Avanti Storage and Gasoline fumes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Avanti Storage and Gasoline fumes

Howdy All - I am new to the Avanti fold and bought mine in March of 2012. After filling the gas tank, the car was put into my one car detached garage (where it is kept) and I noted a strong gas odor in the closed garage which I had never encountered with my Corvair (the garage does have a roof vent). As the car was used the gas smell almost vanished and I searched on the forum and concluded that it was probably a vent doing its job.

Fast forward to the necessity for winter storage on SW Michigan. After prepping for storage (the "Bob Palma method" outlined in TW), I splurged and bought a zippered heavy duty plastic "car bag" big enough to enclose the Avanti for storage in the winter to eliminate moisture and vermin. All seemed well until I unzipped the bag a week after storing it and was greeted with the overwhelming smell of gasoline - I am guessing from the tank vent (the gas tank was filled and the car driven for 20 miles before being stored). There is no evidence that any liguid gas is dripping anywhere - I checked. The battery is out of the car and there are no other electrical devices that will start in the garage space on their own. Lighting is manually operated. There is little to no smell inside the garage itself which is 25" x 15' only inside the bag in which my Avanti is stored. I unzipped the bag and the smell lessened inside, but the anti-dessicant used inside the enclosure is kind of useless with the bag open or venting. Though I would imagine mice will be deterred, I don't want to risk damage to any of the components or finishes.

My question is this: will anything on my 1963 Avanti be damaged by being encased in a giant bag filled full of premium (!) gas fumes? Thanks for your thoughts, suggestions and comments...Bob

Originally posted by AnAvanti4Bob View Post
    Howdy All - I am new to the Avanti fold and bought mine in March of 2012. After filling the gas tank, the car was put into my one car detached garage (where it is kept) and I noted a strong gas odor in the closed garage which I had never encountered with my Corvair (the garage does have a roof vent). As the car was used the gas smell almost vanished and I searched on the forum and concluded that it was probably a vent doing its job.

Fast forward to the necessity for winter storage on SW Michigan. After prepping for storage (the "Bob Palma method" outlined in TW), I splurged and bought a zippered heavy duty plastic "car bag" big enough to enclose the Avanti for storage in the winter to eliminate moisture and vermin. All seemed well until I unzipped the bag a week after storing it and was greeted with the overwhelming smell of gasoline - I am guessing from the tank vent (the gas tank was filled and the car driven for 20 miles before being stored). There is no evidence that any liguid gas is dripping anywhere - I checked. The battery is out of the car and there are no other electrical devices that will start in the garage space on their own. Lighting is manually operated. There is little to no smell inside the garage itself which is 25" x 15' only inside the bag in which my Avanti is stored. I unzipped the bag and the smell lessened inside, but the anti-dessicant used inside the enclosure is kind of useless with the bag open or venting. Though I would imagine mice will be deterred, I don't want to risk damage to any of the components or finishes.

My question is this: will anything on my 1963 Avanti be damaged by being encased in a giant bag filled full of premium (!) gas fumes? Thanks for your thoughts, suggestions and comments...Bob
    YIPES!

Bob: The gas tank itself is undoubtedly weeping fumes at one or more of the spot-welds holding the internal baffles to the sides of the tank. Those welds crack over time and allow gas to seep out.

Carefully remove the car from that bag and garage immediately without starting it, and with the battery disconnected. Carefully remove the rear seat in a well-ventilated area. Have a fan blowing across the interior while you do this, and a good fire extinguisher at the ready.

Chances are excellent that, once you can see the side(s) of the tank, you'll see stains around the spot welds that indicate seepage.

This is a serious problem that needs to be addressed post haste before you have roast Avanti for Christmas Dinner. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Another possible Avanti issue is that the fuel pump diaphragm can rupture, and, with the Avanti gas tank being located higher than the engine, will cause the engine to fill up with gasoline. Check your oil dipstick - if the level is very high, this is what happened. Using all the obvious precautions, drain your oil/gas mixture (preferably outside) and replace your fuel pump. Make sure you have a big drain pan.

Comment

I don't think Chef Lowey ever had Avanti Flambe on the menu, but the bag, car, gas and the tank are some prime ingredients to use. My Avanti used to have the gas smell until I had the tank removed cleaned out, coated and the radiator shop also soldered al the spot welds on the outside of the tank, 64, I believe the number the repair guy told me he did. You might want to take it back out of storage, drain the tank, remove it and get the tank cleaned, coated and soldered over the winter.
        sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
          YIPES!

Bob: The gas tank itself is undoubtedly weeping fumes at one or more of the spot-welds holding the internal baffles to the sides of the tank. Those welds crack over time and allow gas to seep out.

Carefully remove the car from that bag and garage immediately without starting it, and with the battery disconnected. Carefully remove the rear seat in a well-ventilated area. Have a fan blowing across the interior while you do this, and a good fire extinguisher at the ready.

Chances are excellent that, once you can see the side(s) of the tank, you'll see stains around the spot welds that indicate seepage.

This is a serious problem that needs to be addressed post haste before you have roast Avanti for Christmas Dinner. BP
          Originally posted by plwindish View Post
          I don't think Chef Lowey ever had Avanti Flambe on the menu, but the bag, car, gas and the tank are some prime ingredients to use. My Avanti used to have the gas smell until I had the tank removed cleaned out, coated and the radiator shop also soldered al the spot welds on the outside of the tank, 64, I believe the number the repair guy told me he did. You might want to take it back out of storage, drain the tank, remove it and get the tank cleaned, coated and soldered over the winter.
          Thanks, Bob for your common sense info on this problem - I had no idea that this was the problem, but it does explain why i kept smelling gas ever since I got the Avanti in March

Jerry, The Oil was changed and is fine I ALWAYS check oil before running the car - your advice is appreciated...and I am looking for a big drain pan as the gas tank is FULL!

