PDA

View Full Version : My first Stude! A 1951 Land Cruiser to restore.

51LandCruiser
12-08-2012, 05:17 PM
Hello all, my name is Daniel and I am 29. Iím new to the forum and Studebakers in general. I have been around classic cars my whole life, working on them with my dad. Unfortunately, we donít have much experience with Studebakers and where to find parts. I recently purchased a 51 Land Cruiser last week to restore, but itís in rough shape. Itís been in a shed since the mid 60ís and was pulled out last year and sold to a friend of my dadís. This is where it entered my life.

The car. My dadís friend had the car for sale a few months ago but it sold to someone else before I could get it. A few weeks ago, he was riding around and noticed a Studebaker being pulled into a scrap yard. He pulled in behind it, and it was the same car he had sold. The guy had started to work on the car and had already pulled the drive train out as well as the headliner but it was still mostly there. The guyís wife was tired of her new car sitting in the driveway getting rained on while the Studebaker sat in the garage, so she made him get rid of it. My dadís friend offered to buy it back slightly above scrap price and hauled it back home. I wired money to my dad and he had the car hauled to his house on the weekend. Unfortunately, the drivetrain didnít come back with it. I have not even seen the car yet as I live in Hilton Head, SC and the car and my dad are in Canton, Ga. I hope to be getting pictures soon but I plan on moving to the car in the next few months. I know I know, most people move the car to them, I am moving to the car. I had planned on moving back to be closer to family anyways; this just sped up the process a little. Some people who have seen the car think I am crazy for wanting to restore it. At this point, the car doesnít look like a desirable candidate for restoration (in their minds of course). Most people would only want it for a parts car with the way it looks but I plan to put it back on the road as a daily driver. The reason being, there is some history with the car and my family.

The history. When my dad was 10 years old, he used to ride in this car. Their neighbor owned it and used to give them rides into town every once in a while. Thatís the reason I am restoring this car. Not just for me, but for my dad as well. He was in this car the last night he saw his sister alive and its the last memory he has of her. She was shot the next day through a window in the house while she was babysitting a little boy and girl. She was only 13. He still remembers sitting up front in the middle, seeing her happy and smiling as she talked to their mom through the window of the car. I know it will take a long time, but I want to see this car on the road again.

It had a spare engine and a spare door with it when my dadís friend first bought it. He never picked up the spare engine but did grab the door. I am hoping the original owner still has the extra engine and didnít throw it out. He told my dad he would have to find the spare door and drop it off for us. Itís also missing the hood ornament but he said he may have that in a drawer somewhere. Iím not really worried about the interior as I have found a few internet sources for that. The main things I want done first are the brakes and getting it running. Once I get it on the road we will go from there.

Parts. The only other things I know of thatís missing (besides the drivetrain), is the Land Cruiser script on the driverís side fender and the passenger headlight housing was broken when it was taken off. Does anyone know of a good place to get these? I will be able to get a better idea of what I will need when I see the car first hand over the holidays and tinker with it a bit.

Thanks for taking time to read this, any help is greatly appreciated.

Mark L
12-08-2012, 05:27 PM
Congratulations Daniel. I lived in Canton for 11 years before I moved to Washington State a few years ago. I bought a 51 Land Cruiser out here from a scrap yard, too. I'm sorry for your father's loss. I wish you good luck with your project, and I hope it helps remind him of the good times with his sister.

Mark

Corvanti
12-08-2012, 05:51 PM
welcome aboard, Daniel!

for parts, here's a couple places to look: http://www.studebakervendors.com/
and: http://www.studebakerswap.com/swap/swap.php

the best advice i can give is to join the "Studebaker Drivers Club". http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/index.asp

the monthly magazine, "Turning Wheels", has a wealth of information, plus a very large amount of parts, etc. available in the classified ads not found elsewhere! :)

PackardV8
12-08-2012, 06:09 PM
Your '51 Land Cruiser is one of the best of the best; the classic bulletnose styling with the new V8.

