PDA

View Full Version : Purchase From Studebaker Dealer

studegary
12-18-2012, 03:29 PM
Something that I was wondering about - Other than me, how many on the Forum purchased a Studebaker from an authorized Studebaker dealer while that dealer was still selling new Studebakers? Three other Forum members come to mind, but I was wondering if there are others. I want to limit this to current Forum members, not members of their families, etc.

12-18-2012, 03:48 PM
Something that I was wondering about - Other than me, how many on the Forum purchased a Studebaker from an authorized Studebaker dealer while that dealer was still selling new Studebakers? Two other Forum members come to mind, but I was wondering if there are others. I want to limit this to current Forum members, not members of their families, etc.
I may be one of the two coming to your mind, but anyhow... I bought a new '61 Cruiser from Don Schmid Motor(s), Inc in Wichita, Kansas in January 1961. I traded that car on a new Daytona Wagonaire at Joe Egle Motor Imports (also sold British cars) in Olathe, Kansas in April 1964. I don't know how long Don Schmid sold Studebakers, but Joe Egle continued selling Studebakers until the shutdown in Hamilton was announced.

plwindish
12-18-2012, 04:16 PM
I did, just barely, buying a 64 Avanti R 1 in February 1966, taking delivery on April 1st (an often used personal property tax dodge in Illinois when personal property tax was much more relied on). I purchased the Avanti from Associated Motors, Jack Hardy being the salesman and one of the principle owners, in Canton Illinois. They were still selling new "Canadian" Studes at the time and had picked up a Dodge dealership which they had until the mid-seventies when the downtown was redeveloped. I was a senior in high school at the time and remember taking out a $1000 loan to complete the purchase after depleting most of my savings account.

thunderations
12-18-2012, 04:25 PM
I purchased a used, 1962, Studebaker Daytona 2Dr Hardtop from Newman and Altmann Studebaker in South Bend in 1965. I was a senior at Mishawaka High School. The Daytona had been a Studebaker corporate car,(one of the VP's) and my Grandfather knew I was looking for a different car. My 61 Corvair Monza was giving me fits. My grandfather worked at the South Bend plant until he retired, just a couple months prior to the plant shutting down. He kept in touch with many of his co workers after retirement. He had knowledge of the Daytona becoming available and it became my pride and joy. So, I didn't purchase a new Studebaker while they were available, but a used one from a dealer while they were still selling new Studebakers. At that time, there were still new Studebaker Avantis available that had not sold. I couldn't even come close to affording one, they were over $3000. I almost bought a DKW from Freeman Spicer Studebaker in South Bend, but common sense somehow took over and I didn't.

studegary
12-18-2012, 04:26 PM
Paul J. was one of the four that I had in mind. Paul W. adds a fifth. Hopefully, there are more. John P. and George K. were the other remaining two that I had in mind.

EDIT: Ken W. brought the total to six while I was posting this.

E. Davis
12-18-2012, 04:55 PM
I bought a new 1959 Silver Hawk from a dealership in Helena, Montana. Dealer name escapes me but I think it was Capital Motors or something like that.

studegary
12-18-2012, 05:03 PM
Now seven. This is adding up faster than I expected.

LarkTruck
12-18-2012, 05:08 PM
FWIW, I bought a used 64 Champ P/U from former Stude Dealer Herman Smith, of Smith Motors, Lebanon Pa. when he was selling used cars for a used car dealer in the 80's. I know, I know, that's not what you were looking for! :-)
JS

DEEPNHOCK
12-18-2012, 05:10 PM
I was with my dad when he picked up his new '61 Hawk from Pabich Motors in Roselle, Il.....

Bob Caser
12-18-2012, 06:30 PM
Purchased a Avanti R5051 from Bendix Motors, in Fairview, New Jersey on Oct 24,1963. Still have it !
Bob Caser

8E45E
12-18-2012, 06:34 PM
Yes indeed, Clive Sales & Service was still in operation in 1979 when I made some purchases from them. Laurence Williams, the proprietier of the dealership still had an active account with Newman & Altman at the time ordering parts (mainly mechanical) on a regular basis as there were still a number of 'daily driver' Studes around then.

