Spark Plug Tester.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Spark Plug Tester.

I've been on the look out for quite a while for an old type garage spark plug cleaner/tester, but they are pretty light on the ground down here, so I'm going down the path of making my own tester. Have any of you guys done this ? I gather I'll just cobble together a battery + coil + condenser and a switch to represent the points? Any suggestions welcomed.
    Matt
    Brisbane
    Australia
    sigpic

Visit my Blog: http://www.mattsoilyrag.blogspot.com.au/

Spark plugs that fire under normal atmospheric pressure may still not fire under compression. The only sure way to test a plug is in a running engine.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

You could build a chamber with a plexiglas window that you would pressurize. Roy is correct though, only an engine would best simulate operating conditions. Sounds like a good reason to have engine on a bench...
      1948 M15A-20 Flatbed Truck Rescue
      See rescue progress here on this blog:
      http://studem15a-20.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by JohnM15 View Post
        You could build a chamber with a plexiglas window that you would pressurize. Roy is correct though, only an engine would best simulate operating conditions. Sounds like a good reason to have engine on a bench...
        I was thinking exactly that too ! But it wouldn't replicate the heat.. Maybe I'm getting too technical here, I just want to see if the plug arcs and is not a dud.
        Matt
        Brisbane
        Australia
        sigpic

Comment

And the next step is to add the correct fuel/air mixture.... BOOM! You could use different gases to simulate a more difficult environment to test insulation break down. What I have done in the past is to insert an insulator (thin piece of Delrin) to cause the spark to travel further (around the insulator or directly to the rim). I have had plugs that fired fine in a regular atmosphere but not fire under pressure. The increased pressure offered greater resistance and then it would arc through the insulator, a hair line crack that could only be seen at night.
          1948 M15A-20 Flatbed Truck Rescue
          See rescue progress here on this blog:
          http://studem15a-20.blogspot.com/

Comment

I remember cleaning plugs in a cleaner/tester years ago that one could pressurize. AC Brand maybe. I bet if one were to look hard enough one of those old AC plug cleaners could be found somewhere and shipped down to you Matt.
            Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
            Kenmore, Washington
            hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
            '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
            '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
            '69 Pontiac Firebird
            (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Comment

That would be a cool addition to a man cave!

I love old test equipment. I say go for it!

Last edited by RadioRoy; 11-19-2012, 10:53 PM.
              RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
              4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
              5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Check EBAY, the old plug tester, cleaners turn up regularly. The best way though is to use an engine analyzer as you can see the plugs in action on the scope. Bud

Comment

Cleaners use some sort of abrasive (sand!) to clean the plug.
                  This is a very BAD thing to do. Sharp edges let spark...spark MUCH better thAn rounded (sand blasted) edges.

As far as a tester......they don't cost "that" much...just go buy a fresh set..

As for just playing around...have fun.

Mike

Comment

Thanks guys. I've bought one off the net out of China for $35, it's only a tester, but I already have a sand blaster. @ Bud: I've seen numberous cleaner / testers on US Eaby, but the shipping would kill it. Mike: I've got 10 x 8 cylinder engined cars, and at around the $4.00 per plug down here it does get a little expensive to replace sets of plugs.
                    Matt
                    Brisbane
                    Australia
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X