Restorable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restorable

We've had many discussions about how much car you need to build a "real" car and not a clone. In this months Road and Track, Haggerdy insurance has their answer. For high dollar cars, if the original frame and engine survives a fire for example, they'll pay to build the rest, even a new body and the rest. Of course we are talking 6 figure cars here, not a Studebaker.
    JDP Maryland

To: JDP,------I know of a '57 Studebaker Golden Hawk that's a six-figure car.

Comment

mine is a six figure (or even seven) car ........Please don't tell the wife.....and don't count the stupid decimal points.......2500000

Comment

Most classic car insurers, with proper documentation, will insure any car to a stated value. If you've got proof it take $X,XXX,XXX to duplicate your car, they'll come up with an appropriate premium and promise to replace it or pay you the stated value.

jack vines
        PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by jg61hawk View Post
          mine is a six figure (or even seven) car ........Please don't tell the wife.....and don't count the stupid decimal points.......2500000
          Wow, thanks jg61hawk, I can show this to my wife and say "see Honey I have not spent that much on the Hawk", see what he spent! Ha ha.

Comment

Six figures? Could be $100,000 or $999,999. Only a difference of $800,001......

Comment

Originally posted by 63 R2 Hawk View Post
              Six figures? Could be $100,000 or $999,999. Only a difference of $800,001......
              Looks like a difference of $899,999 to me <G>.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

That's OK, close enough as we will soon be using metric dollars in the USA.
                sigpic
                Lark Parker --Just an innocent possum strolling down life's highway.

Comment

In the automotive, race and aircraft worlds, it doesn't take much to rebuild-repair-restore an item.
                  There are cases where bits of a wrecked race car were seperated and eventually, two complete cars with the same serial were out there. Someone restored the front, another the rear.

There are WWII Spitfires and Mustangs out there that are made of younger metal than my Avanti's frame and never saw a wartime factory...let alone a "Rosie the Riviter".
                  63 Avanti R1 2788
                  1914 Stutz Bearcat
                  (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

I believe there were actually three Jag D types with the same chassis number recently....or perhaps C types. A wrecked race car, one guy had the motor and tranny, one the frame and diff, one what was left of the body. All three were constructed simultaniously nobody knowing about the other two. I don't think that one has been resolved.

Another case was two Ferrari SWB with the same number, one built up from the body the other from the engine and transmission, the balance with recreated parts. One man of means bought both cars at discounted prices because of the dispute, took all the pieces from the number and built one no questions original car and a duplicate from the two and came out ahead. Now he has one he can track without fear and one that can be shown.

Originally posted by JBOYLE View Post
                    In the automotive, race and aircraft worlds, it doesn't take much to rebuild-repair-restore an item.
                    There are cases where bits of a wrecked race car were seperated and eventually, two complete cars with the same serial were out there. Someone restored the front, another the rear.

There are WWII Spitfires and Mustangs out there that are made of younger metal than my Avanti's frame and never saw a wartime factory...let alone a "Rosie the Riviter".
                    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

[QUOTE=studegary;699846]Looks like a difference of $899,999 to me <G>

I think you are exactly right! I am not a rocket scientist, although I DID work in the Rocket Factory... ; )

Comment

The remaining 3 J boats are almost completly new but retain their names and pedigree.
                        Just another example.

Comment

Working...
                        X