Is yours an automatic or overdrive?

FWIW, the drivetrain is the easiest part of the build. Basically any Studebaker V8 engine and transmission will fit. The '55-64 259" are the most common and least expensive.

jack vines

Roscomacaw
12-08-2012, 06:26 PM
Welcome, Daniel! What Jack just said. Any of the Stude V8s will fit fine, and as Jack said - the 259s are fairly common and parts are a breeze. You could also fit a 289, since externally it's still the same basic engine. Your LC would've been a 232Cu.in. edition and lots of those are around to be had too. The original automatic (if that's what your car had) is getting hard to find and even harder to get rebuilt. Again tho, the later auto tranny would fit well and would only require some change to the driveshaft front section to work. If it had a manual tranny, you need to find one (it's a Borg-Warner T-86) with the short tailshaft. Again tho, you COULD adapt a later style T-86 to work by changing the front section of the drive shaft. Good luck with your project and keep us posted as to it's progress.

51LandCruiser
12-08-2012, 08:23 PM
Congratulations Daniel. I lived in Canton for 11 years before I moved to Washington State a few years ago. I bought a 51 Land Cruiser out here from a scrap yard, too. I'm sorry for your father's loss. I wish you good luck with your project, and I hope it helps remind him of the good times with his sister.

Mark

Thanks for that, it will be a lot of work but worth it! Always good to meet someone from my home town.

welcome aboard, Daniel!

for parts, here's a couple places to look: http://www.studebakervendors.com/
and: http://www.studebakerswap.com/swap/swap.php

the best advice i can give is to join the "Studebaker Drivers Club". http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/index.asp

the monthly magazine, "Turning Wheels", has a wealth of information, plus a very large amount of parts, etc. available in the classified ads not found elsewhere! :)

Thanks for the links, they will be most helpful. I plan on joining the SDC soon as well as my local chapter.

Your '51 Land Cruiser is one of the best of the best; the classic bulletnose styling with the new V8.

Is yours an automatic or overdrive?

FWIW, the drivetrain is the easiest part of the build. Basically any Studebaker V8 engine and transmission will fit. The '55-64 259" are the most common and least expensive.

jack vines

I'm positive it had the V8 w/OD. I'm new to the whole "hillholder" thing so that will be interesting to utilize once its back on the road. It didn't have blinkers though so i will need to find me some of those.

Welcome, Daniel! What Jack just said. Any of the Stude V8s will fit fine, and as Jack said - the 259s are fairly common and parts are a breeze. You could also fit a 289, since externally it's still the same basic engine. Your LC would've been a 232Cu.in. edition and lots of those are around to be had too. The original automatic (if that's what your car had) is getting hard to find and even harder to get rebuilt. Again tho, the later auto tranny would fit well and would only require some change to the driveshaft front section to work. If it had a manual tranny, you need to find one (it's a Borg-Warner T-86) with the short tailshaft. Again tho, you COULD adapt a later style T-86 to work by changing the front section of the drive shaft. Good luck with your project and keep us posted as to it's progress.

Thanks for the info, it helps a lot. I talked to a gentleman in southern georgia that had a 51 2dr champ for sale. He didnt have what i needed but he did know of a guy that had several old V8 studebakers laying around. I will try and talk with him next week and see if the guy wants to sell anything.

Corvanti
12-08-2012, 08:58 PM
several great Studebaker folks in Georgia (and SC) will be here soon to help you, i'm sure!

BTW: my "new" '51 (well, i'm its caretaker), spent a long time in Fayetteville, GA. :)

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?66633-MY-New-51-Champion-Business-Coupe!

1962larksedan
12-08-2012, 09:04 PM
Let me chime in here and say to def go ahead and upgrade the brakes: either the 1954-66 V8 setup or, better yet, the Turner disc brake conversion. :)

BobPalma
12-08-2012, 09:29 PM
Welcome aboard, Dan. :D 'Nothing to add to what's already been said. You'll have a nice car when it's on the road. :!: BP

51LandCruiser
12-08-2012, 10:03 PM
several great Studebaker folks in Georgia (and SC) will be here soon to help you, i'm sure!

