View Full Version : R1--R2 Lark face off

packardHawk58
12-09-2012, 05:13 AM
http://i971.photobucket.com/albums/ae194/packardhawk58/017-1.jpg
http://i971.photobucket.com/albums/ae194/packardhawk58/016-1.jpg

My answer to SN-60 (Ed)

Starlight
12-09-2012, 12:07 PM
Those are two absolutely delicious Daytonas.....Way to go.....Aussies.....Keep on Studebakering

candbstudebakers
12-09-2012, 12:26 PM
Brian, is that the black 63 I just sent over this past year?

StudeRich
12-09-2012, 12:41 PM
Oh darn, I expected a Drag Race! :(

Very nice Cars Brian, a Black one and a White one, Jon Myer would be proud to own those, the ONLY two colors he likes!
Me, not so much. :)

SN-60
12-09-2012, 01:11 PM
To: packardHawk58,----Brian......What can I say....two beautiful 'R' Studebakers!................................Can't wait to see how the 'special black job' turns out. PS..found a few more 'original' parts for that!

58PackardWagon
12-10-2012, 01:44 AM
Anyone know where I can find an nos 63 Lark 160 MPH speedometer? this is the only part that I have not been able to locate for an R2 restoration that I am working on. thanks

candbstudebakers
12-10-2012, 02:16 AM
this is a 64 in the 63 with a 65 dash,

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv271/canbstudebakers/white%2063%20super%20lark/IM001060.jpg

packardHawk58
12-10-2012, 03:28 AM
http://i971.photobucket.com/albums/ae194/packardhawk58/002-3.jpg

I think this is what you need 58packardwagon, nice when they are new. No Bob, I haven't started that one yet, been gathering parts for it though, bought a Skytop roof from Bob Andrews going to fit that into it, 5spd from Dan, building up a replica R3 engine for it as well. Have all the panels NOS for it now, got to get my Packardhawk finished first.
Ok Ed, you have dangled the carrot, I will give you a call this weekend and see what you have, did you get the pics of the Avanti Convertible I just picked up.
Studie Rich, I saw Myers R2 convertible at SB meet, nice car, we actually went out to the Texas Steak house for dinner one night at the meet along with Greg Diffen, it was good night.
Rich, do me a favour , see if you can chase Mike down for me and get him to send that door panel for your old 64 to my freighter in L.A, I can't seem to get in contact with him at the minute, not answering emails or phone calls.
Thanks Brian

Bill Pressler
12-10-2012, 05:41 AM
Brian, looking great. That white one looks familiar...oh yeah, was in my garage for 23 years! ;)

I did enjoy it while I owned it. A lot of folks said they'd never seen one before with that combination of Avanti power and Skytop, and I believe it.

Was the black car, previously owned by Craig Piper, do you know? It sure looks like the one he had had for a good while.

packardHawk58
12-10-2012, 05:57 AM
[QUOTE=Bill Pressler;701472]Brian, looking great. That white one looks familiar...oh yeah, was in my garage for 23 years! ;)

I did enjoy it while I owned it. A lot of folks said they'd never seen one before with that combination of Avanti power and Skytop, and I believe it.

Was the black car, previously owned by Craig Piper, do you know? It sure looks like the one he had had for a good while.[/QUOT

I don't think so Bill, Klif on the forum use to own it, he bought it out of Florida, it is pretty rusty, my buddy bought it on ebay and got ripped preety bad from the last owner, Kliff did warn the new buyer, but he didn't listen.
How are you going, have you bought anything new yet?

Bill Pressler
12-10-2012, 06:10 AM
No, nothing new yet. To anyone who is reading this, I did sell my '66 and it's on its way to Australia.

At some point, I could enjoy a '66 Cruiser, even a six-cylinder car. Turnkey or close to it is good for a guy like me. Not much in the car budget now since daughter Kelsey is in college now, but one never knows!

plwindish
12-10-2012, 10:37 AM
Those are two very nice Looking Super Larks! Some people see things in black and white. I am more partial to red, but love the black and whilte pair you have.

drew72mgb
12-10-2012, 11:54 AM
Good to see the white one made it to it's new home - I grew up with that car!

1971 to 1979 - learned some auto mechanicals on that Stude - even "learned" body repair - what NOT to do! Bill P. probably saw my "work" LOL. Learned how to weld for the next car - my MGB.

