Worn Ross TL sector shaft pins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: Worn Ross TL sector shaft pins

]Has anyone heard of or tried a product from Walck's 4WD which is supposed to take the slop out of a Ross TL steering box. I read an article about a Tight-Steer Sector Shaft Tensioner which is a spring loaded device that installs in place of the stock tensioning screw. The device has a spring loaded pin which keeps constant pressure on the sector shaft keeping it in constant contact with the worm gear without causing binding. The users claim it won't cure bad bearings, tie-rod ends or worn king pins but it will reduce the back and forth sawing of your steering wheel caused by worn sector shaft pins. Allegedly they have been using them for quite some time on Jeeps and they supposedly work really well. Evidently Jeeps had the same Ross steering boxes as Studebaker. My TL sector shaft pins are worn slightlly and I can't find a new replacement. I thought maybe someone else with this problem has heard about the Walck's Tensioner.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

I thought all that grinding and welding would take the temper out of the pins. I would have to send this to a machine shop because I don't have a welder or a press.

Comment

Well, understand, it's only a small spot weld with a MIG or stick welder; you aren't heating the whole piece red-hot. Main purpose of the weld is to ensure that the the repositioned pin doesn't turn in the lever hole. They ARE really tight, but can be driven out by a big hammer and a strong punch.

You could, in principle, continuous-weld the back of the pin to the lever, by allowing it too cool completely between short beads. But a single good spot will do the job. Even if the pin broke free, and began to rotate, the worst outcome would be that the steering box went back to its old loosey-goosey ways. The pin cannot fall out altogether, and leave with no steering at all.
        Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

A stude guy with no welder or press.......unheard of.
          If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
          64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
          61 V8 Tcab
          63 Tcab 20R powered
          55 Commander Wagon
          54 Champion Wagon
          46 Gibson Model A
          50 JD MC
          45 Agricat
          67 Triumph T100
          66 Bultaco Matadore

Comment

Yet like the Yeti, Lock Ness Monster, and conscientious politicians we do exist. I don't have either and wish I did. I keep thinking I will take a welding class at the local JVS but there is never time. It has forced me to get really creative to fix things sometimes. I do have a really big hammer and I am not afraid to use it.

Nathan

Comment

i'm thinking of buying a Harbor Freight 90 AMP welder. I know they are cheap but how bad can they really be. I'm not going to weld anything heavy duty or structural. Just some body panel and spot welding. Then all I really need is a press. It would probably be less expensive than to send the work out.

Comment

in a pinch a vise can be used as a press.......

Comment

Good thinking. I never thought of that. I guess I'm getting old. Thanks

Comment

Most of us are not as brutal on our steering as the Jeep off-road 4-wheelers. However, the Walck shaft tensioner might be a fairly cheap thing to try if the available adjustment doesn't help enough - but do that first. I had this sudden "brain fart" that the Jeep sector arm was going to drop into an M5 box, so I called Walck's earlier this year and asked them to measure their replacement sector arm. The shaft length wasn't the same, but only slightly different. The Jeep gaskets, bushings, cups, and bearing balls do fit, though, and they are cheap and available.

Grinding the pin welds and turning the pins 90 degrees is really pretty simple and works just fine.

Here's an M5 box:
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	m5_steering_box_parts_ross.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	1676139
                    Gary Ash
                    Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
                    ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
                    '48 M5
                    '65 Wagonaire Commander
                    '63 Wagonaire Standard
                    web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

If Jeeps used these steering boxes, wouldn't their parts suppliers stock them? Restoration parts shops perhaps???
                      John Clements
                      Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Working...
                      X