BTW: my "new" '51 (well, i'm its caretaker), spent a long time in Fayetteville, GA. :)

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?66633-MY-New-51-Champion-Business-Coupe!

That is a beautiful car. Me and the wife have been trying to come up with a color scheme for when ours is ready to paint. Its a long way off but we need to pick something soon so I know what color to start on the interior with. I asked my father to get all the codes off the car(door, under hood, under glovebox right?), but he has yet to get back with me. I think the original color was a bluish color but its hard to tell now. Was the original engine color green? I don't think my wife wants the original colors back but we will see.

51LandCruiser
12-08-2012, 10:18 PM
Let me chime in here and say to def go ahead and upgrade the brakes: either the 1954-66 V8 setup or, better yet, the Turner disc brake conversion. :)

I had read somewhere about using the brakes off a 64 and getting a dual master cylinder to go with it. I also looked up some disc brakes online but they are not cheap. On the other hand, this is a part of the car that should be spared no expense.

Welcome aboard, Dan. :D 'Nothing to add to what's already been said. You'll have a nice car when it's on the road. :!: BP

My daughter says its a "cool" car but shes only 3 :).

avantilover
12-09-2012, 01:06 AM
What you could also do is obtain the production order for your car from the Studebaker National Museum in South Bend Indiana. It will disclose how the car was outfitted at the factory and maybe even have the name of the selling dealer - only around $30 I think. All the best with it. Chances are it didn't come with blinkers but the more expert guys will be able to clarify.

51LandCruiser
12-09-2012, 09:50 AM
What you could also do is obtain the production order for your car from the Studebaker National Museum in South Bend Indiana. It will disclose how the car was outfitted at the factory and maybe even have the name of the selling dealer - only around $30 I think. All the best with it. Chances are it didn't come with blinkers but the more expert guys will be able to clarify.

I will try and look into this when I get the numbers. It looks like it didn't come with them from what I was told. It seems to be basic, nothing super fancy. There is a hitch on the back bumper that you can haul a trailer with but that's the only extra thing I know if. I found a studebaker trailer (http://atlanta.craigslist.org/wat/atq/3451574937.html) made from a pickup bed on craigslist that would be neat to pull behind it but one project at a time :). I'm not even sure if I want to keep the hitch really, but time will tell.

51LandCruiser
12-09-2012, 02:58 PM
I talked to my father today and he told me an interesting story.

He was in the house when he heard honking from the road. He looked out in time to see a nice stretch limo pull into the drive. So he goes outside and the drivers window rolls down and its the guy I bought the Studebaker from. he asks, "are you expecting a delivery?" and gets out and goes to the back door. When he opens it, there sits the extra Studebaker door and the hood ornament laying on blankets. Evidently, he had just picked up this "new toy" of his and figured he would show it to my dad and deliver the parts all in one shot.

I have to say, that's one classy way to receive parts for the car. Seemed fitting as well :D

EDIT: also found a pic of it when it was listed on craigslist. Missing front parts are in the trunk.

Peanut
12-09-2012, 03:17 PM
Congratulations on your purchase. The haters and naysayers (and there will be some) will wonder why you're investing your time and money on such a "piece of junk". Don't listen to them. Keep working toward your goal and don't ever give up. Don't focus solely on the cosmetic. If the mechanicals aren't sorted out, it won't be fun to drive, and you won't enjoy it much. That said, here's some inspiration...
http://www.ankokas.com/paragraph_images/180.jpg

62champ
12-09-2012, 04:55 PM
I had read somewhere about using the brakes off a 64 and getting a dual master cylinder to go with it. I also looked up some disc brakes online but they are not cheap. On the other hand, this is a part of the car that should be spared no expense.

