Pertronix Install Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition: Pertronix Install Today

Today I plan to install the Pertronix "Ignitor II" (part #91181), with Accel "Super Stock" coil (part #8140C) in the wife's 63GT, with Delco, window type distributor. My older brother has had exactly this set-up in his 1949 Stude truck (with Stude 289 and 12 volt system) for about six months now, and it has never started better, especially when cold. He claims it also starts better when hot. When cold, it is probably the quickest starting Stude V8 I have ever heard, and hardly completes even one revolution before firing.

I also plan to install new spark plugs and gap them to around .040", as my brother has done.

The Ignitor II has several benefits over the earlier version, including a provision to keep it from frying itself if the key is accidentally left on too long. It also, supposedly provides a hotter spark when cranking over due to a sensor of some sort. I am not an electronics wizard by any stretch, but will report back on how my impressions of the results.

I have four Pertronix units installed, two in window distributors and two in older Delco types. All of them run fine and start fine. On one of them, an old girlfriend even commented that the engine ran smoother. They sure look better under a timing light, too.

I really like them.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

I hit a snag today. The (window type) Delco distributor I plan to use is the one I originally pulled off this car; I could tell it needed "going thru", so just swapped it out for a recently refurbished, older type Delco I had on hand. Today, all went well in going thru this one, in prep for the Pertronix, but I noticed the vacuum advance required about twice the vacuum as the one on the older Delco. It appears to be a chinese, one size fits all, for 1950s-1970s GM. There is no way I am gonna run it on this car.

So, long story short, I ordered an adjustable vacuum advance from Summit, made by Accel. Will have to wait till next week end to finish the job.

Comment

My ignition IQ is just above zero so I'm soaking up trying to make sense out of this post as I look 6 or so months down the road to my Speedster back on the road with a likely 12 volt conversion.

I do know first hand that a hot ignition can make a huger difference. 20+ years ago I had my brother in laws Dodge class C motorhome for the summer.... In the Colorado mountains the 360 left the second "d" and "e" our of "DODGE". Out of need or stupidity I replaced the coil with a very hot coil from some speed shop. That motor home immediately would climb Floyd hill west of Denver at 65.... what a difference. I returned it to Bro-inlaw in Seattle and his mechanic said that's not the right coil and replaced it with one that put the "d" and "e" back in the unit.

Comment

Electronic ignitions have transformed small engine troubleshooting. I abuse my yard equipment badly (out door storage) , and harvest mowers, pressure washers, whatever is left at the curb in disgust on trash day. Now it's "aLwAyz" the fuel system's fault.

Comment

If you use the Pertronix coil, you may want to check w/ their tech people to see if a ballast resistor should be used. My Pert coil directions stated NOT to use one, but (after one burned out) tech stated that there were fewer prob's when one was used. May be different for what you are using.
            Paul TK

Comment

I've used the stock coils on three Studebakers and one Buick. They work fine with the Pertronix "points" system.
              RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

Comment

I don't know too much about the points system either and since recently I burnt up a set I was also looking into the unit. On my 64 289 cruiser, I know I don't have the delco window distributor I just have the regular delco. The units I was looking at were only for the window style, do you guys happen to remember the part# for one of those units?

Comment

1187 or 1186 comes to mind, but the written information is in storage and inaccessible.

Pertronix offers an online service. If you tell them the Delco model number, they will tell you which of their kits will work. The model number is on a metal tag on the body of the distributor.

The experts at PerTronix are ready to help you choose the perfect high performance ignition and exhaust products. We're enthusiasts too!

I would think that a 64 Cruiser would have a Prestolite distributor, but it's probably been changed some time over the last 48 years.
                  Last edited by RadioRoy; 12-19-2012, 09:51 PM.

Comment

Roy, are any of your Pertronix installs on 6volt systems? I may like to upgrade to that if it's an option on a Big 6...
                    sigpic

1950 Commander Starlight Coupe
                    Regal Deluxe Trim
                    Automatic transmission
                    46k original miles, 4th Owner

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
                      I would think that a 64 Cruiser would have a Prestolite distributor, but it's probably been changed some time over the last 48 years.
                      Actually I maybe it is the prestolite... I just know its not a delco window, ill have to actually check and report back. Are there also any units for the prestolite unit?
                      Last edited by RadCruiser; 12-20-2012, 10:08 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

There are some Pertronix for six volt, but I think you have to change to negative ground.

I also have heard that there are none for the Prestolite distrubutor, but the website will answer both questions if you follow the link I posted.

Except for the super R series motors, all the Studebaker 53-64 V-8 distributors will interchange and every one I looked up (by reading the shop manuals) had the same advance curves.

Comment

okay, sorry -- i didn't see the link...
                          sigpic

1950 Commander Starlight Coupe
                          Regal Deluxe Trim
                          Automatic transmission
                          46k original miles, 4th Owner

Comment

Originally posted by RadCruiser View Post
                            I don't know too much about the points system either and since recently I burnt up a set I was also looking into the unit. On my 64 289 cruiser, I know I don't have the delco window distributor I just have the regular delco. The units I was looking at were only for the window style, do you guys happen to remember the part# for one of those units?
                            The correct Pertronix part number for the 12 volt windoless Delco Distributor is 1183, take that to the bank guys, I have 2 of them installed and they work fine....Keep on Studebakering

Comment

I finally found time to install the Pertronix today. It seems to start a bit easier on hot starts, but will have to wait for summer to really test that aspect. It already started easily when cold with the OEM setup, and seems to start about the same now.

I also installed the Accel, adjustable vacuum advance. I played with it before installation till I could understand how it works, and really like it. I set it up fairly close to the VA on the older Delco distributor, but allowed it to advance a few extra degrees. If it ever pings under light throttle, i.e. when hot weather gets here, it will only take about 30 seconds to reduce the degrees of advance.

Comment

Working...
                              X