Rust holes repaired the right way.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rust holes repaired the right way.

A few months ago I picked up a 64 Daytona hardtop and some one in the past had installed a vinyl roof cover and over the years it got moisture under it, when I removed it I found a number of rust out holes at each corner and even above the front and rear windows. to make repairs we needed to remove the windshield and rear window, here are a few pictures of the finish product the work was done by my body man that does all my sheet metal work rust is always cut out and new welded in and worked out to a finished primed work of art he will be doing pieces that I will and can bring to South Bend in May if I come, but since my ad in TW has not drawn much response I might not be making the trip unless requests pick up.

Candbstudebakers
    Castro Valley,
    California

Not being picky but all I see is primer, the great cover of all body men.

Comment

Bob,

You are such a tease! You know this group loves pictures and while that car looks like it will be a sweet ride once again, you know a couple of keyboards are being ruined by drool from those wanting the see the before and in-between pics.

The light is kinda weak but I'm guessing that the original colour is Desert Rose?

Cheers,

Ken

Comment

Hi Bob, I have a near clone to this Bermuda Brown beauty, except mine has tan cloth inserts, Powershift tranny, factory air conditioning and lots of rust! Is this a running and driving car? If not, my car is ready to give it a mechanical transplant.
        sigpic
        In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Originally posted by prez55 View Post
          I also agree on the primer, also why put primer where its not prepped for it with the overspray of unmasked joining panels? Any before pics and in progress ones?
          Tom
          sigpic

Comment

To: COMMANDERPINK1,---The primer on the adjoining panels really only indicates that this vehicle is destined for a complete refinish....all that overspray will be sanded off.

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
              To: COMMANDERPINK1,---The primer on the adjoining panels really only indicates that this vehicle is destined for a complete refinish....all that overspray will be sanded off.
              I totally understand that but why go thru all the additional work of removing it?
              Tom
              sigpic

Comment

I'm presently in the process of the stripping and parting 2 '64 Datona HTs, both roofs are still in excellent condition so will be salvaged and stashed. I had another but unfortunately had to scrap it due to moving.
                I've dissassembled 3 '64 HTs over the last decade and have never sold anything, so I have a lot of '64 spares, plus the NOS and the best used items available (some now made out of 'unobtainium') gathered over decades of attending the SB Spring Meet and shopping at SASCO.

I need to hang onto enough to finish my '64, but really don't wish to leave this barn full of rare '64 Daytona parts for my family to have to dispose of for pennies a pound as scrap metal if or when I croak. Need to free up the space to work in too.
                Don't care to screw around on e-bay just selling off the cream, and there would still be way too much left and wasted.

Comment

Originally posted by Jessie J. View Post
                  I'm presently in the process of the stripping and parting 2 '64 Datona HTs, both roofs are still in excellent condition so will be salvaged and stashed. I had another but unfortunately had to scrap it due to moving.
                  I've dissassembled 3 '64 HTs over the last decade and have never sold anything, so I have a lot of '64 spares, plus the NOS and the best used items available (some now made out of 'unobtainium') gathered over decades of attending the SB Spring Meet and shopping at SASCO.

I need to hang onto enough to finish my '64, but really don't wish to leave this barn full of rare '64 Daytona parts for my family to have to dispose of for pennies a pound as scrap metal if or when I croak. Need to free up the space to work in too.
                  Don't care to screw around on e-bay just selling off the cream, and there would still be way too much left and wasted.
                  Perhaps you could bring the items to the coming year's spring swap meet in South Bend?
                  sigpic
                  In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

While you are on the subject of rust repair.
                    Hey Jessie if you want to PM me with your cell number I will give you a call on what you might have to sell, I have a hardtop to do after this one and I might need some parts.
                    Brian Greenall
                    Melbourne, OZ
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by prez55 View Post

Call it what you want but even out here in California if you don't cover the repair area it will start to rust, as for pictures before I have some here somewhere, as for pictures taken while work being done hard to do as he is retired and works when he feels like it so I am not over there while work is going on, don't have to as I know his work he has been doing it all his work life and he is 68 now.
                      Candbstudebakers
                      Castro Valley,
                      California

Comment

The color is brown as is the interior car need full restore, it it had not been a Daytona we might have just parted it out for the goodies and not spent the time or money fixing the roof, here are a few more pictures of the car.

a couple of shots from the inside of the patch repair.
                        Candbstudebakers
                        Castro Valley,
                        California

Comment

Brian
                          What did the floor come out of ?
                          Bob
                          Looks like you started with a good floor. Was the rust only on thr roof ?
                          Klif
                          55 Speedster/Street Machine
                          63 Avanti R2
                          64 Convertible R1

Comment

Originally posted by klifton1 View Post
                            Brian
                            What did the floor come out of ?
                            Bob
                            Looks like you started with a good floor. Was the rust only on thr roof ?
                            Klif
                            Klif, I unpicked it out of an aussie 4 dr, I still have to weld up the extra holes that come with an auzzie car, like the one through the floor for the master cylinder. I could do the 63 R2 like this Klif but I am afraid she is too far gone, I did locate a hardtop body shell in PA but I have to justify a 4k freight bill plus buying it.
                            Rgs,
                            Brian
                            Brian Greenall
                            Melbourne, OZ
                            sigpic

Comment

Just a sample of tracking I do on projects going through my garage. This was also a Calif car and it also had the normal rust in the front floorpans I would imagine because of the rock hard door seals and cracked windshield rubber. Thanks for the pics Bob.
                              Tom
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X