Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1962 Pace Cars: Let's Get Serious...

...about finding them!

One curiosity I find hard to believe is that, AFAIK, only one of the 1962 Lark Daytona convertibles involved in the 1962 Indianapolis 500 Mile Race Pace Car program is accounted for within SDC: 62V29659.

(UPDATE: We now have two confirmations! See Posts 7, 10, 13, and 14 to this topic. Woo-hoo!)

62V29659 is owned by an SDCer in Michigan, whose name I do not know. He bought it from Richard Poe several years ago. Richard had stalked the car, for want of a better term, many years in southern Indiana, when he and Rose were vacationing there. He finally bought the car at least ten years ago and stopped by to show it to me on his way back northwest to Janesville WI with it on his trailer. (This was before Richard and Rose moved to Nashville IN upon Richard's retiring from the Janesville WI GM Assembly Plant.)

62V29659 was complete and not at all terribly rusty, but had its share of needs as to a full restoration. (It had been assigned to then-Indianapolis Mayor Richard Barton during the April / May 1962 Indianapolis 500 festivities.) Richard has kept track of the car and reports restoration is yet to commence.

Here is the list of all 1962 Indianapolis 500 Pace & Festival Cars by interior color and Serial Number, the result of extensive Production Order research by Cousin George Krem, Larry Swanson, and myself over a couple days in South Bend in 1992:

Does anyone have or know of one of these cars that we are yet to account for? It would seem like with so many of us "out there" and 1962 Daytona convertibles being easily identifiable and of collector interest even among non-Studebaker people, I would think we should be able to locate and document more of these cars than just one!

Anyone?

(As an aside, I still have ten of these two-fold Pace Car Mailers I had reprinted awhile back, available for sale as noted in the earlier link below the photo.)

I'm hoping this post will alert many new sleuths out there and we can locate more of these special cars. It seems like such a shame that only one of them is known within The Studebaker Drivers Club, as important as was the 1962 Indianapolis 500 Pace Car program for Studebaker marketing that year. BP
    Last edited by BobPalma; 12-12-2012, 07:15 PM. Reason: added update of second confirmed sighting.
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

It really is too bad that although Convertibles are THE most desired and valuable Model of Lark and Lark Type, they are also the most often destroyed by rust and use of all Models. Which makes them the least likely to survive body style.

That is a LOT of Festival Cars 34 actually, there HAVE to be a few languishing behind Barns rusting away SOMEWHERE.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
      That is a LOT of Festival Cars 34 actually, there HAVE to be a few languishing behind Barns rusting away SOMEWHERE.
      That would be my opinion, Rich, as you see.
      I hope we can encourage people to at least check the numbers on cars they have or know about, regardless of condition. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

And as Bob stated in a previous thread on these cars, it would have been kind of difficult for the Indinapolis area to absorb all 34 of these convertibles and many no doubt went back to South Bend for redistribution. So these cars could be anywhere in the country!!

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
          And as Bob stated in a previous thread on these cars, it would have been kind of difficult for the Indinapolis area to absorb all 34 of these convertibles and many no doubt went back to South Bend for redistribution. So these cars could be anywhere in the country!! Craig
          Absolutely, Craig, and that is a good reason for people to check these cars anywhere, not thinking, "Well, I live 1,460 miles from Indianapolis, so there probably aren't any around here." WRONG. BP

Comment

Bob you need to put this challenge in Turning Wheels so you will have more eyes looking out for these cars.
            Gary Sanders
            Nixa, MO

Comment

pace car 62v30006 is owned by chuck donkle of los animas co. it's awaiting resteration
              mervyn mundorf
              63 avanti r2 4speed
              83 avanti 20th ann
              64 gt hawk r1 4speed
              and others

Comment

Thank you for the listing of Pace and Festival cars, I don't recall seeing this before.

Is it safe to assume the "Festival" cars were all Daytona's?

The 62 Lark "Regal" convertible that I currently take care of is serial number 62V-28906 so it was built in close proximity to the "Festival" cars.
                Dan Peterson
                Montpelier, VT
                1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
                1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

Originally posted by dpson View Post
                  /Cut/Is it safe to assume the "Festival" cars were all Daytona's?/Cut/
                  Yes, the scan of George Krem's article says: "1962 Indianapolis 500 Daytona Convertibles (62V-L8)"

There were no 62V-L6's in the special group, probably because they would not "resemble" the actual Pace Cars.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by merv View Post
                    pace car 62v30006 is owned by chuck donkle of los animas co. it's awaiting resteration
                    Excellent, Merv; thanks so much! (See, we now have twice as many confirmed Pace/Festival cars as we had only 12 hours ago!) BP

Last edited by BobPalma; 12-12-2012, 06:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dpson View Post
                      Thank you for the listing of Pace and Festival cars, I don't recall seeing this before.

Is it safe to assume the "Festival" cars were all Daytona's?

The 62 Lark "Regal" convertible that I currently take care of is serial number 62V-28906 so it was built in close proximity to the "Festival" cars.
                      Excellent, Dan; you are fortunate to have a convertible built within the time frame when all the Festival cars were also going down the line, even if it is a Regal. Very Cool!

Yes, as our slow, "production-order-by-production-order" research confirmed, all the Festival cars were Daytonas and were identical in every way except interior color. BP

Comment

I'd like to hear the back story on all the newly rediscovered pace cars. Did people put them away because they were special or find out later what they had. Did anybody knowingly scrap one?

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                          Excellent, Merv; thanks so much! (See, we now have twice as many confirmed Pace/Festival cars as we had only 12 hours ago!) BP

I spoke to Chuck and asked about his pace car at this year's meet in South Bend as he had a 1962 Lark Taxi there, but he said it may be a few years before the pace car is finished. I look forward to seeing it completed.
                          sigpic
                          In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

'Just got an off-forum e-mail from the Chuck Donkle referenced in Posts 7, 10, and 13. Chuck is not a forum member but was alerted to our search by a forum member.

Here's the Serial Number plate on Chuck's car. It's the very last Festival Car built. Cool Beans!

How ironic that we have now accounted for two of the Festival Cars, and they happen to be the last two. (Well, technically, I guess they are the "newest" of all the cars, so they've been subjected to one or two weeks' less wear & tear than the others, right?) BP
                            Last edited by BobPalma; 12-12-2012, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                              (Well, technically, I guess they are the "newest" of all the cars, so they've been subjected to one or two weeks' less wear & tear than the others, right?) [/I] BP
                              As in a few less dents and scratches in the top bows? There would have been a few less a$$'s sitting on the top boot waving at the people!!

Craig

Comment

Working...
                              X