PDA

View Full Version : Automotive News - Dealer Counts, October 1, 1965

2R2
12-17-2012, 10:57 PM
As I continue to clean the basement, I will post some tidbits from a few boxes of Automotive news (the automotive trade publication) I came across, as I have issues from the '50s - '70s.

First up, domestic (USA) dealer counts, as of October 1, 1965

AMC.................2,709
Chrysler........... 6,484
Ford.................7,425
GM.................13,680
Studebaker........1,524

Of Studebaker's 1,524 dealers, 213 were dualed with another domestic make. Of course, many Stude dealers were also selling an import or two, but I do not have the figures on this.

avantilover
12-18-2012, 01:28 AM
It was really too late by then as we had lost all trucks and Hawks, not to forget our engines and design teams. Of course we had basically a 1953 body with "modern" ends, but had those dealers made more effort perhaps the Automotive Division may have been able to justify its existence by producing a profit and convincing the board, bankers and shareholders it was worth funding.

JRoberts
12-18-2012, 07:18 AM
What could dealers have done in 1965 to make a bigger effort to sell the cars they were offered to sell? It really seems that corporate had already given up on their automotive division. It was noble, if nothing else, for Studebaker of Canada to give it a last shot, but the writing must have already been on wall.

8E45E
12-18-2012, 08:46 AM
What could dealers have done in 1965 to make a bigger effort to sell the cars they were offered to sell? It really seems that corporate had already given up on their automotive division. It was noble, if nothing else, for Studebaker of Canada to give it a last shot, but the writing must have already been on wall.

Its too bad the Claritone-CMI deal didn't work out, although we would have seen Japanese cars rebadged as Studebakers.

Craig

2R2
12-18-2012, 01:32 PM
Looking at the numbers again, it just occured to me that on average, Studebaker's dealers were selling roughly ONE car a month. It had to be a lonely time for a new car salesman at a Stude dealer.

qsanford
12-18-2012, 03:54 PM
Does the Archive have lists of the Dealers?

Corvanti
12-18-2012, 04:39 PM
Does the Archive have lists of the Dealers?

i don't know if anyone has cataloged dealers by location or dates, that is still available online, but this may help someone to take on that task :): http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?1021-Studebaker-Dealers&highlight=dealers

(http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?1021-Studebaker-Dealers&highlight=dealers)