Paul, the "Avanti Flambe" comment while hysterically funny certainly cemented this problem in my mind...

The Car is out of the bag and now the whole garage smells like gas: I plan on draining the tank and removing it when this cold spell changes as my garage has no heat and (just guessing here ) using a space heater would probably NOT be a good idea! Looks like another project - thanks for the concern and comments, gentlemen...Bob

Comment

Before pulling the tank, get under the car and check the fuel line (and the fuel return line from the fuel pump) inch by inch. Often a pin hole or crack will develop at a clamp. Also, check the short rubber hose between the tank and the fuel line. These will crack and leak with age. Since the system is under gravity pressure due to the height of the tank, a "small" leak can become a big problem.
            Jim Bradley
            Lake Monticello, VA
            '78 Avanti II
            sigpic

Comment

and to add just a couple of other things to check. The hose filler between the tank and gas fill pipe is often cracked, which leaks fumes like crazy. In fact, all your rubber lines should be replaced. A very inexpensive fix. Oh, yes my tank was leaking too. Had it opened up, re-welded the baffles inside and coated. I think it was like $260 to get all this done.
              John
              1963 Avanti R2
              Marshall, VA

Comment

Bob

When I drained my 83 tank, it was full when I purchased it, I installed a gas shutoff valve between the gas line and the drain Tee under the passengers door. That will allow you to shut off the gas when you store it, act as a theft deterrent or drain the tank through the tee easily. Best of all, it will remind you to open it when you drive off and the engine quits in a quarter mile or so.

I'd tell you how I took more than 15 gallons of high test out of the 83 but I'm not about to recommend it in print. Needless to say, I did it outside and used three 6-gallon plastic fuel cans.

Replacing all of the rubber lines is also an excellent suggestion.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Rerun View Post
                  Before pulling the tank, get under the car and check the fuel line (and the fuel return line from the fuel pump) inch by inch. Often a pin hole or crack will develop at a clamp. Also, check the short rubber hose between the tank and the fuel line. These will crack and leak with age. Since the system is under gravity pressure due to the height of the tank, a "small" leak can become a big problem.
                  Thanks Jim - that certainly is better than draining the tank as the FIRST step: I will inspect carfully before pulling the tank...Bob

Comment

Originally posted by unimogjohn View Post
                    and to add just a couple of other things to check. The hose filler between the tank and gas fill pipe is often cracked, which leaks fumes like crazy. In fact, all your rubber lines should be replaced. A very inexpensive fix. Oh, yes my tank was leaking too. Had it opened up, re-welded the baffles inside and coated. I think it was like $260 to get all this done.
                    Thanks for commenting on the additional things to check - they are on my list...Bob

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
                      Bob

When I drained my 83 tank, it was full when I purchased it, I installed a gas shutoff valve between the gas line and the drain Tee under the passengers door. That will allow you to shut off the gas when you store it, act as a theft deterrent or drain the tank through the tee easily. Best of all, it will remind you to open it when you drive off and the engine quits in a quarter mile or so.

I'd tell you how I took more than 15 gallons of high test out of the 83 but I'm not about to recommend it in print. Needless to say, I did it outside and used three 6-gallon plastic fuel cans.

Replacing all of the rubber lines is also an excellent suggestion.

Bob
                      Bob thanks for the suggestion. I guess it's true that old cars need something if only the weather would cooperate...Bob (a fellow Michiganian) and I am the guy that bought the disc brake setup from you at the 2012 IM in South Bend - cheers)

Comment

If it is a 63 the line should come out almost in the middle of the tank through the glass. There will be a 90 degree bend screwed into the bottom of the tank. At that fitting I have seen a number of Jerry Rigged things done. Further down the fuel line right under the drivers seat there should be a "T". The bottom of the T should be a pipe plug. Remove that and have a large container under it. When you drain a tank it seems like it never wants to stop.

Comment

Originally posted by AnAvanti4Bob View Post
                          Bob thanks for the suggestion. I guess it's true that old cars need something if only the weather would cooperate...Bob (a fellow Michiganian) and I am the guy that bought the disc brake setup from you at the 2012 IM in South Bend - cheers)
                          Bob

I remember you and that gorgeous Avanti well. A most enjoyable experience from this end. That's why I made the suggestion. Hate to see it or you as Flambe. I also forgot the 63/64's had the Tee on the drivers side unlike the II's.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
                            Bob

I remember you and that gorgeous Avanti well. A most enjoyable experience from this end. That's why I made the suggestion. Hate to see it or you as Flambe. I also forgot the 63/64's had the Tee on the drivers side unlike the II's.

Bob
                            Bob, Yeah - Avanti Flambe to celebrate the New Year (not the best of ideas!). Thanks for the kind words about my Avanti. You, also are well-remembered and thanks for the correction...best to you in the New Year...Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
                              If it is a 63 the line should come out almost in the middle of the tank through the glass. There will be a 90 degree bend screwed into the bottom of the tank. At that fitting I have seen a number of Jerry Rigged things done. Further down the fuel line right under the drivers seat there should be a "T". The bottom of the T should be a pipe plug. Remove that and have a large container under it. When you drain a tank it seems like it never wants to stop.
                              Alan, thanks, for the suggested things to do and watch for: the Workshop Manual is a llittle cryptic on the "finer points" to be aware of. I always thought it pretty handy to have a drain plug incorporated in the fuel line. Studebaker people are always so helpful...Bob

Comment

Working...
                              X