Craig

Alan
12-18-2012, 08:10 PM
Bought a 62 Lark 2DR. Sedan Deluxe from Keys Motors on Lankershime Blvd in North Hollywood in Sept. of 62, just as the 63's were coming in. I wanted that Avanti bad but I couldn't afford the $5,500 price tag at the time. The Lark cost me $2,800.

StudeRich
12-18-2012, 08:20 PM
Something that I was wondering about - Other than me, how many on the Forum purchased a Studebaker from an authorized Studebaker dealer while that dealer was still selling new Studebakers? /Cut/

I barely made it under the wire! Since you did not say a New Stude.!

Yes I bought a Used '52 Commander 232 V-8, 2 Door Sedan with Overdrive and Dual Exhausts from the dealership my Dad worked at: Frank H. Afton in Inglewood, CA in 1962.

I was with Dad on Dec. 24, 1964 when we picked up his New Canadian built Astra White '64 Daytona Hardtop however. It cost him $2500.00 it was a leftover '64, after the '65 Models came out so it was discounted. He figured it was his last chance to get a new Stude. with a real Stude. Engine so he had to have it. :)

Clem64
12-18-2012, 08:57 PM
I'll raise my hand. May 30th. 1964, a brand new 63' 8E5 Champ PU, T-4 Cab, short wide box with a Skybolt Six, 3 speed (no OD), TT, rear bumper, color White. Purchased from "The Studebaker Center" on Westlake Ave. in Seattle, Wash. Price $2050 out the door, no trade in. They remained a Studebaker dealer to the end in '66 then later with Toyota.

plwindish
12-18-2012, 09:13 PM
Gary, I think you'll find quite a few of us that fit into the category of buying a Stude from a Stude dealer while new Studes were being sold. I'm 64 and consider myself one of the younger Stude owners that would have been able to have that experience.

Jim Freed
12-18-2012, 09:14 PM
Bought a !955 Speedster in 1956 from Berwyn Detweiler Dealership in Uniontown Pa. It was a leftover Demo. so it was never titled. It was a really great car beautiful and fast, but I was to young to appreciate it drag racing and doing all the things us young guys did back then. Lots of good memories. The dealership is still in business selling used cars and the salesman who sold me the car now lives at the Villages So. of Ocalla Fl and is still a good friend. I have a speedster project I'm working on,hope I live long enough to finish it.

Bob Langer
12-18-2012, 09:34 PM
Bought my 64 R-2 Daytona convertible from the family dealership.

studefan
12-18-2012, 09:39 PM
Bob, check your PM please.

58 Hawk
12-19-2012, 08:39 AM
I have a 1958 Studebaker Golden Hawk that my father sold as he was a Studebaker Dealer in East Liverpool, Ohio . The Car was sold and later traded-in on a newer hawk model. Guess it doesn't get any better to have a car from a Studebaker authorized dealer when the dealer is in fact your father
Happy Holidays , Joe

12-19-2012, 09:54 AM
I may be one of the two coming to your mind, but anyhow... I bought a new '61 Cruiser from Don Schmid Motor(s), Inc in Wichita, Kansas in January 1961. I traded that car on a new Daytona Wagonaire at Joe Egle Motor Imports (also sold British cars) in Olathe, Kansas in April 1964. I don't know how long Don Schmid sold Studebakers, but Joe Egle continued selling Studebakers until the shutdown in Hamilton was announced.
FWIW.

http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/1961%20Cruiser/Copy%20of%20Sale%20document.jpg

http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Production%20orders/Copy%20of%20Wagonaire%20sales%20ticket.jpg

StudeMichael
12-19-2012, 10:36 AM
AM/FM radio and a/c Paul, nice!

