PDA

View Full Version : Studebaker 1950 cyclop light interesting after market accessory

Studebaker Wheel
12-13-2012, 04:11 PM

Scrounging around in the garage attic yesterday and found this in route to looking other stuff up. Probably very few of these have survived in NOS condition. Mine almost didnít! Had a big garage fire 12 years ago this week and the box was slightly discolored but the contents were undamaged. Anyone else have one? Incidentally this was never an authorized Studebaker accessory, aftermarket only. South Bend police cars used these with a blue bulb.

thunderations
12-13-2012, 04:32 PM
I remember those on cars in South Bend and Mishawaka when I was a kid. Sometimes, at night, you got tricked and it was a Tucker with the steering center light. Wish I had one of them old Tuckers...maybe two or three.

Corvanti
12-13-2012, 04:35 PM
i don't have one Mr. Quinn, but have thought of doing something like that to my '51 - sometime way down the line. it would be really cool if it turned with the steering wheel a la the Tucker. :)

thunderations
12-13-2012, 04:47 PM
i don't have one Mr. Quinn, but have thought of doing something like that to my '51 - sometime way down the line. it would be really cool if it turned with the steering wheel a la the Tucker. :)

I keep thinking about using steering cables from and outboard motor boat and a driving light from a motorcycle. Would need a weak link to not freeze the car from steering if something bound up.

qsanford
12-13-2012, 04:53 PM
My father bought a brand new 1950 Ford tudor sedan. They didn't have a Studebaker dealer in Westport, Mass. He installed an accessory fog light in the Ford's center bullet.

deco_droid
12-13-2012, 05:05 PM
That is interesting indeed!

58PackardWagon
12-15-2012, 08:58 AM
I have one. I pulled it off of a car in the early 80's. I just have the unit and wiring. It has a clear light in it. I pulled it off of a 50. I often wondered if it would melt the center piece on a 51.

SN-60
12-15-2012, 09:04 AM
To: Studebaker Wheel,....Now that's really interesting.....What diameter bulb does it use?

studeclunker
12-16-2012, 09:12 PM
The chrome looks gorgeous on it!

Studebaker Wheel
12-18-2012, 02:54 AM
To: Studebaker Wheel,....Now that's really interesting.....What diameter bulb does it use?

The bulb is 5" and the entire unit 71/4" in diameter.

jimmijim8
12-18-2012, 05:39 AM
I remember years ago at the Reedsville swap meet a fella carrying one of those around. I think it was Chuck Naugle cheers jimmijim

BobPalma
12-18-2012, 07:24 AM
An interesting piece indeed; 'first time I'd seen one in the flesh, Dick.

Neither this one nor the one on the production Tucker actually turned with the front wheels, did it/they? (True, Preston Tucker wanted the center lamp to turn, but IIRC, that didn't make it to "production," did it?)

Gramatically, note the wording/lettering on the box versus the advertising sheet.

On the Advertising Sheet, it says, SAF-T-LAMP. That makes sense, playing off the phonetics of the word SAFETY.

But on the Box, it says, SAF-T-Y LAMP. That makes no sense with the extra "Y" in it. :ohmy: BP

Son O Lark
12-18-2012, 08:06 AM
That was one specialized company--The Center Saf-T Lamp Company of Minneapolis, Minnesota.

Studebaker Wheel
12-18-2012, 11:11 AM

Bob; The light in the nose of the Tucker did turn with the steering wheel. The same company that made the stationery one (for Studebaker and Ford) also made one that would turn with the wheel (see ad above). I had a chance to buy one (NOS) at the Indy swap meet many years ago and passed (wish I hadn't!). As a side note the principle of a center mounted light that turned with the wheels was not new. Studebaker offered it as early as 1930 (part AC-51 @$35 uninstalled). It was called a Pilot Ray and was a popular accessory for larger cars of that era.

I had not noticed the variance in the spelling. Interesting.

