I need help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need help!

I have a 1962 wagon with a full flow engine (Ov6) auto trans.
    i parked it in my garage for about two weeks
    we had a local car show & I went to take it out for the show
    and found I had a bad rod knock in it, plenty of oil in the pan
    up till this time it has run real smooth
    any Ideas to the cause of this
    thanks
    John

Impossible to tell, (most likey just normal wear and now you have excessive rod bearing clearance) until you find out exactly what is knockingEven then you may never know what caused it. Thats the way these things happen, one trip their fine, next time you start it you have a leak or knock.
    Good luck
    quote:Originally posted by lvanw

thanks
    John
    Russ Shop Foreman "Rusty Nut Garage"
    57 SH (project)
    60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
    53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
    57 SH (project)

Comment

Impossible to tell, (most likey just normal wear and now you have excessive rod bearing clearance) until you find out exactly what is knockingEven then you may never know what caused it. Thats the way these things happen, one trip their fine, next time you start it you have a leak or knock.
      Good luck
      quote:Originally posted by lvanw

thanks
      John
      Russ Shop Foreman "Rusty Nut Garage"
      57 SH (project)

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
      53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
      57 SH (project)

Comment

Low or non-existent oil pressure, when you turn on the key without starting, does the oil press. warning light work?

The other reason is WEAR or corrosion, the bearings have been in there too many miles or too many years!

StudeRich
        Studebakers Northwest
        Ferndale, WA
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Low or non-existent oil pressure, when you turn on the key without starting, does the oil press. warning light work?

The other reason is WEAR or corrosion, the bearings have been in there too many miles or too many years!

StudeRich
          Studebakers Northwest
          Ferndale, WA
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

check your oil pressure, if it is good it could be a carbon build up.

Erin Hays
            "From Stuck and Rusty to Slick steel and sex appeal"
            RZRECTD
            1961 Hawk
            1962 Lark
            1963 Wagonaire

Comment

check your oil pressure, if it is good it could be a carbon build up.

Erin Hays
              "From Stuck and Rusty to Slick steel and sex appeal"
              RZRECTD
              1961 Hawk
              1962 Lark
              1963 Wagonaire

Comment

Hey John, are you sure it's a rod knock? I thought my car had a bottom-end knock when I got it, and it turned out to be a cracked flex plate. Does it go away as revs increase? Have you tried pinpointing it with a stethoscope?

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                '63 F2/Lark Standard

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Hey John, are you sure it's a rod knock? I thought my car had a bottom-end knock when I got it, and it turned out to be a cracked flex plate. Does it go away as revs increase? Have you tried pinpointing it with a stethoscope?

Clark in San Diego
                  '63 F2/Lark Standard

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

I thought about the flex pate and got a new one from stude int.
                    wheh you turn the key on to start it, the motor rocks and the rod noise
                    if thats what it is.
                    after it starts the noise does quiten down ssome
                    John

Comment

I thought about the flex pate and got a new one from stude int.
                      wheh you turn the key on to start it, the motor rocks and the rod noise
                      if thats what it is.
                      after it starts the noise does quiten down ssome
                      John

Comment

Start her up and keep the trans in park, then slowly increase revs.

- If it's rod noise, the sound will get louder and the vibration harsher as engine speed increases.
                        - If it's a flex plate, the sound will get quieter and vibration smooth out as the engine revs higher.

Clark in San Diego
                        '63 F2/Lark Standard

Comment

Start her up and keep the trans in park, then slowly increase revs.

- If it's rod noise, the sound will get louder and the vibration harsher as engine speed increases.
                          - If it's a flex plate, the sound will get quieter and vibration smooth out as the engine revs higher.

Clark in San Diego
                          '63 F2/Lark Standard

Comment

The wagon is my old car. It did that once before, don't panic. It made a horrible hollow clunking noise. (the right tranny mount failed and was letting the exhaust pipe contact the crossmemeber). I would suspect its the right transmission mount, Both mounts were replaced in January with new parts supplied by studebakers west. You'll find the receipt in that manilla envelope. The shop that put them in said that the right one was hard to install. I would suspect that that is the issue. How is the car doing for you? I miss it a lot.

Comment

The wagon is my old car. It did that once before, don't panic. It made a horrible hollow clunking noise. (the right tranny mount failed and was letting the exhaust pipe contact the crossmemeber). I would suspect its the right transmission mount, Both mounts were replaced in January with new parts supplied by studebakers west. You'll find the receipt in that manilla envelope. The shop that put them in said that the right one was hard to install. I would suspect that that is the issue. How is the car doing for you? I miss it a lot.

Comment

Working...
                              X