The brakes up through 1953 are known for being a little on the inadequate side - even people at the time said the same thing. Any V8 brakes from 1954-66 that are drum are a bolt on switch. And those drums will slide all four tires - disk will do no better than that - so unless you are going to do some auto-crossing and need to be on them a lot in a short period of time, the later drums will be more than enough.

Good luck and keep us posted - and those of us who are visual learners love to see some photos!

Sdude
12-09-2012, 08:33 PM
It may not be a Land Cruiser but it is another 4 door sedan you can use for inspiration.
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5186/5648569194_feee6ea88d_b.jpg

51LandCruiser
12-09-2012, 09:40 PM
The brakes up through 1953 are known for being a little on the inadequate side - even people at the time said the same thing. Any V8 brakes from 1954-66 that are drum are a bolt on switch. And those drums will slide all four tires - disk will do no better than that - so unless you are going to do some auto-crossing and need to be on them a lot in a short period of time, the later drums will be more than enough.

Good luck and keep us posted - and those of us who are visual learners love to see some photos!
Thanks for the info, that is great to know. And will do, I will be getting some more pics soon. They will be phone pics but its better than nothing.

Congratulations on your purchase. The haters and naysayers (and there will be some) will wonder why you're investing your time and money on such a "piece of junk". Don't listen to them. Keep working toward your goal and don't ever give up. Don't focus solely on the cosmetic. If the mechanicals aren't sorted out, it won't be fun to drive, and you won't enjoy it much. That said, here's some inspiration...

Thanks, I wont give up. That's a nice looking car, same color mine was. I think my wife is starting to like that color.

It may not be a Land Cruiser but it is another 4 door sedan you can use for inspiration.

Wow that one looks good too. I know mine will be a beautiful car when its finished. :)

StudeMann
12-10-2012, 12:26 AM
Congratulations, Dan.
I'm currently restoring my own 51 Land Cruiser. I previously owned a 51 2 door coupe and prefer the LC. Google Autocolor Library and you can look up the colors available for 1951 Studebakers if you want to change but still keep with the available stock colors.
i am still trying to decide whether to stick with the original Comanche Red on mine or paint it Black Cherry which was also available on the LC.
Cheers!
Jim

51LandCruiser
12-10-2012, 07:32 PM
Congratulations, Dan.
I'm currently restoring my own 51 Land Cruiser. I previously owned a 51 2 door coupe and prefer the LC. Google Autocolor Library and you can look up the colors available for 1951 Studebakers if you want to change but still keep with the available stock colors.
i am still trying to decide whether to stick with the original Comanche Red on mine or paint it Black Cherry which was also available on the LC.
Cheers!
Jim

Thanks! Yeah I like the Land Cruiser a lot :). Thanks for the color info, it helps. My wife is fine with the original color now, but still debating on other things. Verdict is still out on the interior colors though we are leaning toward a cream or almond type color. Still debating on if we want the car a solid color or if we want to 2-tone it with the cream/almond color. Paint will be a long way off but my father wants to know for the interior. I have the photos now and he has already test sanded an area clean of rust and resealed it with paint. He chose a Charcoal grey metallic just to see what it would look like. It wouldn't look bad for a rod maybe but he already knows its going back blue.

I will post pics in a little bit after I get my daughter ready for bed :).

Sdude
12-10-2012, 08:17 PM
Here's a picture of what mine looked like when I bought it. Not much better than yours and it was the same color (maui blue). I went a different way with mine and put modern running gear in it. It now has a 5.3L with 4L60E. We had to reconfigure the firewall and went inside the car about 8 inches. We moved the dash inward and moved the front seat back too. I wish mine was a Land Cruiser as I could use the extra room on the inside.

I struggled with color for about 5 years going back and forth. I'm glad I chose an original looking color. It's not exact but is quite similar to a color that was available on the 51s. I have seen a few two tone customs that didn't look bad but if you want an original look, these did not come in two tone. I'm really glad I stayed away from a "trendy" color.

