Need a puller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a puller

I'm rebuilding a 170 CI Champion motor and need a puller to remove the camshaft and crankshaft gears. Does anyone have one to sell or know where I can get one? The puller is essentially a heavy short steel bar with a large center bolt for pulling and two outer screws that screw into the gear. I've already shattered the camshaft gear trying to use a universal puller.

To: Pentax645,---Sometimes You can find one at a 'Harbor Freight' store priced reasonably......or an 'Auto Zone' or 'Advance' store may have one for rent.

Comment

The Tool you need is a Standard "Gear Puller" available at stores that sell tools.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Auto Zombies rents tools, they usually have a good selection of pullers and only require a deposit of approximately the value of the tool.

Comment

Most decent Auto Parts Stores will rent the tool for free, but you must leave a deposit. The deposit usually amounts to the value of the tool, but is refunded with its return.
          sals54

Comment

Pentax--I went with Craftsman (made in USA with lifetime warranty). Buy it once and have it forever. Just did this with my six and it worked great. Harder part is getting the gears pushed back on so be patient. I ended up using a short piece of pipe and series of washers to push my cam gear back on. Good luck

Comment

Check the tool loan policies of your local auto parts store. The one down the street from me has an entire selection of special purpose tools and they don't charge anything as long as the tool is returned the same day.
              Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
              Kenmore, Washington
              hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
              '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
              '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
              '69 Pontiac Firebird
              (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Comment

StudebakerParts.Com has the puller as well as the Crankshaft gear installer at reasonable prices. Not sure if they have the cam gear installer but it is similar to the crank gear installer and can easily be made from a long bolt. I made both from a blue print on the tech section of this forum.
                For that matter I made all the special tools needed for my 56 Champion rebuild so far including the tool for installing the connecting rod pin, control arm spreader, and control arm bushing installers and support for a press including building the 20 to press to do it. I just followed the photos in the manual to make them sometimes guessing at what you couldn't see.
                Nick

Comment

OK, I did a search for this article on the installation tools and it does not seem to be on this forum anymore. I had printed off the original so if anyone needs it I would be happy to make and mail a copy. This appeared in Turning Wheels of Sept 2004.
                  Nick

Comment

Working...
                  X