stude1964
12-19-2012, 10:43 AM
Paul
Your '64 wagon is tricked out similar to my '64! We'll have to get them together,mine is Laguna Blue & 3rd seat-hope I don't get a flat! But the real reason for my post was to mention that our family bought a used '65 Commander from my uncle's dealership-Reese's Garage in Bucks Co.,PA. about 30 miles north of Phila.,PA. My uncle sold Studes up until the 80's. He would buy or trade cars from a Stude dealer in Phillpsburg,NJ.-Henderson Motors. I was lucky to obtain his inventory & signs to keep them in the family. A week before my Dad died we lined up the fleet of '64's in front of the garage which still has the Reese's Garage sign on the building( as the mechanic who worked for my uncle Al bought the business) & took pics w/my Aunt & Uncle as if it were '64 all over again. Lots of people stopped and stared as well as thumbs up! There will be a story put together about the event by the guy who "sees you in the future as he writes about the past"!
Rob in PA.

12-19-2012, 10:45 AM
AM/FM radio and a/c Paul, nice!
The dealer hadn't seen an AM-FM radio yet so he threw it in the deal.

12-19-2012, 10:52 AM
Paul
Your '64 wagon is tricked out similar to my '64! We'll have to get them together,mine is Laguna Blue & 3rd seat-hope I don't get a flat! But the real reason for my post was to mention that our family bought a used '65 Commander from my uncle's dealership-Reese's Garage in Bucks Co.,PA. about 30 miles north of Phila.,PA. My uncle sold Studes up until the 80's. He would buy or trade cars from a Stude dealer in Phillpsburg,NJ.-Henderson Motors. I was lucky to obtain his inventory & signs to keep them in the family. A week before my Dad died we lined up the fleet of '64's in front of the garage & took pics w/my Aunt & Uncle as if it were '64 all over again. Lots of people stopped a stared as well as thumbs up! There will be a story put together about the event by the guy who "sees you in the future as he writes about the past"!
Rob in PA.
I had a Wagonaire ordered in November, '63 just before the South Bend announcement. Studebaker canceled my order and tried to get me to take one from stock. It had absolutely everything I wanted, but with two differences. It had a black interior (wanted red) and it had the third seat. I didn't want that either so I passed. When I reordered from Hamilton I couldn't get a 289 with overdrive, reclining bucket seats, factory-installed AC or all tinted glass. Had to settle for a 259, split reclining seats, dealer-installed Studebaker AC and tinted windshield only. I also didn't order power steering either time as my '61 Cruiser handled just fine without it. Big mistake rectified a few years later thanks to a donor '64 Daytona hardtop in a salvage yard in Hayward, CA.

50starlite
12-19-2012, 11:14 AM
I bought a new white 1962 Lark 2 door Dlx, v8 w/o.d. in the fall of 1961 from Freeman - Spicer in South Bend. They took a 1957 DKW off my hands (that’s another story) and about $1800. I had the car until 1968 when all the rust won out. Other than that, a great little car.

plwindish
12-19-2012, 11:48 AM
50starlite, Pardon my abbreviation ignorance, but what is a DKW? Don't Know What??

GEEMAC
12-19-2012, 12:08 PM
I bought a new 62 gt from Lyle Auto SAles in ft. madison ia.&a new 63 slider roof wagon in 63, both lovely autos. Mac.By the way i had the 1st black gt with a saddle tan interior they made, when i ordered the car they did not offer this int. so i told my dealer no go . he called studerbaker and told them what was up, they called back a few minutes later and said no problem they would do it, what a co.Geemac.

mrjazzmillcreek
12-19-2012, 12:29 PM
Purchased a new 62 2 dr Deluxe in Black from Packham Motors in Grimsby Ontario.Car was nothing but problems ,Dealer finally sent it back to Hamilton plantfor them to fix . One of thee worsst Studes I ever owned

StudeRich
12-19-2012, 12:41 PM
50starlite, Pardon my abbreviation ignorance, but what is a DKW? Don't Know What??

DKW was the name of the German Car that some Studebaker Packard Mercedes Dealers also sold, built by the Auto Union AG, at the time owned by Diamler Benz Corp. AG

I believe they were 2 Cycle, motorcycle engined, quite small Cars.

