PDA

View Full Version : Alternate use for Studebaker parts. {ideas please}

jimmijim8
12-19-2012, 07:07 AM
Just cause I've got nothing better to do at this early hour I have decided to tell of a Studebaker car part that I have been using as of late for something I seemed to have misplaced. I am using a 56 Hawk tail light lens to scoop the coffee grinds from my Maxwell House container. In my man cave,that is. My wife wouldn't allow this type of behavior in the house. Any other uses abounding out there for your spare parts folks? Please add to the list. Other make parts are welcome also. cheers jimmijim

JEWELL
12-19-2012, 08:33 AM
I just love that jimmijim, made my day. Merry Christmas.

Studeous
12-19-2012, 09:06 AM
A friend of mine in the club has a bathroom in his shop. The exhaust fan has a 50 bullet nose cover. I have an extra 53 dash gauge pod that I would like to put a clock, home temp gauge, humidity, I pod dock, ect and put it on a desk.

FlatheadGeo
12-19-2012, 09:11 AM
I use old dog dish hubcaps, in the yard, as ash trays.

mr moto
12-19-2012, 09:12 AM
There's always valve cover racing! :D

rockne10
12-19-2012, 09:17 AM
Those dog dishes are perfect for changing the oil in the lawn mower.

Nox
12-19-2012, 02:22 PM
The big "fancy" hubcaps make real good frisbees! ...take care so them dogs don't hurt their teeth on them thou...
The smaller ones are way to pretty to destroy for a reason like that.

plwindish
12-19-2012, 02:37 PM
Two of my favorite things, Studebakers and coffee. I'll bet the tail light cover has never smelled better!

8E45E
12-19-2012, 02:49 PM
A '63-'66 horn ring makes a great towel rack for behind the bar.

Craig

Roscomacaw
12-19-2012, 02:55 PM
Dog dish bird baths in the herb bed. A '63 Cruiser rolling chassis for a workbench. A 2R front axle W/ brake drums and wheels as underpinnings of my Cacklack Coop deVille chicken tractor - also using a Lark door hinge and front crankshaft flange welded together to make a tow hitch. Then there's the 49 Commander lighter knob that's been serving as lid handle for my 12" frying pan for at least a decade now. It's turned white (from black) due to the heat and repeated runs in the dishwasher.

Roscomacaw
12-19-2012, 03:04 PM
19599 Thr 63-yesr old knob that still serves.

StudeRich
12-19-2012, 03:14 PM
OK that does it, Roscomacaw (Bob) (Biggs) (Biggsy) is the clear WINNER! :D

63t-cab
12-19-2012, 05:08 PM
Bob,can one assume you can't make a breakfast fit for a "CHAMPION" in that fry pan.
Dog dish bird baths in the herb bed. A '63 Cruiser rolling chassis for a workbench. A 2R front axle W/ brake drums and wheels as underpinnings of my Cacklack Coop deVille chicken tractor - also using a Lark door hinge and front crankshaft flange welded together to make a tow hitch. Then there's the 49 Commander lighter knob that's been serving as lid handle for my 12" frying pan for at least a decade now. It's turned white (from black) due to the heat and repeated runs in the dishwasher.

candbstudebakers
12-19-2012, 06:01 PM
Bob don't I remember once you and I having soup out of a dog dish cap once? or was that Steinkamp? or someone else, also have used cleaned stainless full wheel covers for crackers and dip at a Studebaker Xmas party once.

mbstude
12-19-2012, 06:05 PM
Not sure if it counts since it's still Stude related, but a '31 President 'El Diablo' radiator mascot makes a nice South Bend watch holder.

http://i1298.photobucket.com/albums/ag47/mattbphantom/DSCF65692_zps803dbca4.jpg

Roscomacaw
12-19-2012, 07:00 PM
Well, I've never dined on Stude stainless. I DO have some stainless butter knives out in the shop, but they're really unhandy with a piece of toast.

Matthew, I'll bet you have a devil of a time with that watch!

