NOS Avanti Slot Car body

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NOS Avanti Slot Car body

A neighbor (a professonal auto mechanic, ex-racer, former Shelby Mustang owner and currently the owner of three high performance collector cars) who is into model car building and collects old model car kits, gave me an unexpected gift.
    A 1/24th scale clear Studebaker Avanti slot car body. It was made by Hawk in 1965.
    The vacuformed body is just glued to card stock. You have to cut away the lower body and wheel wells from the base.

The back of the card gives instructions on how to paint it from the inside. Appearently, thatkept the paint from cracking and peeling after the inevitable track mishaps.
    I remember my brother (a very talented model builder in his day) had a painted clear body he took to the local track at the Truman Corners shopping center south of Kansas City.

What's also fun is to see the company the Avanti kept...at least in the eyes of the hawk model company slot car division.
    The other cars they list on the back of the card are: 57 Ford T-Bird, Chevy Corsa, Ford Cobra GT (the Daytona Coupe), Corvette "Fast back", Lotus 23, Ford Falcon Sprint, 41 Willys, 39 mercedes W163 (The "Silver Arrows" GP car), Ford GT, Cobra, Porsche RS-60. Oddly, no Mustang.
    So obviously, the Avanti was thought of as a performance car.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by JBOYLE; 12-15-2012, 09:18 AM.
    63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

If for sale, how much? I collect vintage HO slot cars and have two Avanti's. But I don't have an O scale version. Whatever you do, don't open it!
    edp/NC
    \'63 Avanti
    \'66 Commander

Comment

Originally posted by edpjr View Post
      If for sale, how much? I collect vintage HO slot cars and have two Avanti's. But I don't have an O scale version. Whatever you do, don't open it!

I'm wasn't planning on selling it (unless someone offers really silly money for it )

No, I wasn't planning on opening it. However, my frined who gave it to me, thought it would be neat to make up the chassis, engine, and interior from the old AMT kit to display inside the clear body.
      Neat idea, but I'd hate to 'open' this one.
      63 Avanti R1 2788
      1914 Stutz Bearcat
      (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

There was an article published in Turning Wheels in 1979 on Avanti slot cars.

Craig

Comment

When I was about 12, I had a 1/32 scale Avanti slot car, which I raced mainly at home on a three lane hand-routed wooden track. I don't remember what the source was for it. I remember it was molded in red cycolac, which I painted Avanti turquoise. I don't remember what I used for running gear either. I hadn't advanced yet to the point of building my own frames from brass stock and stainless rod soldered together when I had that body. I just remember thinking the Avanti was a really cool looking car even at that early stage of my life!

Paul
          I finally have a Stude I can drive! (sort of)
          1962 GT Hawk, 4 speed, a/c

Comment

I still have my red cycolac 1/32 Avanti race car. It did come with an aluminum chassis and motor. I bought an extra gold body, although not cycolac. The bodies were available as a model from AMT as well, I think. I'm afraid it is a little used.

I also have a red GT race car (made up from a badly formed Chinese), a HO Avanti (Aurora factory) and a JoHann Lark convertible slot car. (made up)

My son took out all of my slot car stuff recently to play. I used to race on big tracks, but I have lots of old Strombecker track.

Comment

I have one of those in clear on the card yet too. I also have a loose green one that a seller said was made by rainbow. It just noticed that it looks just like the Hawk one so that's probably who really made it.
              I have a few of the 1/32 scale Avanti kits. I thought I won a real 1/32 AMT slot car off of ebay but it turned out it was just a converted kit. It's still kind of neat.

Comment

Apart from the 'Hawk' Model Co. making an AVANTI body in 1:24 , there was
                also one made by 'Dubro' in 1:24 which was made out of clear butyrate and
                came pre-cut-out . In 1:32 there was the AMT Avanti slot car kit which came
                with either a red , black or white ABS plastic body . In HO scale , a company
                called 'Atlas' did the Avanti . Of course all of this activity took place back in
                1965 so survivors are few and far between . In 'static' models AMT did Avanti
                in both 1:32 and 1:24 and the 'Aurora' Company also did a static in 1:25 scale.
                I think there was also a pretty dodgy Avanti kit put out by a company called
                'Palmer' in 1965 . In a related area , I have a 1:32 'Tokyo Plamo' Japan slotcar
                kit of a 1962 Studebaker GT Hawk put out in 1965 . A related company also
                did the same GT Hawk as a motorized plastic model kit , branded 'Sanwa' #12.

CRUISER

Comment

The AMT static 1/32 cars were neat, I had a red Avanti as a kid that my brother built for me. He also had a 63 'vette fastback, 58-60 T-bird and a Mustang.

I found a NOS 1/32 67 Camaro in an antique store a few years back, I'd like to trade it for a 1/32 Avanti...
                  63 Avanti R1 2788
                  1914 Stutz Bearcat
                  (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Originally posted by cruiser View Post
                    ...In a related area , I have a 1:32 'Tokyo Plamo' Japan slotcar
                    kit of a 1962 Studebaker GT Hawk put out in 1965 . A related company also
                    did the same GT Hawk as a motorized plastic model kit , branded 'Sanwa' #12.

CRUISER
                    Any chance we might get to see? 8)
                    Andy
                    62 GT

Comment

Do you want to sell your clear Avanti on the card. If so, how much?

Originally posted by Bordeaux Daytona View Post
                      I have one of those in clear on the card yet too. I also have a loose green one that a seller said was made by rainbow. It just noticed that it looks just like the Hawk one so that's probably who really made it.
                      I have a few of the 1/32 scale Avanti kits. I thought I won a real 1/32 AMT slot car off of ebay but it turned out it was just a converted kit. It's still kind of neat.
                      edp/NC
                      \'63 Avanti
                      \'66 Commander

Comment

Originally posted by edpjr View Post
                        Do you want to sell your clear Avanti on the card. If so, how much?
                        Sorry, not at this moment. It's the only one I have on the card right now.

Comment

I have two of those clear Avanti bodies. One is still attached, the other is cut off the card. Send me a private message about buying them.

Comment

Working...
                          X