........19598............................................... 19597
................A 1964 ..........................................................A 1965, after the Audi merger

Danish engineer Jörgen Skafte Rasmussen was the originator of the
DKW, derived from Dampf - Kraft - Wagen (Steam powered
vehicle), since Rasmussen's first design was a light steam car,
produced in 1916.

StudeRich
12-19-2012, 12:43 PM
Purchased a new 62 2 dr Deluxe in Black from Packham Motors in Grimsby Ontario.Car was nothing but problems ,Dealer finally sent it back to Hamilton plantfor them to fix . One of thee worsst Studes I ever owned

Ahh, it HAD to be a 170 OHV Six!

WCP
12-19-2012, 01:18 PM
Bought a '63 GT Hawk from Capitol Motors in Kingston, Ontario in July 1963. Purchase price was $3400 CDN vs a list of $4200 CDN. I kept it for 40 years, show worthy and unrestored. I couldn't afford an Avanti in 1963. It took me 'till 1978 to acquire one.

R3 challenger
12-19-2012, 01:26 PM
Interesting idea, Gary. As you mentioned, I bought the Plain Brown Wrapper from Studebaker of Indianapolis in July, 1964. My dad bought a new '64 Bordeaux Red R2 Super Hawk from a Chicago dealer in January of 1964, a car that I later owned.

A related question would be how many Forum members purchased a used Studebaker from an authorized Studebaker dealer? Probably quite a few.

Several years ago, SDC member Al Crisi and I ran notices in Turning Wheels asking for responses from people who bought a new Studebaker and had owned it continuously ever since...to the present. We have a list of around 60 SDC members who did that and still own the car.

George

Dick Clemens
12-19-2012, 01:46 PM
I bought my mother a 1966 commander 2 dr. from Danyluk Studebaker in Glendale CA, Jan. 66, 6 cyl., 3 spd(no o/d), and radio. When I took her to pick it up(it was a surprize) she saw the dog dish caps and told Danyluk that she wouldn't even get in it till it had full caps on it. He went to parts and got a set of 64 disc's for her. $1855 out the door. She was happy and had it till she passed in 1980.

studedick from the lower Ozarks

Doug Bowen
12-19-2012, 01:56 PM
My Uncle bought a new '64 GT Hawk in Bloomsburg, PA. (Robbins dealership, I believe).

As a 16 year old I used to bug him to let me take it and clean it. In 1972 (six months after I got married), he called me and said, "come get your Hawk".

It sits in my garage as this is written. 43,000 original miles.

He bought it new, then gave it to me. Pretty neat Uncle, eh?

old digger
12-19-2012, 02:56 PM
I bought a used 54 Starlight in 61 from Randolf Light Studebaker in Bloomington Mn. Wish I still had it.:(

studegary
12-19-2012, 02:56 PM
There are more than I would have expected here on the Forum.
I expect that there are a lot of people that fit the criteria, but are not on the Forum. Many of the Forum members are too young or got interested in Studebakers at a later age. I didn't buy a Studebaker until I was in my 20s.
Of course, many of the posts have deviated from my original requirements.

nels
12-19-2012, 03:31 PM
This might be a stretch but kinda cool: I bought a factory !964 R3 Avanti from the owner of the Stude dealership back in 1977. He ordered it new and used it until the early 70's at which time he put it in storage.

JER
12-19-2012, 08:29 PM
I bought a '58 Silver Hawk from a dealer in Napa, Idaho in '58. My '56 Golden Hawk died close to that dealer. Then in '61 I bought a '61 Hawk from Sweeney & Sons in Daily City, Ca. Ordered new from factory with 4 speed,TT and power pack. That car was a slug next to the '58 so I dumped it. In '64 I got a '64 Cruiser from the same dealer in Daily City, Ca.
John Ratliff

mike cenit
12-21-2012, 04:06 PM
Purchased a Avanti R5051 from Bendix Motors, in Fairview, New Jersey on Oct 24,1963. Still have it !
Bob Caser

About the time you bought your Avanti at Bendix Motors I was a avertising trainee at the Bergen Evening Record in Hackensack.
In the fall of each year they ran a new car tab with most of the Bergen County dealers running new car ads in it. There was a dealer on Main St, Hackensack, a small one or two car show room, 299 Main Street was the address. I placed a 2 column, 2 inch ad for them that had a photo of the #9 Avanti at the Salt Flats, that said Avanti....at Oritani Motors, I have it someplace, I'll find it and post it.

