Hawk brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: Hawk brakes

Are there any Hawk V-8 brakes available, without the core having to be sent in advance? I don't mind, and have purchased a lot from our vendors, but the guy who is doing the brakes does not want to tie up his lift while we send in the brakes in advance. Any way around all of this?

Pay the core and it will be refunded when you send the old shoes back.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Too bad you're so far away. I've got a complete new '56 Hawk brake setup; turned drums, new shoes, backing plates, wheel cylinders. Just costs a bunch to crate and ship that much arn.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

Yo, Bruce, it is not the idea of paying in advance, I do not mind it one least little bit. But my understanding after checking with SI, and Chuck Collins, is that these are deemed to be "critical cores", and they will not ship the parts untill the cores are received. So, I will figure it out.

Comment

A town the size of Dallas should have a brake shop capable of relining your shoes and probably give you same day service. We have a shop like that here in Omaha anyway.
          Frank van Doorn
          Omaha, Ne.
          1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
          1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
          1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

If you have them relined locally, make sure they remember this is a 4-wheel drum brake car. Tell them you want the softer linings. A lot of the lining material today is for the rears drums of front disc brake cars and is sometimes too hard for older cars without power brakes. That's why we often get questions here about why the drum brake cars won't stop.

jack vines
            PackardV8

Comment

Good point.

Comment

Are you after 10 or 11 inch?

Comment

Both, fronts, and rears.

Comment

I should have a couple sets of the front shoes usable as cores. I'll have to check. You may be able to get the 10" from auto zone or advance. Both sell some shoes for certain hawks.

Comment

Will 10" work on a V8 car, I thought that they were 11" on the fronts? One thing I don't want to do is reduce the stopping power. It has manual brakes.

Comment

You might check NAPA. I bought 10 inch there with next day delivery. It seems like the price was $18. I would think they also have 11 inch.

Comment

I agree to check with a NAPA store. They will most likely have to order them in, but they should still be in their system and available. B.V.

Comment

The 10" rears have been an active available part number, they interchange with certain Chrysler products. The 11" fronts are the other story, not an active available part number. Save any cores you have of the 11" shoes. They can be custom relined if you have a capable brake shop in your area.

Comment

Working...
                            X