Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1955 Studebaker Commander / DM 250 Trans Fluid Type?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1955 Studebaker Commander / DM 250 Trans Fluid Type?

I need to know what transmission fluid to put back in the transmission...I do not want the wrong type fluid for sure...Thanks

Comment

I had a local garage rebuild my transmission , it's a Detroit gear 250 transmission, they use a Gm trans fluid , Like Dextron 2. Do your homework first ,check around.

Comment

you can use either Dextron or Ford type F, the Ford type F doesn't have a slip agent and the Dextron does. For my own dg250 I used Dextron. On a fresh rebuild I would use the Dextron.

Comment

Be sure to change ALL of the fluid. The torque convertor has a separate drain. ALL of the fluid in the unit should be the same.
          Put five quarts in.
          Idle engne for about one minute in L.
          With engine still running and in Low, add another three quarts.
          Then add enough to bring it up to the Full mark. Do not overfill.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Dexron III-Mercon was in my 55 when purchased in 2002 and when sold 18,000 miles later. Works well
            64 GT Hawk (K7)
            1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

B Murrey,----That's a sharp looking Commander.....I like the color combo....Good luck with it!

Comment

64V-K7:
                Dextron III-Mercon is still used in the 55. 28,000 miles later it still works well. 96805 miles on her now.
                Just did an 80 mile round trip this evening,,, smoooooth,,, like butter.
                B Murrey:
                To drain the torque converter, remove the converter housing cover, at the front of the trans, rotate the converter till you see the drain plug.
                You should also remove the oil pan and clean the screen assembly. The screen assembly is "Not Available" as far as I know so clean and reuse it.
                Don't believe the local parts houses if they tell you they can get the oil pan gasket. They will give you one for the 56 and later trans. It doesn't fit.
                Go to a Stude Vendor for that part.
                South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

This trans has not been rebuilt so I am guessing the Ford Type F is what I should use.....Dextron with old clutches does non work well....This car shows 64,000 miles...Thanks guys

Comment

Working...
                  X