62 Stude in Tuesday, Nov 19 Car Talk column

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 62 Stude in Tuesday, Nov 19 Car Talk column

Tom and Ray answered a question from 14 year old Zach about taking a trip with dad and younger brother in a '62 Hawk. Dad wants to take a trip next summer on part of Route 66 from Chicago to somewhere in Missouri. Link below

Tom and Ray answered the question in their usual fashion. Citing the improvements and modifications done to the car, as well as the sense of adventure that such an endeavor would entail, they wholeheartedly endorsed the idea. They also advised bringing a credit card for tow trucks, a GPS phone to locate repair shops, and money for bus tickets.

I am the dad. It was a nice surprise.

sigpic 62 Hawk - Wisconsin barn find

I read it. I was also pleased with their response. I hope you make the trip and write a story for Turning Wheels about it.
    Jon Stalnaker
    Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Absolutely. A Turning Wheels story is mandatory! BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Thanks - we are planning on it.
        Just learned about it tonight when a Blackhawk member called and told me about it.

I wrote an article about driving them to the first day of school for the September 2011 Turning Wheels. Got a package after the South Bend Meet with a gracious letter and a plaque - it was chosen by the editors as the best article for 2011.

As a coincidence, I picked up the 14yo from practice today in the Hawk - and taught him how to drive a stick in the high school parking lot. I think learning to drive a stick in the Hawk and finding out your letter about the car was in a nationally syndicated column on the same day probably means that he will have a Stude some day.

Comment

Article made our local paper Thursday (Thanksgiving). I know they poo-poo older cars in general, considering they have owned a variety themselves. Ray was particularly fond of his Dodge Dart convertible. I thought the next best piece of advice would be to carry the
          SDC Roster or, at the very least, the Glove Box Guide to Studebaker friendly service providers; both available from the SDC Store. Sounds like an adventure worth memory. Have you read "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" ?
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Santa

Sounds like a wonderful experience and trip. Let me suggest throwing in a membership roster from the SDC. You never know when some local or brand specific knowledge will be helpful. I'll bet there are a lot of us on the route.

I look forward to the article.

Oops!! looks like Brad was a little quicker on the trigger.

Bob

Comment

I read Zen and the Art of Motorcylcle Maintenance back in the early eighties when I was planning a motorcycle trip out west with my seven-year-old son (at that time). We ended up making the trip, but not on a motorcyle. His , now stepmother, and my presen t wife made the trip with us, and we've been together ever since. I'm getting three-point seat belts installed in the 41 Studebaker so the grandkids can ride on trips with us.

Comment

Sounds like a great adventure! I suggest a AAA card with extra tow mileage for piece of mind. We just took a long road trip in our '53 and though we did not need the AAA card it sure was nice to know it was there. We did need a credit card for some repairs though.

Pat
                Pat Dilling
                Olivehurst, CA
                Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Article appeared in Kansas City Star today, Sat. Nov 24. Great to get more exposure for Studes but I didn't like their assumption that it was definitely break down in some Illinois cornfield. I understand what they were trying to show about preparedness...... but..... come on, Studebakers don't automatically break down !!
                  \'57 3E6-12 Transtar Deluxe
                  \'64 Daytona HT

Comment

Originally posted by snowy_buffalo View Post
                    Article appeared in Kansas City Star today, Sat. Nov 24. Great to get more exposure for Studes but I didn't like their assumption that it was definitely break down in some Illinois cornfield. I understand what they were trying to show about preparedness...... but..... come on, Studebakers don't automatically break down !!
                    The article appeared in the Greenville News today. I read it with mixed feelings. Although I like the two guys...they can come off as "toads" sometimes with what seems (to me) to be less than adequate solutions and answers. Sometimes, I wonder if these fella's are a bit too far removed from their days of dirty fingernails and greasy hands.

For us Studebaker folks...this could be an excellent opportunity to overwhelm their website with responses to their advice by letting them know how many of us there are and what our potential is to support "Santa" and his family by communicating, following, tracking, and welcoming them along the way as they make their journey. I only ask that if you take the time to e-mail them ( www.cartalk.com ), do it in a respectful and non-confrontational manner. With the declining numbers in newspaper subscriptions...they might be just as surprised and grateful for the response as we were to see "Studebaker" mentioned in their column!

Pat Dilling's journey to South Bend and back home was an excellent example.

Brian, I wish you and your tribe all the best and look forward to the adventure.
                    John Clary
                    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by santa View Post
                      Tom and Ray answered a question from 14 year old Zach about taking a trip with dad and younger brother in a '62 Hawk. Dad wants to take a trip next summer on part of Route 66 from Chicago to somewhere in Missouri. Link below

Tom and Ray answered the question in their usual fashion. Citing the improvements and modifications done to the car, as well as the sense of adventure that such an endeavor would entail, they wholeheartedly endorsed the idea. They also advised bringing a credit card for tow trucks, a GPS phone to locate repair shops, and money for bus tickets.

