• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Many cars and old engines found in Studebaker building

Many more pics. and the story here:

Looks like turbo-diesel truck engines?

Comment

A buddy of mine stores his Studebaker up on the top floor of that building every winter....cheap storage , he will miss it when its done.
      sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Those are the same engines that started out in the Foundry. A few years back they moved most of them.
        Chris Dresbach

Comment

The captions say that they are diesel truck engines being stored there.
          Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
          Kenmore, Washington
          hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
          '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
          '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
          '69 Pontiac Firebird
          (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Comment

What turbo diesel truck engines are those?
            Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Originally posted by t walgamuth View Post
              What turbo diesel truck engines are those?
              They are used LDT-465-1D Multi-Fuel, Turbo charged engines from M35A2 series Military Trucks. Those engines were originally installed by AM General in the former Studebaker Plant on Chippewa Ave. A few decades later those same trucks were brought back to that same Plant and engines replaced with 3116 Caterpillar Diesels.

Comment

These are great pics of the Assembly Building, some of which I have never seen at least not in it's current use.

You can save a whole lot of time searching for the Stude. stuff in all that Union Station stuff, if you just start at Pic #18 through 28.

I can't believe that someone actually spent the money to move dozens of those duel fuel turbo Diesel Engines from the foundry to the top floor of the Body Plant. Wouldn't it be more profitable to advertize them to sell some if they are useable or if not, the price of scrap iron is up so they could be parted out and scrapped?

UPDATE: Chris explained that they also were moved from the Chippewa Plant!
                OK, NOW I get it: WE PAID FOR ALL OF THAT, the U.S. Government probably took care of everything!
                Last edited by StudeRich; 11-25-2012, 08:34 PM.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I suppose they are too large to use in a coupe express.

Originally posted by Welcome View Post
                  They are used LDT-465-1D Multi-Fuel, Turbo charged engines from M35A2 series Military Trucks. Those engines were originally installed by AM General in the former Studebaker Plant on Chippewa Ave. A few decades later those same trucks were brought back to that same Plant and engines replaced with 3116 Caterpillar Diesels.

Comment

Originally posted by t walgamuth View Post
                    Way too large. Those are some serious truck engines. As Jim stated earlier, they were removed from M35-A2 Deuce and a Half military truck by AM General in favor of Cat Diesel engines which made the trucks "M35-A3"s for Desert Storm. It all makes sense now. I have long wondered what AMG did with the retired engines. Before I had always thought they they were either leftovers from Cummins when they used the Foundry or leftovers from Studebaker when they made the M34-A1-2 trucks.
                    Chris Dresbach

Comment

This is the rebuilt version, the M35-A3, but basically what those engines fit.
                      Chris Dresbach

Comment

Yipes!

Those are serous trucks!

Comment

No problem. The engine only weighs 1800#, is about four feet long and four feet high.

jack vines
                          PackardV8

Comment

What are the wedges on the wheels?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach View Post

This is the rebuilt version, the M35-A3, but basically what those engines fit.
                              EVERYTHING"Government Property."

Comment

Working...
                              X