Which Air cleaner? Edelbrock 1403 on 259 in C/K

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Which Air cleaner? Edelbrock 1403 on 259 in C/K

I've been searching but cannot find information on an air cleaner which will have enough clearance on a 55 hardtop.
    The 259 has a 1403 Edelbrock carb with a 1/2" spacer on the intake manifold.
    How much space is there between the carbs top flange and the hood?
    What after market model(s) air cleaner will work? Not interested in the triangle shaped ones.
    Thanks

Originally posted by 5brown1 View Post
    >>>How much space is there between the carbs top flange and the hood?<<<Thanks
    Sorry, don't know that dimension you seek, but IF ...it is 3 inches or more, an oil bath air cleaner (p/n 1540431) from a '56 Golden Hawk should squeeze in.

Good Luck!!!

Last edited by Welcome; 12-10-2012, 08:18 AM.

Comment

If you go to the "Speedway" catalog, they have several filter housings that drop way down over the carburetor. They are the 14" diameter style, but sit lower on the carb. thAn most filters.
      The only thing, is that you need to use a hard line-"banjo" type fuel inlet fitting. From the inlet, it goes straight down near the manifold, then foward. They have a coupla different styles of those to choose from also. These will clear the lowered air cleaner base.
      You may need to put a "dip" in the throttle actuation rod to clear the air cleaner base, depending on which base dimension you choose.

Mike

Comment

Since the air horn diameter on the Edelbrock carb you are using is larger than anything Studebaker used the only way to use a Stude air cleaner would be to use an adapter.
        Frank van Doorn
        Omaha, Ne.
        1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
        1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
        1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

a 1403 Edelbrock carb
          Sorry, don't know that dimension you seek, but IF ...it is 3 inches or more, an oil bath air cleaner (p/n 1540431) from a '56 Golden Hawk should squeeze in.
          IIRC, The '56J air cleaner is 4.625" and will only fit the Carter WCFB/early AFB and the Rochester 4GC.

The Edelbrock carbs have a larger 5.125" airhorn base, same as Holley.

There are plastic adapter rings which will enable one size to fit the other.

jack vines
          PackardV8

Comment

Place a piece of styrofoam, about 6" X 6", and 3" thick, on top of the carb, and gently let the hood down. Press down gently on the hood above the styrofoam. When you open the hood back up, the crunched styrofoam will tell you how much clearance you have to work with. There will likely be no trouble with a 14" diameter, 3" thick round filter. At least, that's true on a Hawk. The 55 may have a little less.

Comment

Now that my fender is back on I was able to measure the distance from the carb flange to the hood. 4.25"
              Still amazed that I might be the first to know that bit of trivia.

Comment

Get an R-1 air cleaner and the larger bottom plate that fits the Edelbrock and it will be lower and SI sells both.
                Candbstudebakers
                Castro Valley,
                California

Comment

Poor excuse for Air Cleaners

I would NOT put one of those Edelbrock, CalCustom, Korea or China Chrome things on any of my cars that have an open face all the way around to suck in all the dirt, water, oil and whatever trash from the fan right into the element.

Aftermarket Air Cleaners like the R1 Avanti style USED to be available from Moroso and others but no more, we just get junk.
                  Last edited by StudeRich; 12-12-2012, 11:15 AM.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Last time I needed a low-profile air cleaner for an Edelbrock-equipped Stude (in my case an Avanti) I went to the U-Pik yard. The old Cadillac and Toronado V8s, even those with EFI, used a large diameter low profile air filter with a flex hose snorkel for fresh air.

Your results may vary.

jack vines
                    PackardV8

Comment

Here is a pic on the Edelbrocks on my 54 commander and 63 GT, if that helps. I wanted to keep the original appearance as much as possible. All parts were from Jegs. Ken, Deltaville, Va
                      Attached Files

Comment

To: ken-renda,---What type of distributor are You using in Your '54?...looks quite small

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                          To: ken-renda,---What type of distributor are You using in Your '54?...looks quite small
                          Now that you mentioned it Ed, it does look small.

Ken-Renda, do you need the triple return springs on the carb? I only use the one on the carb shaft, that comes on the carb if possible. If more is needed to return to idle, I put a very wimpy one the front side, where you have attached one. Otherwise, the pedal is too hard for me. A nice, easy pedal is mush less tiring on long trips.

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                            It's a Mallory dual point distributor, common during this period, it's supposed to be Delco-Remy 110839, but I stayed with the Mallory that came with the car. Another variation is that car has fiberglass fenders, not certain why (there was no sign of it being wrecked). The most recent previous owner had it for almost 40 years and he did not replace fenders. During that period it was a big deal to have a fiberglass hood and fenders if one wanted an edge on speed. Ken

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
                              Now that you mentioned it Ed, it does look small.

Ken-Renda, do you need the triple return springs on the carb? I only use the one on the carb shaft, that comes on the carb if possible. If more is needed to return to idle, I put a very wimpy one the front side, where you have attached one. Otherwise, the pedal is too hard for me. A nice, easy pedal is mush less tiring on long trips.
                              Not sure all three springs are needed, but that's what the parts catalog calls for for Commander W/automatic. Ken

Comment

Working...
                              X