Front brake Q's - 1952 Champion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front brake Q's - 1952 Champion

Well, I'm knee-deep in reconditioning my front brakes on my '52 Champion. But I'm running into a few problems...

One of my front drums is severely worn and even appears warped. Looking around in catalogues, I can't seem to find any drums, or drum/hub assemblies for my car. Are they repopped, or are NOS available?

Can I press out my original hub, or is it integral to the drum?

I know that I can swap the front backing plates and drums (and all the internals) from a Commander, and am willing to do this if I can find a set of fronts for the right money. But then the same question applies for the hubs. Will I need Commander hubs, or are Commander and Champion Hubs interchangable?

Any help would be very much appreciated.
    Last edited by RainierHooker; 11-27-2012, 10:55 AM. Reason: Spelling

I have commander fronts with good shoes.
    What is a good price for you. I'm in Murrieta Ca.

P.M. would be better.
    Thanks

Dean.

Comment

Thanks for the response, you have a PM in your box...

Comment

Your Champion will stop MUCH better with Commander brakes. Mine does.
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Would the post-'53 brakes fit on the 1952 models? They would make it stop even better than brakes off a '52 Commander.

My Uncle's '52 Commander hardtop had plenty of get-up-and-go but not a lot on the slowing down end. My dad said there were a number of times he had to move over to the shoulder/passing lane to keep from running someone over...

Comment

Originally posted by 62champ View Post
            Would the post-'53 brakes fit on the 1952 models? They would make it stop even better than brakes off a '52 Commander.
            Yes, they would bolt right on.
            Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I have a good set of '51Commander drums/shoes, cheap if you come to Yakima and get them! I took the self adjusters off and replaced with the appropriate sized washer so both shoes are manual adjust.
              Bruce 509-307-6711

Comment

I also have a complete set from a '51 Commander; includes backing plates, drums, cylinders, shoes, adjusters, bearings; all four corners. Too heavy to make worth shipping but, maybe someone would like me to bring them to York.
                Brad Johnson,
                SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
                X