I remember Bendix Motors, I think it was on Rt 46 between the Bendix Diner and the Trader Horn TV store, near to or next to a Volvo dealer.
That diner had some pretty good home made pies.

Bob Caser
12-21-2012, 06:43 PM
About the time you bought your Avanti at Bendix Motors I was a avertising trainee at the Bergen Evening Record in Hackensack.
In the fall of each year they ran a new car tab with most of the Bergen County dealers running new car ads in it. There was a dealer on Main St, Hackensack, a small one or two car show room, 299 Main Street was the address. I placed a 2 column, 2 inch ad for them that had a photo of the #9 Avanti at the Salt Flats, that said Avanti....at Oritani Motors, I have it someplace, I'll find it and post it.

I remember Bendix Motors, I think it was on Rt 46 between the Bendix Diner and the Trader Horn TV store, near to or next to a Volvo dealer.
That diner had some pretty good home made pies.

Bendix Motors was located at 11 Anderson Ave,in Fairview, New Jersey. They did not even have a showroom to put a car into. There was a larger dealer a few miles away Dan Zeeman motors,in West New York, NJ, who had a real showroom and service department. I believe that in 1963 Studebaker added a large amount of dealers that would not have qualified in previous years.

Bob

JDP
12-21-2012, 06:59 PM
1963 GT Hawk From Freeman Spicer in South Bend. It was a end of the model year purchase, and I paid $2800 against a $3500 sticker. (Blue mist,3 speed OD, recliners, radio,tach and clock.

T-CAB
12-21-2012, 09:20 PM
Helped my father pick out a new white 1964 Daytona 4-door from Capital Motor Sales in Kingston Ontario. in March 1964. The car was delivered in early May. I have the privilage to driving it home from the dealership. I can remember that the door alignment was slightly off. the mechanic took a piece of wood and put in the hinge area. After a few slams the door fit correctly!

The car is now undergoing a complete wheels off restoration.

T-cab

mike cenit
12-21-2012, 09:31 PM
Your right, for some reason I thought they were on RT 46, there was also a dealer in Englewood, M&M Motors, they one in North Bergen also. I bought my first Studebaker, a 62 GT Hawk at Almyra Studebaker on Coney Island Ave, Brooklyn, they were former Packard dealers.

Sam Ensley
12-22-2012, 01:19 AM
Mr. Burris,
I hope you will forgive me for going ahead and posting your story on the forum. I was just anxious for it to get there. I posted it just as you wrote it. Below is the complete transcript of my post:

When I first saw this thread, I thought about Edward Burris from the Atlanta area and who is on the national board of the driver's club. I knew that he had bought both his 1963 Cruiser and 1964 Avanti new. I contacted him to post his buying experience, but he said he had never had success posting on the forum, but maybe he would. Hopefully, he will and tell more of his story, but here is what he emailed me in his own words:

"In 1949 I purchased a new Studebaker Starlight Coupe from Armacost Motors in Kansas City, Missouri. In 1951 I had to have an automatic transmission and traded it in with the same dealer for a Commander Starlight Coupe. In 1956 I purchased a Sky Hawk from a dealer in Atlanta. In 1962 we purchased the 1963 Cruiser from Harris Motors in Lawrenceville, Georgia. In 1964 I bought the Avanti from the same dealer."

Mr. Burris is a fine gentleman who works hard for the Stiudebaker Drivers Club. His Cruiser and Avanti look about the same, or better, than the day he bought them new.