19388 19389 1939019391
If you are interested in my conversion, I have tons of pictures I could share of various stages of the process. Send me a PM and I can e-mail you whatever strikes your interest.

51LandCruiser
12-10-2012, 09:47 PM
Here's a picture of what mine looked like when I bought it. Not much better than yours and it was the same color (maui blue). I went a different way with mine and put modern running gear in it. It now has a 5.3L with 4L60E. We had to reconfigure the firewall and went inside the car about 8 inches. We moved the dash inward and moved the front seat back too. I wish mine was a Land Cruiser as I could use the extra room on the inside.

I struggled with color for about 5 years going back and forth. I'm glad I chose an original looking color. It's not exact but is quite similar to a color that was available on the 51s. I have seen a few two tone customs that didn't look bad but if you want an original look, these did not come in two tone. I'm really glad I stayed away from a "trendy" color.

If you are interested in my conversion, I have tons of pictures I could share of various stages of the process. Send me a PM and I can e-mail you whatever strikes your interest.

Very nice and a great paint color! It would be nice to keep it original, but I see now that some upgrades are needed. I will put a more modern engine in it that will not need lead additive. And it will be on 12v as well as having drums from a later model. I guess its looking like it will be less and less original lol. I will take you up on that offer when we start taking it apart, it will be very helpful :).

TX Rebel
12-10-2012, 09:52 PM
Congratulations on your new project! I hope that LC isn't pregnant because it is dangerous to adopt pregnant cars or pets, which is what must have happened to me when I was about your age.lol

I have 3 '51 Commanders and a ton of parts here at he Texas Studebaker Ranch, so let me know if I can be of help.
Matt in Ga should be able to point you toward some good sources of parts also.

www.Studebakersite.com

51LandCruiser
12-10-2012, 10:19 PM
Here are some pics!

Another friend of my dads mentioned a place where I can take the steering wheel and get it remolded in atlanta. I am also curious about the wheels, are they original? Sadly there where no hubcaps.

dnevin
12-10-2012, 11:49 PM
Looks like a solid car to start with. I'll be happy to see the progress as you go through this one--I've always liked the 51 Land Cruisers.

jclary
12-11-2012, 07:32 AM
Welcome aboard to the Land Cruiser world, Daniel! If you keep the Maui Blue color, that will be at least two ot them in the south east, although mine lives in the hills. Mine finally hit the 60,000 mile mark last summer. Land Cruisers are cool. Although I don't drive it very much...I love easing into a cruise-in parking lot with "Big Band Swing" music (Moonlight Serenade) emanating from a speaker hidden behind the grille.

These photos were taken as my wife was preparing to drive it to a gathering on International Drive Your Studebaker Day a few years back. That day, she, my daughter, and I drove three Studebakers to a fun event.

I am surprised that yours didn't have turn signals. Also, I have not seen very many without an automatic transmission. Being the top of the line car, Land Cruisers usually had most of the latest "bells and whistles." If I had my preferences, mine would have had a manual transmission. Not that it would be any better, but because I am more comfortable working on them. So far, mine still works.

On a side note...When I graduated from college in 1973 and moved to Greer, SC, I bought insurance from a local State Farm agent. He has long since retired...his name...Dan Stovall!:)

Yanqui84@gmail.com
12-11-2012, 11:34 AM
Im there with you bud. I also have a 4 door Studebaker President that i get critics saying i'm wasting money on it.... That just motivates me to make it nicer.... Good luch in your build.

Look at the pictures attach the before and now pictures and i'm still working on it.

http://www.ankokas.com/paragraph_images/180.jpg

deco_droid
12-11-2012, 11:57 AM
Hey Daniel -- Good luck with the car. It sounds like you have a strong motivation to see this restoration through to the end. Can't wait to see the finished product! I am a recent Stude owner as well, and the only advice I have is to not get in a hurry -- just have fun fixing the car up. I am currently refurbishing all my gauges, but will have them back in place in a week or so. I'll chime in to any of your future posts to help if I can...

