• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo / Tach / Gauges: 1956-58 sedan Speedometer problems

Dick
    Mountain Home, AR
    http://www.livingintheozarks.com/studebaker2.htm

It's going to be an under the dash deal. Popping off did not become popular until dashboards became made out of plastic.

If memory serves, you need a 1/4 nut driver and there are four screws along the inside edge (where it attaches to the dash) of the speedometer. The good news is that it's a standard, old speedometer design, just like the regular kind used on other years. It's just tipped on its side. And since it's tipped on its side, the oil hole in the housing where the cable enters is always empty.

So you take the speedometer casing off the dash, lay it on its face on your workbench, oil the hole, let it soak in and oil it again, and you are all set.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Roy,

I guess I already saw that coming. It’s getting tougher and tougher for this old man to work under a dash, especially a Champ. I hope you’re right about the oil deal.
      This should be interesting, getting it off will probably be the easy part, we’ll see.
      Thanks,
      Dick

Dick
      Mountain Home, AR

Comment

On the '56 to '60 sedan and Lark type dashes, and of course '60 - '64 Champ pickups - it is fairly easy to remove the glove box liner. It being center mounted gives you another access route to under dash projects.

Comment

O.K., got’r done Roy! I did the oil thing with “3 in One”. As for the cable and housing I used “Liquid Wrench” Chain Lube. It’s used on throttle cables so it seemed a good choice. Oh yah Jerry, the glove box deal was also some help, at least I could see what I was doing.
          Everything is copacetic! No wobble, no bounce, steady, steady and it’s only 5 m.p.h. slow according to my Droid App. I.E 45 = 50, 50=55 etc. It has a GM 350 Turbo auto trans and I’m not going to change the gear at the trans, I can live with it.

Help here is always only a post away. Thanks guys for your help.

Dick

Dick
          Mountain Home, AR

Comment

Sometimes fretting about it is worse than actually doing it.
            Last edited by RadioRoy; 11-24-2012, 05:30 PM.
            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Beofre you pull the gauge,did you look at the driven gear,inside the tranny? I thought I had a bad speedo or bad cable[[speedo needle bouncing sometimes alot sometimes not so much]-it turned out that the driven gear was wearing away.Probably catching and loosing contact with the drive gear, I had the cable off for lube twice,before I finally noticed that the teeth on the driven gear were worn away. And,I couldn't really tell how much of the teeth were gone,till I compared it with the new one.
              Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Working...
              X