"52 quarter miler called the "Maggot"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "52 quarter miler called the "Maggot"

Wasn't there a thread not long ago about a '52 Commander drag car called the "Maggot"?

Anyway- the HAMB has a thread about it now and its been sold and will be restored to race trim which I think is rather cool

Just bought a 52 Studebaker commander coupe drag race car called The Maggot. It raced east of the Mississippi and was runner up in 67/68 in M-class or...

Yes there was a link. I went and looked at it about a year ago.
    Good to hear that someone now has it and we may see it againat some vintage dragstrip.
    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Stude powered???

Comment

Yes, it was Stude powered. It ran in the Jr. Stock NHRA classes, primarily M stock if I remember correctly.
        Joe Roberts
        '61 R1 Champ
        '65 Cruiser
        Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Sure would be great if the new owner would call on the treasure of wisdom from one of our forum members...Ted Harbit. If you are going to bring a Studebaker racing legend back to prominence...why not involve a "living legend" in the process.

(At least give him the respect to explain why he's too busy.)
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Ted did know of Peter.
            When I was a teen in my 52 I'd see Peter anfd the "Magot" every sunday morning heading to our local drag strip in Cayuga , On . I thought it was pretty cool I had a car just like his fast drag car ( except mine was a 6 banger )
            sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Kind of a mixture of parts there.
              Aren't those 51 trail lights and also the gravel guards?

Dean.

Comment

Hello SDC folks, Pete Magel's Maggot is out of the barn

Hi folks, Yes the 52 Studebaker Commander State known as "THE MAGGOT" has been pulled out of the barn last week and has moved a 1/4 mile from the old Niagara dragway nearly unchanged from its racing days and in great shape. I went to look at a 1927 Essex coupe but couldn't get by the Maggot without a good hard look. The car was dusty but straight, solid, with a nice interior, it had the side pipes sticking out from under and I knew it had to be something different. The guy popped the hood and there was a plain jane looking V-8 with small 2 barrel but wild wheel well headers, a dual point, twin coils and just a few parts missing. He told me the car was owned by Pete Magel and it was a drag car called THE MAGGOT. He went on to tell me about the car and driver, that the car was a m/class stock, was runner-up at a national event in the 60's and was the car to beat at many western NY and southern Ont race tracks. He told me Pete did all his own work on the car and knew how to get all he could out of the car. Anyway right now I plan on getting history on the driver and the car together and bringing the car back to life. It should not take much, the last owner had it running 5-7 years ago but the points broke apart and he has not had it running since. I am looking forward to getting to know the SDC people & learning more about Pete & The Maggot, so if you have any stories, pictures or film please let me know. I would love to talk to Ted Harbit about the Maggot and Pete ( I saw Ted in Jan 2013 issue of Muscle Machine mag ) if anyone talks to him let him know. I know of Pete's days after racing but its racing days I would like to know about. What race tracks, what years, people and car who raced him, what times he ran etc. I also will be posting pictures of the cars set-up as I find things. Anyway Hello SDC members I'm Bob from Niagara Falls NY.
                Last edited by the maggot; 12-01-2012, 01:30 PM.

Comment

WOW ! ! !

("the message is to short, please lengthen the message"... So I did now!)

Comment

Bob, Welcome to the forum, we will follow your project with great interest. You have come to the right place for sure.

Pat
                    Pat Dilling
                    Olivehurst, CA
                    Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Hey all you dragracing fans. Last week I had the honor and privilege to meet and talk with the Legendary "Big Daddy" Don Garlits. I have never been big into drag racing, but have always watched from afar,and admired the men(and Ladies) who climb into those power monsters and blast down the strip. And have done it myself a time or two. But, I'm mostly a spectator.

It was awesome to shake hands and talk with a man I'v only heard about since I was a kid.
                      Neil Thornton

Comment

Hi, Bob, and welcome to the SDC World. What a cool car you have. Congratulations.