51LandCruiser
12-13-2012, 09:40 PM
Looks like a solid car to start with. I'll be happy to see the progress as you go through this one--I've always liked the 51 Land Cruisers.
Thanks, I will try and post pics as I work on it.

Welcome aboard to the Land Cruiser world, Daniel! If you keep the Maui Blue color, that will be at least two ot them in the south east, although mine lives in the hills. Mine finally hit the 60,000 mile mark last summer. Land Cruisers are cool. Although I don't drive it very much...I love easing into a cruise-in parking lot with "Big Band Swing" music (Moonlight Serenade) emanating from a speaker hidden behind the grille.

These photos were taken as my wife was preparing to drive it to a gathering on International Drive Your Studebaker Day a few years back. That day, she, my daughter, and I drove three Studebakers to a fun event.

I am surprised that yours didn't have turn signals. Also, I have not seen very many without an automatic transmission. Being the top of the line car, Land Cruisers usually had most of the latest "bells and whistles." If I had my preferences, mine would have had a manual transmission. Not that it would be any better, but because I am more comfortable working on them. So far, mine still works.

On a side note...When I graduated from college in 1973 and moved to Greer, SC, I bought insurance from a local State Farm agent. He has long since retired...his name...Dan Stovall!:)
Ha! That's funny. There are a lot of Stovall's around, we even have our own webpage (http://stovall.org/) lol. I think it was a very basic Land Cruiser, but I love it none the less. When I move back to north ga, I will be back in the hills as well. The lowcountry is just too flat for me lol. Gotta have my mountains with the scenic look offs. I want to be able to drive my dad up to Amicalola Falls in this car. I will have to find a radio and install in it so I can play some Sinatra. I love the music from that time, just like the cars. They just don't make either now days like they used to.

Im there with you bud. I also have a 4 door Studebaker President that i get critics saying i'm wasting money on it.... That just motivates me to make it nicer.... Good luch in your build.

Look at the pictures attach the before and now pictures and i'm still working on it.
That color looks great on that car! Very nice. I have already decided that I am going to be with this car for the long haul, so I'm not going to worry myself about a profit margin or resale value. My daughter thinks its a cool car so she may end up with it one day.

Hey Daniel -- Good luck with the car. It sounds like you have a strong motivation to see this restoration through to the end. Can't wait to see the finished product! I am a recent Stude owner as well, and the only advice I have is to not get in a hurry -- just have fun fixing the car up. I am currently refurbishing all my gauges, but will have them back in place in a week or so. I'll chime in to any of your future posts to help if I can...
Thanks, I really like restoring cars with my dad. I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. We are going to do a frame up restoration for now. When I have more funds to put toward it, I will have the body pulled but that will be a long way off. Don't get me wrong, I would prefer to pull the body first. I just don't want it sitting for several years half put together until I had the money to finish it. I would rather enjoy it now and do what I can for it little by little until its finished. Besides, I know she wants to stretch her legs after being cooped up for so long!

51LandCruiser
12-28-2012, 12:48 PM
Got a question. Is this original interior for the car? Its on everything, what is it? It looks like some sort of alligator skin to me but I really have no clue.

studebakerjoe
12-28-2012, 01:17 PM
welcome to studebaker drivers club and studebakers in general. i remember five years ago when my husband bought my first classic car which was a studebaker lark sitting in the weeds in pa. and i think it is a very nice thing for a son to do for his father, and i wish you well in restoring your car. judy schultz

jclary
12-28-2012, 01:27 PM
Yes...that is the original! It was (for the period) some of the most elegant and expensive upholstery offered. The vinyl gator skin portion should be salvageable in the hands of a skilled upholsterer if not torn or too brittle.

