hydrovac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: hydrovac

i have a 1958 packard and it has a hydrovac in it..
    i had it rebuilt...and it does not work...
    i put dot 5 brake fluid in it..would that make a difference?
    is ther a replacement for the hydrovac?
    nebr66@cox.net

I don't know if the brake fluid has anything to do with it. Have you contacted the rebuilder regarding warranty.
    Studebaker Int. has new and rebuilt. I bought a new one for the speedster and am to receive a $100 refund when I return the used unit.

Comment

To: hudsonbill,----Send Me a PM for more info on this.

Comment

The higher dot-number = the higher temperature the brake-fluid can take before it starts boiling.
        & be sure you do NOT use synthetic brake-fluid in a system that had mineral fluid in, if you wanna do that then you need to change every little bit first! ...meaning pipes, hoses & cyliders!
        I have a friend who's working in a garage & there's a young guy working who didn't believe it...

Comment

I wish I could remember what was put into Cleo's system when her brakes were done. Like all Packards that got power brakes- she's got a HydroVac. I really need to rescue her from that garage (storage) in San Diego- or move back down there- I miss those fins!!!

I can hardly wait to begin Nelly's brake-job...
          She's also got a HydroVac~
          and about a MILE of brake lines!!!

It's gonna be fun fun fun.
          StudeDave '57
          US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
          SDC Member since 1985

past President
          Whatcom County Chapter SDC
          San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
          San Diego Chapter SDC
          North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Originally posted by hudsonbill View Post
            i have a 1958 packard and it has a hydrovac in it..i had it rebuilt...and it does not work...i put dot 5 brake fluid in it..would that make a difference? is ther a replacement for the hydrovac? nebr66@cox.net
            There's nothing inherently wrong with the Hydrovac system. They were used by every US manufacturer on several million light trucks and cars in the '50s and early '60s. That yours does not work is the fault of the rebuilder or the installer. Take it back to them and have them make it work.

jack vines
            PackardV8

Comment

You say that you put brake fluid "in the Hydrovac".
              Aren't you supposed to use neats foot oil in the Hydrovac ?
              Brake fluid in the master cylinder.
              South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Originally posted by 55 56 PREZ 4D View Post
                You say that you put brake fluid "in the Hydrovac".
                Aren't you supposed to use neats foot oil in the Hydrovac ?
                Brake fluid in the master cylinder.
                That statement bothered me also.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

i put in 1 oz.. of neats foot oil in the hydrovac..

Comment

A word of caution: Make absolutely certain you do not have any DOT 5 fluid being sucked past the cylinder seal and into the vac side of the Hydrovac. Silicon based brake fluid can destroy a perfectly good engine (or motor, or whatever). Hydrovacs are known to suck all the brake fluid into the intake.

Comment

Jack is right they work fine if properly maintained. On my Speedster the Hydrovac grabbed badly; i read the manual and put a small amount of Neats-foot oil in it and the problem went away. BTQ, the place yu put the oil in is really a lousy location, you have to pull the battery and its on the bottom of the housing. I used a street elbow and permanent stand pipe to add the neatsfoot now.
                      My car uses only DOT-7 fluid, no brake problems for 12 years.

Hope this helps, Good Luck, Murray

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                      There's nothing inherently wrong with the Hydrovac system. They were used by every US manufacturer on several million light trucks and cars in the '50s and early '60s. That yours does not work is the fault of the rebuilder or the installer. Take it back to them and have them make it work.

jack vines
                      Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

http://sites.google.com/site/intrigu...tivehistories/

(/url) https://goo.gl/photos/ABBDQLgZk9DyJGgr5

Comment

I sent it back to the rebuilder ////
                        Last edited by hudsonbill; 12-17-2012, 10:26 PM.

Comment

"Booster Dewey" did a great job with my '63 Avanti's unit.
                          Power Brake Booster Exchange, Inc. 4335 SE 63rd Ave. Portland, OR 97206 (503) 238-8882

Comment

Booster Dewey only does firewall mounted brake boosters - not Hydrovacs. Last I knew, though, Brake Systems Inc. in Portland, OR could rebuild Hydrovacs.

Comment

Working...
                            X