Wheel Interchange Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel Interchange Question

I have a new set of 16" bias ply tires on a 39 Champion and they are terrible until you drive a while and they get warmed up (round again).
    I also have some good whitewall radials I could use just for running around town if I can find a 4 lug wheel that will fit. I mostly make short trips and don't get to enjoy the car much without the tire flat spots.
    The Champion wheel lugs/holes measure 4" center-to-center across.

What is the lug measurement on post war Studes with 4 hole wheels?
    Last edited by Lark Parker; 12-18-2012, 05:33 PM.
    sigpic
    Lark Parker --Just an innocent possum strolling down life's highway.

Dale,as far as I know all Stude Champion 4 hole wheels '39 and later have the same bolt hole spacing. When I converted my '41 Champion from stock wheels to 5 hole it had 15" 4 hole wheels on it instead of 16" ones which it would have originally been equipped with. I sold them to a guy in Wisconsin to use on his 1950 Champion.
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

The 15" wheels on my 1950 Champions are 4" from center of hole to center of hole, just like your 1939.
      sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
      1950 Champion Convertible
      1950 Champion 4Dr
      1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
      1957 Thunderbird

Comment

The 15" four bolt wheels used thru 1950 will fit all the 1939-46 Champions.
        Richard Quinn
        Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

You guys are fast and accurate. That makes my day -- which has been otherwise not so much.
          Thanks, now all I have to do is find a set of 4 lug 15"wheels.
          Last edited by Lark Parker; 12-18-2012, 05:31 PM.
          sigpic
          Lark Parker --Just an innocent possum strolling down life's highway.

Comment

Originally posted by Lark Parker View Post
            I have a new set of 16" bias ply tires on a 39 Champion and they are terrible until you drive a while and they get warmed up (round again).
            Unforeseen advantage to those old tires- allows the vehicle to warm up and not go too fast - too quick... Had a good friend back in Texas with a 1953 2R5 that had 6 ply bias tires on it - those things would flat side when it got below 45. Drove it once when it was about 30 - after a mile I can guarantee you anything loose on the truck (including all kinds of stuff in the glove box!) was lying on the road I had traveled over...

Comment

The flat spot effect may be worse with 6 ply tires and a truck suspension. The wide whites on my 52 always rode rough when I started out after it had been parked a while, but the effect went away fairly fast.
              "In the heart of Arkansas."
              Searcy, Arkansas
              1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
              1952 2R pickup

Comment

...this set just came on ebay
                sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Bob, I think he wants a set of 15". I've got a bunch of them, but I'm sure someone closer to Indiana has some too.

...this set just came on ebay[/QUOTE]
                  sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
                  1950 Champion Convertible
                  1950 Champion 4Dr
                  1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
                  1957 Thunderbird

Comment

The 710-15 4 ply bias plies on my 52 ride like solid rubber tires for about a quarter of a mile and are smooth after that.
                    Frank van Doorn
                    Omaha, Ne.
                    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed

Comment

Originally posted by 41 Frank View Post
                      The 710-15 4 ply bias plies on my 52 ride like solid rubber tires for about a quarter of a mile and are smooth after that.
                      Running the tire pressure called for in the owner's manual (24 frt. and 20 rear) my 60S is the softest riding vehicle on the property.

Comment

Don't forget, Dale; 4-bolt 1978-up Fairmont and 1979-up FOX-body Mustang wheels will also work. I don't remember any of them being available in 15", however, although I wouldn't be surprised if the aftermarket has 15" variants available. BP
                        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I will give your tip a try in the spring,thanks. I don't have an owners manual.
                          Originally posted by 62champ View Post
                          Running the tire pressure called for in the owner's manual (24 frt. and 20 rear) my 60S is the softest riding vehicle on the property.
                          Frank van Doorn
                          Omaha, Ne.
                          1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed

Comment

Working...
                          X