Even for what you think is a "basic" Land Cruiser, they were well equipped and dressed elegantly. Like a stately old mansion...they were not flashy, gaudy, or loud. They didn't need to be.:)

Mark L
12-29-2012, 12:06 AM
It looks like the same interior in mine when I found it.

Mark L.

avantilover
12-29-2012, 12:23 AM
Can I suggest SMS Auto Fabrics for your upholstery requirements, from what I saw on this page, if they don't have it they can make it for you.
http://www.smsautofabrics.com/featured-products.php

A lovely car, all the best with it.

51LandCruiser
08-26-2013, 12:32 AM
It's been a while, I have had a lot going on. We finally moved back to Ga. The company I transferred to has kept me super busy so I have not had much free time. On top of that, we are remodeling the house and my wife insists every last cent (including imaginary ones) go toward the house for now. We also got an old sandblaster to use on it but that thing is having its own problems as well. I did have a deal fall into my lap though, A friend of my dads has a 305, tranny and dual exhaust system complete with glasspacks he pulled out of a truck he scrapped that he wants to sell to me dirt cheap. The tranny is an auto though but it could be a good thing because my wife wants to drive it as well. I'm just curious as to what all I would need to fit a 305 in it? I will be getting the brakes upgraded, but I was wondering about motor mounts, steering, electrical etc. The wiring in my car is shot so I will have to get new harnesses anyways. I'm kinda letting my dad make the decisions on how he wants it since he has the history with the car and he is the reason I bought it. Just as long as we get to work on it together is all that matters. Has anyone ever done a 305 conversion before and what am I getting myself into?

junior
08-26-2013, 09:53 AM
. Has anyone ever done a 305 conversion before and what am I getting myself into?

There have been many, many SBC engines swapped into these cars over the years, so yes it can be done, and there is nothing wrong with a 305...but that does not mean it's the cheapest, nor easiest thing to do. If you just want a fun cruiser you may find you're ahead to find a good used Studebaker v8/trans that runs well and does not require rebuilding and plop it in the factory mounts. I have no actual experience with this chassis and what it takes to put a chebby engine in, but just bringing this up for you to consider. Just because the 305 is cheap, does not mean swapping engines is the way to go... once it's all said and done, you may find it possibly will cost more to get the car driving down the road then going the Stude engine route. What ever you decide, just remember that you need to enjoy working on the car...

regards, junior

51LandCruiser
08-26-2013, 02:55 PM
There have been many, many SBC engines swapped into these cars over the years, so yes it can be done, and there is nothing wrong with a 305...but that does not mean it's the cheapest, nor easiest thing to do. If you just want a fun cruiser you may find you're ahead to find a good used Studebaker v8/trans that runs well and does not require rebuilding and plop it in the factory mounts. I have no actual experience with this chassis and what it takes to put a chebby engine in, but just bringing this up for you to consider. Just because the 305 is cheap, does not mean swapping engines is the way to go... once it's all said and done, you may find it possibly will cost more to get the car driving down the road then going the Stude engine route. What ever you decide, just remember that you need to enjoy working on the car...

regards, junior

I was told we would have to change the steering as well as a few other things. If thats true, I think I may just keep looking for a 259/289 to put in it.

deco_droid
09-04-2013, 03:22 PM
I don't know that he posts here, but this guy showed on his blog site how he put a Studebaker 289 in his 51 coupe, so it is possible, and probably easier to go this way, if you want more power...

http://www.webring.org/go?ring=studebaker;id=91;ac=0cI%A1%9B%FE%D3%C8%27%1B%7BR%01%FF%C5%BF%95%3A5%1B9% 0D%E0%EF%C6%B1%89%601N6%0F%F5%C8%D5%B2%C1iKSw%02%E9%C9%B0%B6%91+_%27r%13%F2%CA%B 1%E6%C8%23%01%21%0C%18%F3%C8%E4%8C%8At;go

Mark L
09-04-2013, 08:06 PM
Welcome back, Daniel. I just got my '51 Land Cruiser moved out of storage and into my garage, so I may be restoring along side you.

