Studebaker's 1956 Pyramid Design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker's 1956 Pyramid Design

Andy Reed posed a question RE: Studebaker's 1956 Pyramid Design in Post #18 of Bill Pressler's Happy Thanksgiving thread. Subsequent posts dealt with it a little bit:

Note the showroom window advertisement in Bill's OP, too.

Quite frankly, I hadn't remembered anything about it...which is probably so much the better, given how nebulose and lame it appears to have been!

Nonetheless, I pursued it a bit more and came up with this reference as well. So it appears the campaign was used throughout the 1956 model year:

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

No doubt a response to Ford's 'Lifeguard Design' advertising for that same year.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
      No doubt a response to Ford's 'Lifeguard Design' advertising for that same year. Craig
      Good point, Craig. Ford made a Big Deal of that, but few people were interested in 1956. I mean, we were all invincible in the 1950s, right?

The most blatant follow-the-leader campaign I can remember from the 50s, though, was when Ford followed, not Studebaker.

Chevrolet made a big splash with Fuel Injection in 1957, so 1958 Ford advertising promoted the new FE-block engines having intake manifolds designed to provide Precision Fuel Induction. Hilarious. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Here's part of another advertisement in which Pyramid Design is referenced.

('Sorry it is not the entire ad. I can only scan a document up to 8 1/2 X 11 and this is a full-newspaper-page ad!) BP

Comment

so 1958 Ford advertising promoted the new FE-block engines having intake manifolds designed to provide Precision Fuel Induction. Hilarious. BP
          [/QUOTE]

They should have added that you needed an engine hoist to change the intake manifold!!!
          Jamie McLeod
          Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
          1958 Commander "Christine"
          1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
          1955 Commander Sedan
          1964 Champ
          1960 Lark

Comment

I get a real kick out of the Insurance Policy Ad that says: "Extra Member, Bridge-Built Frame"!

Since we all know the Frame was probably the thinnest in the Industry.

It is a darned good thing that the body sheet metal was one of the THICKEST in the Industry.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
              GThe most blatant follow-the-leader campaign I can remember from the 50s, though, was when Ford followed, not Studebaker.

Chevrolet made a big splash with Fuel Injection in 1957, so 1958 Ford advertising promoted the new FE-block engines having intake manifolds designed to provide Precision Fuel Induction
              Seems to me, I read Studebaker was experimenting with fuel injection for 1958. Bendix approached Chrysler, AMC and Sudebaker with their unit, and there was a DeSoto with it, and a Rambler Rebel or two. And I think there was an experimental Golden Hawk with it installed. Probably just as well Studebaker never used it as the Bendix fuel injection wasn't that great, either.

Craig

Comment

Working...
              X