Ted Harbit (Chicken Hawk) checks in here all the time, so I'll call this topic to his attention that you two can touch bases. Ted has a good deal of respect for Peter and The Maggot, and will be anxious to fill you in. BP
                        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                          Hi, Bob, and welcome to the SDC World. What a cool car you have. Congratulations.

Ted Harbit (Chicken Hawk) checks in here all the time, so I'll call this topic to his attention that you two can touch bases. Ted has a good deal of respect for Peter and The Maggot, and will be anxious to fill you in. BP
                          Thanks for cluing me in on this post Bob. And yes, Bob N. I know Peter and the "Maggot". Back in the early 1960's Peter and I exchanged letters (I remember sending them to Clarence, NY) since we both ran the same class and both ran 232 Studes. Peter is a very special individual and when I tell you this story, you will have to agree.

In the mid '60's, Peter towed the Maggot from New York to Indy for the US Nationals. I don't recall the exact year but we were paired in what I think was the trophy run against each other. We had a very good race and when we crossed the finish line Peter's win light came on. I felt sure the Chicken Hawk crossed the line first but wasn't going to say anything since it was close.

When we got back to the pits Peter come over and asked what happened. I didn't know what he meant, then he said, "You crossed the line first but my win light came on". I said I didn't know what happened but it was a close race. Peter said let's go to the tower. When we got there Peter told them his win light came on but he had lost and that a paper or something must have blown in front of his light to trip it.

They checked the et and speeds and the Chicken Hawk did do slightly better but they said that didn't prove who crossed first but if he was sure he lost they would declare us the winner. At that time they did not have the reaction times.

Now how many people do you think would tow all the way from New York to Indy and go to the trouble to be sure the right car got the win? I'll never forget that. I considered Peter a good friend but that was something that really stood out in my memories of Peter.

A couple years later I went to Englishtown, NJ for the Springnational Meet and Peter was there but he was having some trouble of some kind with the Maggot. If I remember correctly, I think it was something to do with the valves and his car was not running nearly as good as it should. I really felt sorry for him as he worked hard on the car and to have it run so good normally and at this meet it just wasn't doing well at all.

I'm really sorry to hear Peter is not in good health. Golden years aren't always that "Golden".

I really don't know much about the car as I only saw it those two times, once at the Nationals in Indy and the other time at the Springnationals in NJ and being close to 50 years ago I just don't recall much. I have trouble remembering last year, let alone 50 years but I'll try to answer any questions you might have. I'm sure the Maggot and the Chicken Hawk were probably set up very similar.

I do know you have a real piece of history there and I'm glad it is still in such good shape.

Ted

Comment

Great story and a great looking car!

Special thanks to Ted too! The story about him making sure you got credit for the win is a great story and does not surprise me. People who are truly great competitors like he and you only want what they earned. To take what he knew you earned would never have sat with him. Though you did not say so I am sure you would have done the same thing if it were reversed!

(BTW, Ted, I bought a big brake setup from you at the studey flea market about fifteen years ago. I never installed it on my 53 coupe but sold it last year to a fellow on this forum from Canada).
                            Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Hi Ted thanks for responding. I do know the story well of "the race". As I understand it you were/are the guy who can get the most out of the 232 studes and Pete did what he went there for and was very happy with the outcome. Do you remember the year of the race or your time & speed? Where you running a 3 speed manual? It is a great honor to be the caretaker of The Maggot for the time being and now talking to you. I saw you in this months issue of Muscle Machines mag in the red lark I think its called The Stude tomato (love the name). Pete's last project he was working on was a 1960 Lark, it is unfinished but the motor was redone by pete as well as the body and is also in real good shape. I was told Pete sat in his back yard for 4 days tweeking the motor, spinning it over by hand watching the opening, closing and time of the motor as it rolled over. Maybe he was planning to "visit you again" what do you think! I knew little of the car when I bought it but have heard from many people who remember & even raced Pete and the Maggot. I will be posting more as I have time to play with it. I do not know how to post pictures on this site yet but I have posted some on the HAMB. I will keep the SDC informed.

Comment

Working...
                              X