Mark L.
formerly of Canton GA

dean pearson
09-05-2013, 12:00 AM
It will be far far easier end the end to go with original running gear. Trust me the next Studebaker I buy and yes there will be another when this one is done, Will be 100% original.
As far as your car goes I have seen much worse posted on here and in the end they had amazing results.

I may have some tail light lenses and bezels to donate when you get to that point. My car is a Mutt 52 hard top with 51 front fenders and 50 bullet nose. Once I sort it all out I think I have some extra 51 front pieces. With a history like that anything extra is yours for shipping.

Good luck with your project!

Dean.

StudeMann
09-06-2013, 02:16 AM
Congratulations, Dan.
Cheers!
Jim

Hi Dan,

I finally got my LC painted and back on the road for my daughter's wedding 2 weeks ago. Here she is repainted in her original Comanche Red. I get nothing but huge compliments on the color. I still have some of the brightwork pieces to install before she's fully decked out.

Cheers,

Jim

51LandCruiser
09-07-2013, 04:09 PM
I signed up for my SDC membership last night and will be applying to the local chapter over the next few days. This has been long overdue!

I don't know that he posts here, but this guy showed on his blog site how he put a Studebaker 289 in his 51 coupe, so it is possible, and probably easier to go this way, if you want more power...

http://www.webring.org/go?ring=studebaker;id=91;ac=0cI%A1%9B%FE%D3%C8%27%1B%7BR%01%FF%C5%BF%95%3A5%1B9% 0D%E0%EF%C6%B1%89%601N6%0F%F5%C8%D5%B2%C1iKSw%02%E9%C9%B0%B6%91+_%27r%13%F2%CA%B 1%E6%C8%23%01%21%0C%18%F3%C8%E4%8C%8At;go

Thanks for the link, it will come in handy!

Welcome back, Daniel. I just got my '51 Land Cruiser moved out of storage and into my garage, so I may be restoring along side you.

Mark L.
formerly of Canton GA

Great! Right now my job is taking up most of my time. The car is sitting in the back yard since we don't have a shop to work out of. Once it "looks" better, we will move it around to the front of the house and put it on the car port. Work should go smoother at that point. I called around for some sandblasting quotes and almost had a heart attack. It has been a long time since we got anything sandblasted and the price has jumped since then! I don't have a clue if the little sandblaster we got will ever work again either. For now, we are just hand sanding the whole thing a section at a time and resealing with paint instead of primer since its in the elements. We are using a gloss black lacquer paint so that we can see all the imperfections better after we reseal. then we will know where we need to re-sand and what will need to be wiped down to smooth it up. we are also finding a lot of leaded spots and holes under the paint that will need to be fiberglassed or cut out and rebuilt. the trunk lip in particular has me a little worried but my father is confident he can cut out the bad areas and rebuild them no problem.

It will be far far easier end the end to go with original running gear. Trust me the next Studebaker I buy and yes there will be another when this one is done, Will be 100% original.
As far as your car goes I have seen much worse posted on here and in the end they had amazing results.

I may have some tail light lenses and bezels to donate when you get to that point. My car is a Mutt 52 hard top with 51 front fenders and 50 bullet nose. Once I sort it all out I think I have some extra 51 front pieces. With a history like that anything extra is yours for shipping.

Good luck with your project!

Dean.

Thank you so much! We had decided for now to just sand down a lot of the pieces and fill the pits, then paint them charcoal grey until I can afford to get them replated.

Hi Dan,

I finally got my LC painted and back on the road for my daughter's wedding 2 weeks ago. Here she is repainted in her original Comanche Red. I get nothing but huge compliments on the color. I still have some of the brightwork pieces to install before she's fully decked out.

Cheers,

Jim

This is the color we are going with! My dad had some dark red paint that he resealed an A pillar with after it was sanded and it looked sharp! I think it will look good with the dark gray metallic bumpers and trim we are having to paint until we can get them shiny again :).