55s
12-19-2012, 07:33 PM
Bob: You have a frypan that has lasted over 10 years!?? I presume it does not have a teflon coating, because mine don't last very long before they are thrown out because the coating is coming off - dangerous to cook in. (Teflon is a carcinogen)

How about tailights for red Christmas lighting? How about Hubcaps for Air cleaner covers, frisbees? Old drums for hub pullers? Front and back ends for wall hangings and couches? (probably only allowed in the mancave). Whole cars for themed Diners.

How about: "I've got a real nice Studebaker grille. Can I trade you this very nice grille for a fry pan?"

Not that I've done any of this. Actually, come to think of it, there isn't much is there?

Kurt
12-19-2012, 07:52 PM
I have use the dog dish caps for cat food dishes. Kinda funny when you think about that.

Roscomacaw
12-19-2012, 07:57 PM
Actually, that lid has been used on several 12" fry pans. The glass don't wear out! BTW, the new WEAREVER Ceramic pans are REALLY Sweet! Not the green ones from the TV ads - these are gold on the outside and stark white inside. I've never had an easier-to-clean pan than these - and that lid works on it of late.

skyway
12-20-2012, 01:16 PM
This pales in comparison to youse guys, but my favorite Chrristmas tree ornament is a red teardrop from the center of a (probably 1942) Comm/Pres Phantom steering wheel.

kurtruk
12-21-2012, 12:06 AM
Then there's the 49 Commander lighter knob that's been serving as lid handle for my 12" frying pan for at least a decade now. It's turned white (from black) due to the heat and repeated runs in the dishwasher.

Hey Bob,

A knob from '49 would have started out translucent (sort of yellow) with a black center button. The 47-48s were black with a gold center button. Unless they didn't change the lighter knob in '49.

Studeous
12-21-2012, 01:59 AM
I use a pair of 65 wagon front end weights. One as a chock block. The other is now becoming more diverse by holding down-correcting a warped board on my back deck. As a matter of fact, I'm getting used to the rustic look and may just leave it there. A hilarious friend of my older brother said " It's so nice out, I think I'll leave it out"

rockinhawk
12-21-2012, 07:55 PM
I have a TP holder in my shop rest room made from 2 connecting rods.

mbstude
12-21-2012, 08:36 PM
I have a TP holder in my shop rest room made from 2 connecting rods.

And a '51 hood airplane for a towel holder.

Chris_Dresbach
12-22-2012, 12:17 AM
I used Studebaker body/frame rubber pads on a John Deere 110, they fit.
I've seen Zip Van front windshields used for desk toppers, hoods used for sleds, and even heard of two triangular (as in pre-war, 1940s) hoods being welded together to make a boat!

Though not a "part", we have an old light fixture that came from the factory. A chain was added to the top and it hung over a pool table for years. The pool table got sold, but the light has since been put in the garage. I have a couple more and I'm thinking about hooking them up in the basement; I feel they give it more of a "factory" feel.

Rooneytoons
12-22-2012, 01:44 PM
Bob: You have a frypan that has lasted over 10 years!?? I presume it does not have a teflon coating, because mine don't last very long before they are thrown out because the coating is coming off - dangerous to cook in. (Teflon is a carcinogen)

How about tailights for red Christmas lighting? How about Hubcaps for Air cleaner covers, frisbees? Old drums for hub pullers? Front and back ends for wall hangings and couches? (probably only allowed in the mancave). Whole cars for themed Diners.

How about: "I've got a real nice Studebaker grille. Can I trade you this very nice grille for a fry pan?"

Not that I've done any of this. Actually, come to think of it, there isn't much is there?

I know its not Studebaker but the car diner thing I have sat underneath a set of 32 ford chassis rails for lunch

SN-60
12-22-2012, 02:06 PM
A thoroughly cleaned, painted, and detailed Studebaker 6 or 8 cylinder 'flathead' cylinder head, (with spark plugs installed), makes an interesting and useful coat or towel rack..... (turned on it's side and bolted to
a wall), in the right enviroment!

aarrggh
12-22-2012, 08:25 PM
I put together two extra 38 grills and made a cheapy table thingy in my basement ..........

http://i50.tinypic.com/fa0xmg.jpg