• Show
Clear All

• Oops, Studie turns turtle.

Click image for larger version

Name:	50 champ turn turtle.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	1736996

Looks like it is repairable from this angle. Note original fender skirts and exhaust deflector.
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Kinda looks like a glass bottom boat.
    sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

I wonder if it was repaired and put back in service? People didn't throw away cars back then like they do now.
      "In the heart of Arkansas."
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]19594[/ATTACH]

Looks like it is repairable from this angle. Note original fender skirts and exhaust deflector.
        Also note the body color fender (rear quarter panel) welt.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
          I wonder if it was repaired and put back in service? People didn't throw away cars back then like they do now.
          Even with the glass not broken, it may not have been repaired.
          Sometimes more body damage is done in righting the car.
          Cars now have a fuel cut off for roll overs. Before that device, cars tended to keep running until the engine seized up from lack of lubrication or they couldn't draw any more fuel.
          I owned a one year old car (1970 model) that was rolled over. I ended up junking it.
          Last edited by studegary; 12-19-2012, 01:31 PM. Reason: missing a
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

My comment was in part based on some of the cars a friend of mine rebuilt. I've seen him drive to town for parts in a car with the top pushed half way down and no glass. He sometimes replaced whole tops, cowls, and the like to repair various cars. The work was done right, but he never sold them as anything, but a salvaged car.
            How does a car with a carburetor keep running while inverted?
            "In the heart of Arkansas."
            Searcy, Arkansas
            1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
            1952 2R pickup

Comment

My comment was in part based on some of the cars a friend of mine rebuilt. I've seen him drive to town for parts in a car with the top pushed half way down and no glass. He sometimes replaced whole tops, cowls, and the like to repair various cars. The work was done right, but he never sold them as anything, but a salvaged car.
              I see your point, but they do seem to run for a little while or at least keep turning without proper lubrication. I don't think that they run normally, but fuel is still being pumped into the carb./intake. I guess that they continue running on the fuel in the intake and combustion chambers. It doesn't take long without lubrication.

I too, have seen roll over cars rebuilt, but they were usually cars that rolled completely over and landed on their wheels. They didn't end up in the accident upside down as the pictured car did. Of course, roofs can be crushed in by other than a roll over.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

A carburated car should not be able to keep running when it is upside down as gravity would now have the float go to the top of the bowl shutting off the fuel flow. The fuel bowl would also empty itself through its vents. Direct injected vehicles are a whole different animal needing a fuel or ignition shut off in case of roll over. Years ago when I rolled over in a carburated stockcar the engine shut off immediately.
                Frank van Doorn
                Omaha, Ne.
                1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
                1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
                1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Working...
                X