12-22-2012, 11:59 AM
Mr. Burris,
I hope you will forgive me for going ahead and posting your story on the forum. I was just anxious for it to get there. I posted it just as you wrote it. Below is the complete transcript of my post:

When I first saw this thread, I thought about Edward Burris from the Atlanta area and who is on the national board of the driver's club. I knew that he had bought both his 1963 Cruiser and 1964 Avanti new. I contacted him to post his buying experience, but he said he had never had success posting on the forum, but maybe he would. Hopefully, he will and tell more of his story, but here is what he emailed me in his own words:

"In 1949 I purchased a new Studebaker Starlight Coupe from Armacost Motors in Kansas City, Missouri. In 1951 I had to have an automatic transmission and traded it in with the same dealer for a Commander Starlight Coupe. In 1956 I purchased a Sky Hawk from a dealer in Atlanta. In 1962 we purchased the 1963 Cruiser from Harris Motors in Lawrenceville, Georgia. In 1964 I bought the Avanti from the same dealer."

Mr. Burris is a fine gentleman who works hard for the Stiudebaker Drivers Club. His Cruiser and Avanti look about the same, or better, than the day he bought them new.
Interesting coincidence! Shortly after the introduction of the '61 Larks my wife and I were driving from Athens to Atlanta. As we drove through Lawrenceville (pre-Interstates) we happened to pass by a dealer with a big '61 Studebaker banner out front. There was a good selection of Studebakers on the lot so we decided to stop and look. I was driving a '57 Plymouth with "Yankee" tags which aroused some hostility in parts of Georgia in those days. However, a salesman came out and saw us looking. He just tossed me the keys to a black Cruiser (very well-equipped) and told me to take it for a drive. So we did. That sure narrowed our search for a new car to '61 Larks (that Cruiser was NICE!).
We did end up with a new '61 Cruiser later on.

candbstudebakers
12-22-2012, 12:37 PM
I never bought a new Studebaker from the dealer but came close in 63 with the R-2 GT hawk but just could not fit it into the budget back then if I remember right the price on the stock not R-2 was $3200.00 so I ended up with a 63 SS 409 4 speed Impala that I could not turn down , the dealer wanted it off his show room that day for $2700.00 the salesman was an relative of my new wife. but in about 67 I did buy a 62 champ V-8 3 speed with overdrive 4.27 TT rear end with long fendered bed for $1300.00 from Ben Begier Studebaker of San Leandro, California. If Studebaker had continued I know that I would have bought a lot more new ones down the line.

studegary
12-22-2012, 02:58 PM
1963 GT Hawk From Freeman Spicer in South Bend. It was a end of the model year purchase, and I paid $2800 against a $3500 sticker. (Blue mist,3 speed OD, recliners, radio,tach and clock.

John P. is one of the few that I originally had in mind when I started this thread/topic.

studegary
12-22-2012, 03:01 PM
Mr. Burris,
I hope you will forgive me for going ahead and posting your story on the forum. .

Ed B. is one of the ones that I thought of that fit the criterion of purchasing from a Studebaker dealer. He is also one of the many that I referred to as not meeting the criterion of being on the Forum (at least I do not remember seeing him as a poster here).

candbstudebakers
12-22-2012, 04:45 PM
Carl and Herman Thoms of Studebaker"s West in Redwood City, California have not owned anything but Studebakers, but not sure if they ever bought one new from a dealer, I think their dad bought the 51 land cruiser new and they still drive it across the country from time to time.

SusieQ
11-09-2016, 09:54 PM
Ray, sent you a PM. SueLusted

ert62 hawlk
11-09-2016, 10:22 PM
Bought my black 1963 GT, 4speed, R1 from the dealer in Jackson Mississippi . Traded in a White 1959 Lark hardtop, V8 ,3 speed,80,000 miles which was my first new car that I purchased on Dec 31, 1958 from the dealer in Memphis TN. I put 500 miles on the Lark before noon Jan 1,1959. Wish I still had both.