Drew

8E45E
12-10-2012, 02:43 PM
Another SPY! vs SPY! :D

Craig

SN-60
12-10-2012, 05:18 PM
To: packardHawk58,-----Nothing too exciting Brian, just some of the original script that it was 'born' with......still going 'nuts' looking for those spl rear sway bar spring plates....know there around here somewhere.
Talk soon.

avantilover
12-11-2012, 03:25 AM
Nice cars Brian, you Victorians must be building up a nice collection.

packardHawk58
12-11-2012, 03:34 AM
To: packardHawk58,-----Nothing too exciting Brian, just some of the original script that it was 'born' with......still going 'nuts' looking for those spl rear sway bar spring plates....know there around here somewhere.
Talk soon.

Ed, did you get the Avanti photo's I sent you on your personnal email, you must spend to much time on the Forum and don't read it.
Yes John, we also have R1-R2 64's as well, mind you the 64 R2 Avanti went to you state.

avantilover
12-11-2012, 04:36 AM
Yes, I've seen it, nice but Avanti's aren't my taste. Will hopefully get my car back someday - the engine is being rebuilt and a rewiring job, but am awaiting crankshaft bearings. Some !@#$%^ vendor "confirmed" to Chris Skinner that they were in stock, alas it was a lie.

I may see you at the meet next year, many of us are forgetting that idea as it's expensive - one commented that for the cost they could get 2 return tickets to the states.

Anyway,

Regards to all in Victoria.

packardHawk58
12-11-2012, 05:09 AM
Yes, I've seen it, nice but Avanti's aren't my taste. Will hopefully get my car back someday - the engine is being rebuilt and a rewiring job, but am awaiting crankshaft bearings. Some !@#$%^ vendor "confirmed" to Chris Skinner that they were in stock, alas it was a lie.

I may see you at the meet next year, many of us are forgetting that idea as it's expensive - one commented that for the cost they could get 2 return tickets to the states

Anyway,

Regards to all in Victoria.

Funny you should mention that, I am passing as well, I would rather go to Colorado! You better change your name to "Lark lover " instead!

Bill Pressler
12-11-2012, 06:07 AM
Good to see the white one made it to it's new home - I grew up with that car!

1971 to 1979 - learned some auto mechanicals on that Stude - even "learned" body repair - what NOT to do! Bill P. probably saw my "work" LOL. Learned how to weld for the next car - my MGB.

Drew

Drew, I did see a piece of galvanized patch in the left rear wheel well when I took the back seat out once!

Brian, Drew's family owned that Skytop throughout the '70's and one year at South Bend Drew and I met at the car show and he got to see the car again after a long wait.

IIRC, Drew's Dad bought the car from a fellow who had paid $500 for the car on a used car lot in Austin, MN in '68 or '69. It's history from '65 to '68 or so isn't known but apparently it stayed in Minnesota those years, as it had been bought new through the dealer in Moorhead, MN and I had a found a 1967 "University of Minnesota" parking pass under the carpet once!

packardHawk58
12-11-2012, 06:41 AM
Thanks for the update Bill, it's good to know it's history, of course I have all those pics you sent along with the car as well. But Bill, I paid alot more than $500.00.........Iv'e been ripped! LOL

drew72mgb
12-11-2012, 12:01 PM
I vaguely remember my dad paying $350.00 for the car.

The galvanized patch panels used to be a slide attached to a childhood swing set!

When we bought the Lark - the front fenders were rusted above the headlights, down along the doors, the rocker panels were GONE! My dad bought new fenders - inner and outers, the panels behind the headlights, new rockers, new L-A-R-K letters, new Daytona scripts, new carpeting, and new top material. I have since acquired the Body & Chassis parts books and related "Studebaker" paper work from my dad - with receipts for these parts.

We never mounted the LARK letters, or the Daytona scripts - and I still have them.

The previous (to us) owner was Mr. Richard Gustafson - who was (IS) a family friend - and taught Automotive Vocational Technical Classes. This friendship saved the day when my dad broke off a spark plug in the Lark's head - and then broke off the EZ-Out that he tried to use to correct the first "OOPs!" My dad is really NOT a car guy! Realizing he was over his head - the Lark was sold - just as I got my driver's license!

Drew

SN-60
12-11-2012, 04:22 PM
To: packardHawk58,---Brian, got the photos of Your 'new' '89 Avanti convertible....THANKS A LOT.....now My Wife says We need one of those! (Running out of room!) Your convert is absolutely beautiful.
(I did reply back via e-mail Brian) Talk soon!---Ed

stude dude
12-18-2012, 04:28 AM
Don't bail out on the meet just yet......there are going to be a LOT of cars and people there. More than you may be expecting. They all seem to come out of the woodwork every few years and I thing 2013 is going to be the year.

Chris.

avantilover
12-18-2012, 05:36 AM
You think Chris, I can't see the expense being worth it if I can fly to the US for the same cash. Hmmm?