Fitting a windshield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fitting a windshield

I totally (re-)built the Champ Myself except for that darn windshield. After 3 or 4 solo tries I gave up and called my glass man (after cleaning off the 3-M 08509 that was everywhere). Amazingly it only took us a half hour or so with the right technique. I took notes.

Today it was the '62 Galaxie Convertible's turn so it was time to show off everything I'd learned. Not so fast big guy! The windshield was 3/8 of an inch too tall in the middle! My partner on this car thought I was nuts when I pulled out the electric drill with a 40 grit sanding pad on it. Not fast but after 5 hours and two gallons of cooling water it is nearly a proper fit.

Somebody sit on the roof?
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Rag top !! Trim, top everything is straight.

Comment

Were you putting the same windshield back in that came out of this car?
        KURTRUK
        (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

no it was a new one that took 6 months to locate. The old one was missing too many pieces.

Comment

Funny how us Studebaker people can make things work, just last week I needed 3 windshields for 64 sedans and only had 3 63 windshields , I did have a cracked 64 so I knew I have a good pattern, after laying the64 over the 63 I could see what the difference was I knew the 63 was larger but until now didn't know how much and where as it worked out the 63 was only about 1/2" longer on the outside legs so using a marker I made the lines that needed to be cut got out the high speed 4" grinder and cut along the new lines on both sides then took the high speed finishing grinder with 26 grit disk and finished trimming down to the line all 3 cut perfect and easy shipped 2 out to So.Cal and installed the other in the brown 64 Daytona hardtop, where there is a will there is a way.
            Candbstudebakers
            Castro Valley,
            California

Comment

Dang ! I never thought of the angle grinder !

Comment

Hummm..., I wonder where the windshields that went to So. Cal. ended up?
                Attached Files
                '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

I don't know , just know some kid came by chucked them in the back of his car and took off, and could care less if there got there in one piece or more, sure like it when things work out.
                  Candbstudebakers
                  Castro Valley,
                  California

Comment

Working...
                  X