PDA

View Full Version : Studebaker's 1956 Pyramid Design

BobPalma
11-22-2012, 09:06 AM
Andy Reed posed a question RE: Studebaker's 1956 Pyramid Design in Post #18 of Bill Pressler's Happy Thanksgiving thread. Subsequent posts dealt with it a little bit:

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?67060-Happy-Thanksgiving

Note the showroom window advertisement in Bill's OP, too.

Quite frankly, I hadn't remembered anything about it...which is probably so much the better, given how nebulose and lame it appears to have been! :confused: ;)

Nonetheless, I pursued it a bit more and came up with this reference as well. So it appears the campaign was used throughout the 1956 model year:

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss155/BobPalma/5620000studeinsurance.jpg

8E45E
11-22-2012, 09:15 AM
No doubt a response to Ford's 'Lifeguard Design' advertising for that same year.

Craig

BobPalma
11-22-2012, 09:36 AM
No doubt a response to Ford's 'Lifeguard Design' advertising for that same year. Craig

Good point, Craig. Ford made a Big Deal of that, but few people were interested in 1956. I mean, we were all invincible in the 1950s, right? :D

The most blatant follow-the-leader campaign I can remember from the 50s, though, was when Ford followed, not Studebaker.

Chevrolet made a big splash with Fuel Injection in 1957, so 1958 Ford advertising promoted the new FE-block engines having intake manifolds designed to provide Precision Fuel Induction. :woot: Hilarious. BP

BobPalma
11-22-2012, 10:15 AM
Here's part of another advertisement in which Pyramid Design is referenced.

('Sorry it is not the entire ad. I can only scan a document up to 8 1/2 X 11 and this is a full-newspaper-page ad!) :( BP

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss155/BobPalma/56studead2.jpg

starliner62
11-22-2012, 12:14 PM
so 1958 Ford advertising promoted the new FE-block engines having intake manifolds designed to provide Precision Fuel Induction. :woot: Hilarious. BP
[/QUOTE]

They should have added that you needed an engine hoist to change the intake manifold!!!:eek:

StudeRich
11-22-2012, 06:51 PM
I get a real kick out of the Insurance Policy Ad that says: "Extra Member, Bridge-Built Frame"! :lol:

Since we all know the Frame was probably the thinnest in the Industry. :ohmy: :(

It is a darned good thing that the body sheet metal was one of the THICKEST in the Industry. :!!:

8E45E
11-22-2012, 07:54 PM
GThe most blatant follow-the-leader campaign I can remember from the 50s, though, was when Ford followed, not Studebaker.

Chevrolet made a big splash with Fuel Injection in 1957, so 1958 Ford advertising promoted the new FE-block engines having intake manifolds designed to provide Precision Fuel Induction

Seems to me, I read Studebaker was experimenting with fuel injection for 1958. Bendix approached Chrysler, AMC and Sudebaker with their unit, and there was a DeSoto with it, and a Rambler Rebel or two. And I think there was an experimental Golden Hawk with it installed. Probably just as well Studebaker never used it as the Bendix fuel injection wasn't that great, either.

Craig