Wheel color

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel color

I was reading an article on super larks, and it stated the wheel color was "pebble sand". Is this the wheel color of all or most studebakers of 63-64 era?
    Thanks

Yes - sort of a creamy yellow. I am not sure about the pebble sand name, but sand sounds about right. All of the 1963-1964 car wheels were this same color.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Wonder if it is close to this:

This is Ford Wimbledon White from a rattle can - but somehow I am thinking the white for those last years had a little more white in it.

Comment

No, too much white. They were not Yellow, they were a more Beige off white. Slightly Almond, Tusk Ivory, off-White Color.

The Canadian '64, '65, '66's were much whiter, close to your Truck wheel.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

63s were more cream colored. 64 and up were different and whiter (but not white white though).

Comment

Here is a better photo that shows two different whites.

Photo is from 2010 when the bumpers had been freshly painted in Wimbledon White and the wheels were just a generic white I had painted years before.

The earlier photo was taken inside with a flash - that is making it look more white than it is.

Last edited by 62champ; 12-01-2012, 08:55 PM.

Comment

I did my junkyard Crown Vic wheels with a Ford Wimbledon White mixed at a paint supply house and teamed up with an aerosol sprayer. It was a base coat/clear coat. Mine looks quite a bit more yellow than yours, but the clear coat did a little yellowing of its own.Paul
              I finally have a Stude I can drive! (sort of)
              1962 GT Hawk, 4 speed, a/c

Comment

That is a very nice '62 Champ with the special order narrow Box, but the Car Wheels that 00RACER is talking about are a completely different animal.
                On South Bend '62 to early '64 they are Almond (Beige).
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

About 15 years ago I was restoring a 1962 T Cab truck and the question about wheel color came up so we pulled the tires off 3 rims to see what was the original shade not exposed to sun and road dirt for years. All 3 had slightly different shades of off white, one had a rose tint, another had a yellow tint and the 3rd had a bluish tint. These were all FACTORY paints put on by Studebaker when built. So I had one color scanned at a local paint supplier and yes, the FORD Wimbledon White was the closest formula to match with. That is what I painted the wheels and bumpers with.
                  Stude8
                  Attached Files

Comment

The spare wheel for my 64 GT Hawk was darker in color than the mounted wheels. My car has been in the famiily since new so I know the all of the wheels are original. Years ago when I detailed my car I painted all of the wheels a light almond color that matched the spare wheel. Everything was fine until I took my car to the Lancaster meet in 2008 and noticed that my wheel color was different from all of the other 64's. Early this year I bought the correct color from SI, removed the wheels and tires from the car, wet sanded them and then repainted them. After completing the 4 wheels I compared them to the spare wheel and laughed at the time I spent to change the wheel color just a slight bit (new paint was just slightly lighter in color).

Randy
                    Randy Ridenour
                    Frostburg,MD
                    1964 GT Hawk
                    sigpic

Comment

So, the front bumper color was the same as used on the wheels? I finally received a pair of wheels today for my 62 Champ. They're going to get bead blasted first followed by a primer & paint, new metal valve stems & new BFG Long Trail tires. Since I'll be in the paint mode I might as well do the front bumper too, so I want to do it in the right color.

Looking forward to driving this truck more than 30 miles from home. The real test will come when I bring home my #2 Avanti from the old house to out here. Then next "the Beast" will make the trip. Rich & Dave know that one!
                      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                      64 Zip Van
                      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Knowing how "economical" Studebaker was, I am sure they would not use a different white on the wheels of trucks than the front bumper...but I have been wrong in the past...

Comment

Originally posted by 62champ View Post
                          Knowing how "economical" Studebaker was, I am sure they would not use a different white on the wheels of trucks than the front bumper...but I have been wrong in the past...
                          Did Studebaker themselves paint the wheels? Or did they arrive already painted from Kelsey-Hayes, or whoever the wheel supplier was?

Craig

Comment

This is an NOS wheel I bought in SB back in 2008

Comment

Working...
                            X