Ratio in 64 wagon with 259 and overdrive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: Ratio in 64 wagon with 259 and overdrive

My buddy has a 64 daytona wagon with a 259 with the three speed od tranny (I believe its od). What ratio is the rear end most likely? How to tell without crawling under it if its od? Is there t handle under the dash to engage od? Also car has disc brakes.

Does anybody know the dimensions of the rear end? Will it match the track of my 39 CE? What about the disc brakes, will the spindles fit on my 39? Do I even need to change the spindles?

Also it looks like I can swap the spindles side to side to convert it to front steer, can someone confirm this?
    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

The gear is more than likely 409.1 or 411.1 but this long after the car was built it could be almost anything form a 307.1,331.1,354.1, 373.1 also is it a 27 or a 44? not that it maters as to fitting and I don't think that it will bolt in under CE, and same for the front disk brakes, and what do you mean front steer?
    Candbstudebakers
    Castro Valley,
    California

Comment

Front steer refers to mounting a rack and pinion on the front of the cross member to make more room for a v engine in the narrow confines of the CE. It is possible that the engine will sit in there without changing to rack and pinion too.

Comment

Yes, there should be a Chrome Handle under the Left side of the dash stamped "O.D.".
        Under the hood you should find the Kickdown Switch and wiring on the throttle bellcrank at the rear of the Left Cyl. Head on a V-8 or on the Carb. linkage on a 6.

Also, it usually is not hard to see the Solenoid, Governor and third shift lever sticking out of the Tail Extension Housing (Overdrive Unit) on the back of the Trans.

late models like a '63 have 3.73 Ratio Standard with others optional. Cars with a 289 and wagons are Dana Model 44.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

This car is sitting with the wheels lying flat on the ground with the hubs/discs sitting on the steel wheels....its pretty low.

Comment

To answer your original question: According to the detailed 1964 Studebaker Advance Specifications folder, a 259/overdrive Daytona Wagonaire would have been equipped with a 3.73:1 rear axle ratio. Ironically, there were no options listed as being available, although we know it would have been possible to special-order one.

What color is the car? Is it in Lafayette or?? BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

The parts car? Well, actually it is not that bad and is actually restorable. it has dark blue I believe, the hood is covered with surface rust but the car aside from rusty rockers and minor holes in the floor is pretty solid. What do you need from it. he still has to get some things off it. I am seriously considering using the complete drive train in my CE. It looks to have about 102K miles on it. The pedals show zero wear. i consider it impossible to be a 2500 mile car but really it does not look like a 102K mile car either, judgning by the pedals. At the moment I am thinking I will probably make a deal with him for the drivetrain.

Heck, I might even put in the column shifter!

it is in lafayette...well outside near by.

Comment

I think you will find that the rear end is too wide for your pickup. The cars prior to 1953 were narrower and the late rears are too wide to fit well. Since the CE is car based I would think it would have the same problem. Measure the rear in the CE and, even if you can't get to the one in the wagon, someone can tell you the difference in width.
                The disc brakes may fit, but you would be better off with something easier to service from Turner.
                "In the heart of Arkansas."
                Searcy, Arkansas
                1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                1952 2R pickup

Comment

The rear end in my CE is 56.5" inside axle flange to inside axle flange, I believe it is a 61" tread, rear, 60 front....which is 4" wider than a 51, as an example.

Comment

Working...
                  X