40 Stude Street Rod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 40 Stude Street Rod

Nicely done. Even if you are a purist you will appreciate this one.

I am a bit of a purist and I don't find this car a bit appealing. A 1939-40 Commander front clip grafted to a 1941-46 Champion body. In their original form any one of them looked far superior to this conglomeration.
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Wowza! That is one fine coupe!
      ~Matt Connor
      '59 Lark 2-door

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
        I am a bit of a purist and I don't find this car a bit appealing. A 1939-40 Commander front clip grafted to a 1941-46 Champion body. In their original form any one of them looked far superior to this conglomeration.
        I am not surprised you would say that Richard. You are not a bit of a purist. Step back and look at it as a modern day creation and not an original car. The only problem with it is that it has a brand ex engine. It needs an R3 setup.

Comment

I think it would look a lot better if the lower body were channeled. It looks far too fat for my taste.
          sigpic
          Jack, in Montana

Comment

Originally posted by jnfweber View Post
            I think it would look a lot better if the lower body were channeled. It looks far too fat for my taste.
            Oh, but it HAS been channeled (you can tell by looking at the vertical painted expanse of metal running up from the original door sill up to the carpet).

Did you mean sectioned? Or chopped? In either case I'd have to respectfully disagree. I think the builder pretty much nailed it.
            ~Matt Connor
            '59 Lark 2-door

Comment

I do not object to all modifieds. Not many people know that I once had a 1941 Champion 4 dr into which I installed a 426 c.i. wedge head Chrysler. This was about 1965. I simply do not believe that the car you referenced is tastefully done. I am attaching two photos of a '40 Champion that, I believe, is tastefully done. Note that the character of the car is maintained by the preservation of the mouldings and other bright work. Also it has a nice "stance" unlike the radically lowered version in the referenced car.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	40 champ street rodder2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	1676303 Click image for larger version

Name:	40 champ street rodder3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	1676304
              Richard Quinn

Comment

I like them both, the workmanship on the Ebay car is pretty spectacular. I do like the lowered stance, I'm sure it is air suspension and can be adjusted. To each their own.

Pat
                Pat Dilling
                Olivehurst, CA
                Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

That 41 must have been a real shocker to cars trying to pass you. I imagine a 426 in that car had some get up and go.
                  sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

I could live with the blue car except for the "Donk" wheels. Makes it look like a matchbox racer. The red 40 champion is nice. I like the restorod look. Leave the car alone and make it run and handle like a new car with all the bells and whistles. We used to call them sleepers. I wouldn't cut up an original car if it were restorable, but if given a basket of crap and you can make it look nice and run well, I applaud you.
                    sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
                    1950 Champion Convertible
                    1950 Champion 4Dr
                    1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
                    1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Originally posted by plwindish View Post
                      That 41 must have been a real shocker to cars trying to pass you. I imagine a 426 in that car had some get up and go.
                      Here is my 426 Mopar powered '41 in 1965. I cut the firewall and moved the engine back 10%. It had a torqueflight, a Ford straight axle and Olds rear. It would really go but I was still in college and had no money to finish it. Sold it not long after this photo was taken. The car was an original from Arizona with a bad engine (blown timing gear). I bought it in Normal, Illinois for $40.

Click image for larger version

Name:	41 4dr rod forum.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	1676305
                      Richard Quinn

Comment

Don't like the choice on the headlights, or the skinny sneakers. Other than that...well executed.
                        Brad Johnson,
                        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I agree with Richard, I do not like the stance, the lack of brightwork, and especially the wheels and tires. However I do like the interior. It is obvious a great deal of money and work are in this, most of it wasted in my opinion.

Comment

Exept for the super-silly-ugly wheels I find it okidoki, maby a little bit to low but... but... that RED one! ...or even more Richard's 413-powered 4-door!!!

I remember in the 70's when (around Stockholm at least) everybody thought (me too as I didn't know better) that 413 were crap engines 'cause there was all those Hemi's around...
                            Well, I learned later on.
                            Maaan how you could rev those 413's if you did a very few things to them...

Comment

I like the blue one ok too except the wheels and tires and its too low. I'd probably keep the trim on the outside though. But you never know it may have been missing when he got the car.
                              Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Working...
                              X