Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My 1963 8E 5 Champ needs a king pin overhaul. Help please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: My 1963 8E 5 Champ needs a king pin overhaul. Help please.

Dick
    Mountain Home, AR
    http://www.livingintheozarks.com/studebaker2.htm

Dick, I sent you a pm.
    Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Will the bushings need to be sized (reamed or honed) to fit or will they fit right out of the box?

Dick
      Mountain Home, AR

Comment

My experience has been that the bushings will need to be reamed after they are installed. The bushings slide in out of the box but mine had to be reamed once installed. I was using NOS pins so maybe the repops fit without reaming.
        Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
        1961 Hawk 4-speed
        1967 Avanti
        1961 Lark 2 door
        1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

ream them carefully after installing, making sure the grease holes are lined up....
          The king pins should slide in by hand after reaming..... NEVER use a hammer....
          I had a shop do that and ruined a set.

Comment

...and if your "I"-beam front member is shot...I believe they are available NOS from SI....or they can find them in SB.....last I heard they had a few hundred of them...

Comment

We could start a whole thread here on "Truck alignments" including Caster Shims.....

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs K Corbin View Post
                We could start a whole thread here on "Truck alignments" including Caster Shims.....
                Or bending the axle to adjust camber! (yeah, I had a big truck guy align mine once).

Back to bushings, they often deform when being pressed in and should be reamed to fit.
                Ron Dame
                '63 Champ

Comment

Yes, truck type kingpin bushings are intended to be reamed after installation. Not only to size the inner diameters, but also to correctly align them. Special piloted king pin reamers are made to insure the alignment of the two bushings.

Comment

You can also ream them by hand, with a little time and patience. At least you can on a Stude car. I have never owned a reamer, but each time I rebuild a front end, swear I'm gonna get one.

Comment

Why not use a hone? It would take longer but the fit to each pin could be near perfect, i.e. w/in .001 of an inch.

Dick
                      Mountain Home, AR

Comment

Working...
                      X