels on the cobras when they started using the very wide tires.

(oh yeah, nice hair!)

K-Hawk
01-07-2013, 12:42 AM
hold your tongue and say ,I live on a pirate ship.

bezhawk
01-07-2013, 10:23 AM
I personally have no problem with a SBC, however,(there's always a however), Why spend thousands on building a car, then rattle can the engine compartment black?

evilhawk
01-09-2013, 03:51 PM
lol you guys are being a bit black and white about this, just because someone dislikes the SBC doesnt make that person a "purist". I love hot rods, and in most cases I find "stock" to be boring unless its extremely rare, but I tend to cringe when I see another 350 under the hood. Also, its not being original stuffing a SBC into yet another Stude.. in fact that is the total opposite of being different or original. If you want to be different, try stuffing a 340 mopar into one or a Buick GN 3.8l turbo. The point is there are a ton of other choices when building a streetrod, being original and building something that stands out goes much further than the exterior.

This is just an opinion so please cool your jets. I am not trying to offend or scare away potential members, Im just stating an opinion as this is what a forum is for.

johnod
05-26-2013, 03:11 PM

The main reason the Ford is not as popular is because Ford bolted the oil pan on backwards.

Lark Parker
05-26-2013, 04:07 PM
There's something about your avatar photo car I like.
http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/image.php?u=7245&dateline=1331533987
Can't quite figure out what.

Roscomacaw
05-26-2013, 04:55 PM
Yeah - there's nothin' says "Custom" more than doin' like everyone else! Custom's sposed to mean different - or does the different only go skin deep? Gotta have that M II front end, the 9" Ford rear, the cheap 350 (and tranny) and the deep dish, chrome wheels. Wah-La! it's a custom! All my own ideas - right outta the pages of Hot Rodder and Jegs.

SO many cool old V8s, straight 8s and nifty 6s, kinky 4s even - stuff that would truly qualify as original thinking........ but of course, you can't just plunk down 800 bucks for one like you do for a 350 at O'rielly's and be halfway to custom-ville when cousin Bernie comes to help you shop the Jeg's catalog for shiny tidbits.

What's always been chucklesome to me is when some rube looks at my Stude and asks: Whaddya runnin' in that thing? BTW - the preceeding statements are just my ill-advised, ignorant opinions. I'm dumber than a box of rocks and full of fetid doo-doo. So give my opinions their deserved due before you pop your glue.

Edit to add..... There have been some custom projects shared on these forums that just boggle my mind. Hand-crafted frames and powertrain adaptations/enhancements, suspension swaps and stuff that I couldn't begin to do myself. We've seen some Stude folks (all-round gearheads really) share some truly masterful "customs" here. I'm not just flat against cusstomizing - just discerning about it - in my own goofy way, of course.:D

Roscomacaw
05-26-2013, 05:22 PM
"to the forum
PS..sorry for the thread drift or hijack.. "

One more violation of thread drift and the thread cops will come knockin' on your door. They'll trasnport you (in a 350-powered Jag, no less) to an undisclothed location. There you'll be forced to chant: "I will not induce thread drift." over and over until you're able to detect the difference in odor between oil drained from a Stude engine and that drained from an SBC. That's the Stage One treatment. I'd be risking a visit from them myself, if I revealed what they do to you if you need a second abduction!