BobPalma
12-18-2012, 07:26 PM

Bob; The light in the nose of the Tucker did turn with the steering wheel. The same company that made the stationery one (for Studebaker and Ford) also made one that would turn with the wheel (see ad above). I had a chance to buy one (NOS) at the Indy swap meet many years ago and passed (wish I hadn't!). As a side note the principle of a center mounted light that turned with the wheels was not new. Studebaker offered it as early as 1930 (part AC-51 @$35 uninstalled). It was called a Pilot Ray and was a popular accessory for larger cars of that era.

I had not noticed the variance in the spelling. Interesting.

Cool, Dick; thanks for the confirmation.

And, yes, it seems like you see so many high-dollar classics at auctions with Pilot-Ray lights. Also very cool. Do you have any idea when they were last offered? (I don't; just asking.) :o BP

deco_droid
12-20-2012, 10:25 AM
Wow, now that is cool too! From a distance it would probably still look like a stock bullet!

8E45E
12-20-2012, 01:33 PM

I posted a photo of Don Armacost's President equipped with one here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?28963-More-Eye-Candy-12-16-Prewar&highlight=seasons

Craig

BobPalma
12-20-2012, 08:10 PM
That was one specialized company--The Center Saf-T Lamp Company of Minneapolis, Minnesota.

Geeze, Barry, I just took another look at the OP and see that they have three different spellings, rather than the two I cited earlier! Talk about "finding themselves."

On the sheet of paper, it is identified as both

Safe-T Lamp and Saf-T Lamp. Then the box says SAF-T-Y Lamp!

:ohmy: BP

Studebaker Wheel
12-20-2012, 10:39 PM
The Pilot Ray was offered by Studebaker thru the 1936 model year.

Rooneytoons
12-21-2012, 01:14 PM
That's ace I think I need one :!!:

deco_droid
12-21-2012, 05:34 PM
That's ace I think I need one :!!:

I thought you'd pop in for this one! Haha

Rooneytoons
12-22-2012, 12:56 PM
I thought you'd pop in for this one! Haha

Be rude not to ha ha it is ace though

sals54
11-25-2013, 06:14 PM
An interesting piece indeed; 'first time I'd seen one in the flesh, Dick.

Neither this one nor the one on the production Tucker actually turned with the front wheels, did it/they? (True, Preston Tucker wanted the center lamp to turn, but IIRC, that didn't make it to "production," did it?)

Gramatically, note the wording/lettering on the box versus the advertising sheet.

On the Advertising Sheet, it says, SAF-T-LAMP. That makes sense, playing off the phonetics of the word SAFETY.

But on the Box, it says, SAF-T-Y LAMP. That makes no sense with the extra "Y" in it. :ohmy: BP

They also spelled it SAFE T LAMP on the brochure. So they were adamant about catching all possible iterations of that spelling.

So it looks like they were way ahead of their timeÖ. They were cashing in on all potential key words for future internet searches on their products. Pretty smart cookies, if you ask me.

kurtruk
11-25-2013, 07:22 PM
I have one. I pulled it off of a car in the early 80's. I just have the unit and wiring. It has a clear light in it. I pulled it off of a 50. I often wondered if it would melt the center piece on a 51.

Well, I think you would need to remove the center piece to install this...

There was one, or one similar to this for sale on eBay within the last year or so. Sure thought it turned with the wheel. It did not sell. They wanted a lot of money.

Studebaker Wheel
11-16-2015, 12:57 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1949-1950-Ford-center-grille-amber-accessory-light-original-NOS-in-original-box-/272039644365

I listed this Ford light for a friend and it had to be relisted twice before it sold for only $26.00. Apparently the Ford guys don't like them?

5brown1
11-16-2015, 04:52 PM
The51 business coupe I just purchased has a light in place of the bullet and the builder made it turn with the front wheels. I was thinking of replacing it but is it growing on me.

deco_droid
11-16-2015, 09:00 PM
This is the thread I searched for, but couldn't find, for some reason. Anyway, if anyone has one collecting dust, I'm your man. Would love to install one. Thanks again...