I am the dad. It was a nice surprise.

http://www.cartalk.com/content/today...down-stop-trip
                      Absolutely go for it. For one, with some decent preparation your likelihood of suffering breakdowns isn't that great. Just carry a few more unique spares like a fuel pump and a water pump and some basic tools. And, if you do run in to trouble you would be surprised how many Studebaker folks are out there ready to help. If you can spare more time, extend the trip at least part way through Oklahoma. Oklahoma has done a great job of supporting Old Route 66 activities and things to see. In 2003 seven couples from the Potomac Chapter met in Virginia and drove to St Louis to pick up Route 66. From there we drove all the way to the end of the Santa Monica pier and back (6,000 miles) in Studebakers ranging from a 1954 1/2-ton pickup to a 1964 Avanti. Everyone experienced one or more minor problems, but nothing that delayed the trip more than an hour or two. The 1954 truck (3E-5) with a stock 170 cid engine and overdrive had the fewest problems- a failed stoplight switch. I was the high scorer in breakdowns in the '64 Avanti due to getting the car out of the shop Friday night before leaving Sunday morning and a bunch of things that should have done didn't get done (old transmission cooler lines, old plug wires, loose pinion nut, etc). See http://www.studebaker-info.org/Route66/tripticket.html to read the travel record.
                      Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                      '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Dont be too hard on the CarTalk guys. I thought Tom and Ray were right in their advice to a 14 yo - be prepared and Absolutely Do The Trip.

All he knows at this young age are late model cars - with the occasional foray with the Hawk. The new cars rarely break and require little of the maintenance that an old car requires. It is, after all, a 50 yo car that sat in a barn for 30+ years. Preparedness is crucial. If the past 2.5 years are any indication, we will be stopped a the side of the road somewhere. So what. We will fix it and continue - or a flatbed will bring it home. Again, so what. The car is only a part of the adventure.

This car is linked to my sons because it was purchased as a hobby during my chemo. Its loud, its smelly, kinda mean looking and it leaks - and its old school cool. This car is tied to their dad surviving and this trip will be part of that continuing adventure. They want to do the trip and Tom and Ray agreed wholeheartedly. Theyre car guys - they understand the lure of the Mother Road.

If any of you who saw the column in your local paper could scan and email it (claussbrian@yahoo.com) - or mail me the page, I know our sons would appreciate it. Im off the the public library to find Tuesday's Sun Times.

Comment

Santa,
                          I read the article earlier this week when it came out in the Southtown Star. I would be very proud if my 14 year old son had written the Car Guys for advice. You must have got him bitten with the car bug as well as yourself. Living in the South Suburbs, I've driven my Avanti from Joliet to Pontiac a couple of times this year. Pontiac would be a good destination trip for you to try the GT out on a road trip. Pontiac has several 66 theme related museums and would make a nice weekend trip. The "Wall Dogs" have also painted some great murals around town and there is a nice Route 66 sign mural on the back of the museum for a great photo op for your car. Good luck with the trip planning. BTW the Upper Mississippi Valley SDC 2013 Zone Meet is in the St Louis area August 23 - 25. Some Blackhawk and Chicagoland Avanti members are thinking about doing a Route 66 trip down to the meet.
                          sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

Hey, if So Cal Norton Owner's Club can get 37 vintage Norton motorcycles to cross from St. Louis (last Sept.) to LA with only a couple of minor repairs, you should have no problems. Okay, the 3 year old Honda that followed along had catastrophic failure but none of the old crocks failed. Now these guys are very aggresive about networking their knowledge and skills so the bikes were well preped and there was a chase truck with a couple of spare bikes as well as parts. The parts bikes retained their engines and transmissions, one did give up a gas tank to replace one damaged in a knockover incident.

I have found the better I am prepared, the less I need the items taken but when you leave 1 item behind, it will be THE ONE item you need.

It sounds like you have a great game plan. My fondest memories growing up are of the car trips taken as well as the bike and car trips as an adult. Unfortunately my bride doesn't see it the same way.

You and the boys will really have a great time, have fun and keep your witts about you!

Cheers,

Ken

Comment

Thanks guys - seems like Zach struck a chord!
                              We have a number of offers to do this as a group event.
                              Seems like this would be a good parent-child bonding adventure.

We are coming up with a list of winter/spring projects to get it ready for the trip.
                              I'm probably going to post on the Tech page to get a list of work I should do beyond the usual.

Comment

Working...
                              X