A Pleasant Encounter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Pleasant Encounter

Weather was nice today, high in the high 40s, sunny. I had some errands in town so I took my '55 LC. At the second stop, (grocery) as I headed toward the store, an old gentleman stopped and looking over my shoulder asked "Do you have any more?" I looked to see where he was looking, and it was at my LC. I told him I had a '53 coupe at home, this was the driver. He told me he'd worked at Studebaker, in South Bend at one time. It came out that he'd assembled the front clip and put it on the conveyor at final assembly in '50 and '51. He'd always wanted a Studebaker but could never afford one. He said he was glad to see them still on the road. Made my day.

Probably made his too! That's why we need to keep them wheels rolling.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Yeah! Had my '64 wagon out for errands-had a 20's something young lady stop me & said what a cool car! Yes,in addition to IDYSD get them out before the alcohol/gas evaporates or ruins your fuel system!
      Rob in PA.

Comment

To: Tom B,----'55 Land Cruiser?...is it a '55 President model?

Comment

I understand that Studebaker called the 6H Y6 a President State Sedan. It just doesn't have the same feel as Land Cruiser. So...I keep calling mine an LC. My first Stude was a '50 LC, back in '55, painted about the same as this one. My car, My choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom B View Post
            My first Stude was a '50 LC, back in '55,
            Wasn't that a WONDERFUL highway sedan? Like driving your living room down the road.
            Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I had the same experience on Sunday morning. I drove my 64 Daytona to work Saturday night, and of course home on Sunday morning. I decided to stop at the convenience store for a cup of coffee. On my way back to the car an older man asked me if I owned the car very long. I told him about 2 or 3 years. As it turns out he worked at a Studebaker dealership in Elizabeth, NJ and he still likes Studebakers. I showed him the November issue of Turning Wheels and cut out the membership application for him and assured him he does not need to own a Studebaker just to join the club. I opened up the hood and started the engine up for him. I have flowmaster mufflers on it and that attracted another older guy to come over and talk to us, that man owns an older Corvette. 2 hours later, I told them both where I live(about 2 miles away from where they live) and said stop by anytime. These Studebakers sure are great conversation starters.

Comment

We had a similar experience on the way to South Bend for the National. Stopped for fuel and a bite to eat in Oklahoma. When I came out a guy was walking around the car and called me over, not knowing I owned it. He said, "Looky here, this is a really rare car, it's a Studebaker". I told him I knew about them, unlocked the door and looked back at him. His mouth was hanging open like he had seen Santa Clause. His jaw moved but no words came out. About then my wife showed up and he just pointed and shook his head. He finally let out a big sigh and said he'd had one as a kid and never forgot it. It made his day, perhaps his week. We told him we were on the way to a National Meet with many more Studes. He stood there and waved as we drove away. As we got on the interstate, he was still in the parking lot and when he saw us, he waved some more.
                sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
                1950 Champion Convertible
                1950 Champion 4Dr
                1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
                1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Working...
                X