PDA

View Full Version : Intrigue from 1896

64V-K7
12-12-2012, 03:38 AM
So I've been reading some early Industry periodicals and some of the content is fascinating. Innovation was rampant in those days, almost epidemic. Between Fred Fox and Richard Quinn, we are all getting a good education regarding the timeline of Studebaker in those days.
While reading this issue of The Horseless Age, from November 1896, the one thing that caught my eye and isn't seen much in (real) early publications was this prod into Studebaker's moves during the day.

http://www.studebaker-info.org/Archive/Cars/1896/tha01111896a.jpg

avantilover
12-12-2012, 05:37 AM
Typical Studebaker Bob, taking the time to get the right product before marketing it. I imagine they didn't want to risk their reputation for building the finest Carriages by selling an inferior car.

BobPalma
12-12-2012, 07:34 AM
That's a good, item, Bob, with more insight than would appear on the surface. Truth be known, the Studebaker Brothers were both old enough and wealthy enough that they personally had collectively little interest in those new-fangled "motor wagons."

It was indeed the [ultimately] son-in-law Fred Fish, author of your cited piece, whose vision was the driving force behind their entering the automobile field. Given the Studebaker name and existing dealer network, they could have easily become the General Motors of the industry as the motor age dawned, but it was not to be. BP

FlatheadGeo
12-12-2012, 08:03 AM
Interesting piece of history!!! Thanks for sharing.

8E45E
12-12-2012, 08:03 AM
It was indeed the [ultimately] son-in-law Fred Fish, author of your cited piece, whose vision was the driving force behind their entering the automobile field. Given the Studebaker name and existing dealer network, they could have easily become the General Motors of the industry as the motor age dawned, but it was not to be. BP

It would be interesting to know WHEN Studebaker made their very first self-propelled vehicle. We all know actual production started in 1902, but like Henry, there must have been some test mules made a year or two before. Of course, everyone knows Hernry's first car was made in 1896, a full seven years before he incorporated and started manufacturing them.

Craig.