• Studebaker 1950 cyclop light interesting after market accessory

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7150.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	1736963
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

I remember those on cars in South Bend and Mishawaka when I was a kid. Sometimes, at night, you got tricked and it was a Tucker with the steering center light. Wish I had one of them old Tuckers...maybe two or three.
    sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
    1950 Champion Convertible
    1950 Champion 4Dr
    1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
    1957 Thunderbird

Comment

i don't have one Mr. Quinn, but have thought of doing something like that to my '51 - sometime way down the line. it would be really cool if it turned with the steering wheel a la the Tucker.
      Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Originally posted by Corvanti View Post
        i don't have one Mr. Quinn, but have thought of doing something like that to my '51 - sometime way down the line. it would be really cool if it turned with the steering wheel a la the Tucker.
        I keep thinking about using steering cables from and outboard motor boat and a driving light from a motorcycle. Would need a weak link to not freeze the car from steering if something bound up.
        sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
        1950 Champion Convertible
        1950 Champion 4Dr
        1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
        1957 Thunderbird

Comment

My father bought a brand new 1950 Ford tudor sedan. They didn't have a Studebaker dealer in Westport, Mass. He installed an accessory fog light in the Ford's center bullet.
          Last edited by qsanford; 12-13-2012, 02:54 PM. Reason: extra word

Comment

That is interesting indeed!
            sigpic

1950 Commander Starlight Coupe
            Regal Deluxe Trim
            Automatic transmission
            46k original miles, 4th Owner

Comment

I have one. I pulled it off of a car in the early 80's. I just have the unit and wiring. It has a clear light in it. I pulled it off of a 50. I often wondered if it would melt the center piece on a 51.

Comment

To: Studebaker Wheel,....Now that's really interesting.....What diameter bulb does it use?

Comment

The chrome looks gorgeous on it!
                  Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                  K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                  Ron Smith
                  Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                    To: Studebaker Wheel,....Now that's really interesting.....What diameter bulb does it use?
                    The bulb is 5" and the entire unit 71/4" in diameter.
                    Richard Quinn

Comment

I remember years ago at the Reedsville swap meet a fella carrying one of those around. I think it was Chuck Naugle cheers jimmijim
                      sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

An interesting piece indeed; 'first time I'd seen one in the flesh, Dick.

Neither this one nor the one on the production Tucker actually turned with the front wheels, did it/they? (True, Preston Tucker wanted the center lamp to turn, but IIRC, that didn't make it to "production," did it?)

Gramatically, note the wording/lettering on the box versus the advertising sheet.

On the Advertising Sheet, it says, SAF-T-LAMP. That makes sense, playing off the phonetics of the word SAFETY.

But on the Box, it says, SAF-T-Y LAMP. That makes no sense with the extra "Y" in it. BP

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

That was one specialized company--The Center Saf-T Lamp Company of Minneapolis, Minnesota.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	50 cyclop light ad.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	1676351

Bob; The light in the nose of the Tucker did turn with the steering wheel. The same company that made the stationery one (for Studebaker and Ford) also made one that would turn with the wheel (see ad above). I had a chance to buy one (NOS) at the Indy swap meet many years ago and passed (wish I hadn't!). As a side note the principle of a center mounted light that turned with the wheels was not new. Studebaker offered it as early as 1930 (part AC-51 @$35 uninstalled). It was called a Pilot Ray and was a popular accessory for larger cars of that era.

I had not noticed the variance in the spelling. Interesting.
                            Richard Quinn

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
                              [ATTACH=CONFIG]19571[/ATTACH]

Bob; The light in the nose of the Tucker did turn with the steering wheel. The same company that made the stationery one (for Studebaker and Ford) also made one that would turn with the wheel (see ad above). I had a chance to buy one (NOS) at the Indy swap meet many years ago and passed (wish I hadn't!). As a side note the principle of a center mounted light that turned with the wheels was not new. Studebaker offered it as early as 1930 (part AC-51 @$35 uninstalled). It was called a Pilot Ray and was a popular accessory for larger cars of that era.

I had not noticed the variance in the spelling. Interesting.
                              Cool, Dick; thanks for the confirmation.

And, yes, it seems like you see so many high-dollar classics at auctions with Pilot-Ray lights. Also very cool. Do you have any idea when they were last offered? (I don't; just asking.) BP
                              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Working...
                              X