Nice Studebaker National Museum Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice Studebaker National Museum Report

The Indianapolis Star ran a special feature on The Studebaker National Museum in the Saturday, November 17 Auto Advertising Section.

'Thought everyone might like to see it:

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Way cool, Bob.
    Thanks for posting.
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Although South Bend may have shuddered when Studebaker closed, the plant did anything but shudder. It was shuttered. Closed.

Always thought I could be a newpaper editor or copy-checker, but it's obvious they're not hiring them any more. Just use Spel Chek.

(Good article, but as usual, could leave the reader thinking the Lincoln carriage is a Studebaker.)

EDIT: Fact check. Check your facts. The pink car in Grease was a '48 Commander, not a bulletnose!
      Attached Files
      Last edited by kurtruk; 11-30-2012, 08:44 PM. Reason: Added Pic
      KURTRUK
      (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Also the remark about the Packard Merger (which I guess it was in a sense) after which Packards were facelifted Studebakers (1957 & 8 only). Loewy didn't design the Avanti his associates did. One does wonder what they would have made post 1966 considering what there was in Canada, no Trucks or Hawks, no cash for a new body etc. Ultimately, you can't blame the Corporation for closing a loss-making division, I wonder whether they would ever have been profitable regardless of the amount of cash spent to modernise.
        John Clements
        Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

That's a good article. Many thanks for posting it.

Rog
          '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
          Smithtown,NY
          Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

The R-2 supercharged Avanti should have been credited with a good bit more than 240hp. That figure is R-1 territory. Not critizising as most of these newspaper stories always have mistakes like this in them. Andy Beckman was probably throwing too many facts at the poor reporter trying to take notes. <G> Good publicity though.
            Frank van Doorn
            Omaha, Ne.
            1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
            1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
            1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

I just spent a week helping a friend work on a house he bought across from the Museum entrance on Thomas Street. There are no words to express what it is like to wake up every morning and look out at the Museum. The first day I pinched myself to make sure I was still alive. I sure smiled a lot this week as I looked onto the museum. It is also encouraging to see all the activity there through out the day when there are not Studebaker Events in South Bend. Unfortunately we ran out of time and did not make it to the museum this trip.
              Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
              1961 Hawk 4-speed
              1967 Avanti
              1961 Lark 2 door
              1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

In general it is a good article and beneficial to the SNM.

It does have the usual amount of errors and proofreading (or lack of) mistakes of a current newspaper. The "shuddered" error is hard to believe. Perhaps the writer was using voice recognition software to write the article and that is what shuttered sounded like. I hate to think that the writer does not understand the difference. Of course, Spell Check does not pick up this type of error.

I believe that Studebaker rated the R1 at 240 HP, not the R2 (supercharged).
                A base Avanti (with non-supercharged R1) was "$4445", not an R2.
                I can't make sense of; "The Raymond all-designed 1939 Champion..."
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                  In general it is a good article and beneficial to the SNM.

It does have the usual amount of errors and proofreading (or lack of) mistakes of a current newspaper. The "shuddered" error is hard to believe. Perhaps the writer was using voice recognition software to write the article and that is what shuttered sounded like. I hate to think that the writer does not understand the difference. Of course, Spell Check does not pick up this type of error.

I believe that Studebaker rated the R1 at 240 HP, not the R2 (supercharged).
                  A base Avanti (with non-supercharged R1) was "$4445", not an R2.
                  I can't make sense of; "The Raymond all-designed 1939 Champion..."
                  I know that certain members get annoyed with your grammar and spelling comments Gary, but I for one agree with you. As one who spent his life in marketing and "speaking/writing" correctly. I'm amazed about the number of journalists, both print and broadcast, along with TV graphics people, who simply don't know the fine points of communicating. Years ago you didn't have to have a college degree to get somewhere in the communications industry. Now you do. So does this mean that the education industry doesn't teach correctness any more? Just wondering. Or do most people even care?
                  Stu Chapman

Comment

Originally posted by Stu Chapman View Post
                    Years ago you didn't have to have a college degree to get somewhere in the communications industry. Now you do. So does this mean that the education industry doesn't teach correctness any more? Just wondering. Or do most people even care?
                    Stu Chapman
                    My son is a University Professor my daughter a University Teaching Assistant, I have seen work handed in by their students for grading purposes. Correct spelling appears to be optional and grammar non existent much to the annoyance of both of them. My daughter more so because some of her courses are in English literature and History. The blame is partially on the unpreparedness of the students when they leave high school.
                    sigpic
                    55 President Deluxe
                    64 Commander
                    66 Cruiser

37 Oldsmobile F37 4 Door

Comment

The blame is partially on the unpreparedness of the students when they leave high school.
                      I disagree.
                      The problem is that no one in charge gives a crap about proper spelling or grammar.

That's why the KC Star described the murder scene of the Chiefs NFL player as "grizzly".
                      The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Pile View Post
                        I disagree.
                        The problem is that no one in charge gives a crap about proper spelling or grammar.
                        Perhaps you are correct the people in charge of the universities don't care, their concern is enrolment.
                        sigpic
                        55 President Deluxe
                        64 Commander
                        66 Cruiser

37 Oldsmobile F37 4 Door

Comment

Grummattical airors lyke thees R appauling! Aye'd vollentear two pruf-reed four them if aye cood!
                          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by rbruner
                            A recent NPR story on the movie about Lincoln stated that movie execs visited the SNM in South Bend to study Lincoln's carriage. Has this been covered in any previous posts?
                            I have not seen any posts. Perhaps some one from the museum could enlighten us. I was told that they opened and closed Lincoln's carriage doors and recorded the sound.
                            sigpic
                            55 President Deluxe
                            64 Commander
                            66 Cruiser

37 Oldsmobile F37 4 Door

Comment

Originally posted by rbruner
                              A recent NPR story on the movie about Lincoln stated that movie execs visited the SNM in South Bend to study Lincoln's carriage. Has this been covered in any previous posts?
                              The movie use of the sound of the latch on Lincoln's carriage in the SNM has been covered in another post.
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                              X