Trashy Engine Bay. Am I The Only One?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trashy Engine Bay. Am I The Only One?

I notice most owners take great pride in maintaining their Stude's engine bay, to a point of looking like new or even better. I may be the world's worst at maintaining this area others pay so much attention to. It is usually cleaned up and repainted upon rebuild or other major work, then hosed down with Gunk about every five years or 50,000 miles thereafter. Meanwhile, I think nothing of adding a new wire (any color will do) here & there as needed; a rubber "sleeve" on a gas/coolant hose, held in place with tie-ties; notching a radiator shroud for easier install/removal; using a rubber bungie cord to hold the battery down, or hanging a relay wherever it seems convenient, etc.

I hate to raise the hood at a Stude function, because it pales in comparison to others'. From time to time I promise myself I am gonna refurbish them all. But have never gotten round to actually doing so in the 27+ years of driving them. Come to think of it, I don't recall worrying about the engine bay of the 56J I owned in high school during the late 1960s either.

Guess I was just wondering if I am the only one with a trashy engine bay. Anyone else?

I have found that a clean and neat engine and undercarriage makes it a lot easier to find and repair problems. I'll probably never win a trophy for it though. The rest of the car... well, I like driving them.
    Rob

Comment

To: mapman,----"Clean and neat"...that's how I keep My 'everyday driver' '83 Avanti's engine bay...and that's 'good enough'!

Comment

JoeHall,
        Ditto, brother. Mine is a machine which serves me... not vice versa.
        sals54

Comment

Joe, you drive your Studebakers more than anyone I know. Don't judge your driver cars against show cars which get out one Sunday a month for only a few miles.

jack vines
          PackardV8

Comment

I personally like old cars to look...."old". Just the way I used to see them when I was a kid. I don't ever remember seeing a Studebaker in my parts(Mass) that didn't have the fender rust or was in any way shape or form what I see today. I personally like "driver quality" cars. I won't ever be in a Stude that won't see rain and/or snow on a daily basis if the weather permits. Not at all knocking checkbook restos or trailer queens...they have their place. The bone dry SW car I'm working on now will get a Maaco special and will see many a good mile til it rusts away and I find another.....Something great about Larks (plenty of low rust surviving models). Its all in the fun.....

Comment

I've never really detailed under hood of my '51. I did clean it when we had the engine out for rebuild some fifteen years ago and try to keep it as stock as possible. I drive it a decent bit and still enjoy it on a show field; just never expect a trophy. Just fun. However, if safety is a primary issue, in the event of an unexpected, sudden and concussive stop, a bungee cord may be the equivalent of no battery hold down at all.
              Brad Johnson,
              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I've never tried to keep any of my engine compartments show quality, but I like to be able to do basic mainenaince without getting oily grit all over my hands. If I ever have an engine with chrome on it I will spend a bit more time cleaning it.
                "In the heart of Arkansas."
                Searcy, Arkansas
                1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                1952 2R pickup

Comment

Mine trashy enough to suit you?

Comment

Working...
                  X