Studebaker dealer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker dealer

My 64 GT was built 9-16-63 and shipped to Peoria, Illinois. What Studebaker dealers were in Peoria at that time? I would like to trace my Hawks history if its possible.

Thanks, Mark

I believe that would have Hopkins Studebaker, in peoria Heights, I have a manual some where with there name on it, I will try to see if that is right. I think they sold the only 1963 R-2 pkg wagon now being restored by Tony B . Myers Studebaker was a very successful dealer in nearby Washington, il . Where there more in Peoria ? Beres in Pekin,il was also very successful and around for many years.

Comment

Thanks lark63, wouldn't be nice if Hopkins sales records were still around or other dealer's records for that matter.

Mark

Comment

I was raised in a Studebaker driving family about 20 miles west of Peoria, but I don't remember my folks going to Peoria to deal Studebakers. I had a great uncle in Galesburg that had a Stude dealership until moving during the mid-50's to Denver. My parents always dealt with Associated Motors in Canton after that. I did take my 64 Avanti over to Beres in Pekin to have the auto trans rebuilt in 67.
        sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by JEWELL View Post
          My 64 GT was built 9-16-63 and shipped to Peoria, Illinois. What Studebaker dealers were in Peoria at that time? I would like to trace my Hawks history if its possible.

Thanks, Mark
          Keep in mind that the shipped to dealer is not always the selling dealer. A lot of rerouting and dealer swaps took/take place.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
            Keep in mind that the shipped to dealer is not always the selling dealer. A lot of rerouting and dealer swaps took/take place.
            Good point Gary, I do have one question, on my build sheet there is a factory order number and a sales order number. Can these numbers be used to show who ordered the car?

Comment

I have a pot holder with the following printed on it:
              " Love That Lark"
              Compliments of
              Joe Raya Studebaker, Inc.
              1000 S. W. Jefferson
              Peoria, ILL.
              Gary Sanders
              Nixa, MO

Comment

Originally posted by lark63 View Post
                I believe that would have Hopkins Studebaker, in peoria Heights, I have a manual some where with there name on it, I will try to see if that is right. I think they sold the only 1963 R-2 pkg wagon now being restored by Tony B . Myers Studebaker was a very successful dealer in nearby Washington, il . Where there more in Peoria ? Beres in Pekin,il was also very successful and around for many years.
                I bought out all the Studebaker parts from the Peoria Heights dealer (Hopkins) and this included a lot of Kaiser and Frazer parts. I might add that Peoria Heights is a separate entity and if a car was shipped to that dealer the P.O. would have specifically stated Peoria Heights.

The owner of the Washington dealership was John Meyer and he had been there since 1925. I bought most all of his pre WWII parts and Don Gay (Lowpoint, IL) bought the remainder. It was a very small dealership. Showroom could hold maybe 2 vehicles. I will bet he never sold a Hawk let alone an Avanti.

Two other Peoria dealers were Harry Terrell Motors and Peoria Motors. I believe the latter was a factory outlet.

Yes, Joe Raya was up on Main Street and he may well have been the dealer that sold the car in question.
                Richard Quinn
                Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Harry Terrell was the big dealer in the 50's-60's in Peoria. By that time he was located on Prospect Rd. in Peoria Heights. He had an earlier dealership somewhere else in Peoria. The 'Heights' building is now a Kawasaki dealer. If I have the story right...Joe Raya (Raya Motors) mentioned somewhere above had a small lot up on Main St. in Peoria in the early 60's but it didn't last more than a couple years. I think he (Raya) worked for Terrell & tried to start his own dealership but it didn't work out too well. As far as I know, Hopkins Motors in Peoria Heights was a Nash Rambler dealer in the 50's & AMC throughout the 60-70's. I had a '68 Rambler from Hopkins. Hopkins also was on Prospect Rd. in Peoria Heights. The building is still there & was obviously a car dealer in its day however it's been repurposed into some kind of specialty trinket & junk shop. If by chance the car was sold by Beres, again mentioned somewhere above, in Pekin Illinois, a few miles south of Peoria, Mr. Beres is still around. He's probably about 90 years old & I think he spends winters in Fla. One other Dealer in the area was Hoeffer Motors in East Peoria. It bordered the towns of East Peoria & Morton. It was just across the river from Peoria. Again, The building is still there. It's now an autobody repair shop. Good luck with your GT geneology!

Comment

By the way...Don Gay passed away a couple months ago. His wife and son-in-law are still trying to organize his collection of parts and are still selling things. Most of the old Studes sitting out in the lot are being parted out and what is left of the bodies is being scrapped. Don't panic. Nothing worth saving is being tossed. Most of the old junkers had sunk into the ground & the bodies had nothing left to save. A friend of mine bought the only thing in his lot that MIGHT have been worth saving. A '46 1-1/2 ton M 16. Barely runs but the dump bed still works. He plans on fixing it up & putting it back to light duty farm work.

Comment

My Dads 62 GT Hawk that he bought in 1964 came from Beres in Pekin. I have been parting it out, and noticed the sticker still on the car! Also my Grandfathers last new Studebaker came from Beres it was a 63 Lark Daytona wagonaire. It was sold back in the 80s as a parts car to someone in Cuba IL. I imagine it went to car heaven shortly after. I have lived here in the Peoria area my whole life, but wasn't born until 1966, so I am not much help with who the local dealers were, but it sure has been interesting reading about where they were. I think someone mentioned Windish Studebaker in Galesburg IL. That building is still standing and to this day you can still see the Studebaker name on the building!
                      1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

Working...
                      X