66 Daytona, the first one

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 66 Daytona, the first one

Hi, new to the forum and fairly new to SDC, but not to Studebakers. I was born in South Bend, raised in Mishawaka and most of my relatives worked for Studebaker at one time or another. I drove a 62 Daytona 2 Dr Hardtop while in high school (graduated 1966) and took the car to Fort Bragg, NC when I joined the army. We moved out of the South Bend area in 1969 to Arizona, but visit relatives there often.
    Anyway, I have four 1950 Champions, 3 builders and a parts car. Four door sedan, Starlight Coupe and a convertible. Another Starlight Coupe is the parts car. I hope to get working on them soon.
    To have a driver for SDC events I located a 1966 Daytona 2 Dr Sports Sedan in Apache Junction, AZ owned by a Canadian that had brought it to drive when he visited for a month or so each year. With other projects going on, he decided to sell it. I bought it. It had an early vin#, C530006, sixth V8 car built, but I just wanted a nice driver.
    We took it on a SDC event to Tuscon and on a 3 day Route 66 Fun Run and then to South Bend for the National. Didn't have it judged but had it on display.
    While there we visited the museum and ordered the build sheet and had Andy check to see where this Daytona fit in with other Daytonas, production wise. Andy's report was that it was the first documented Daytona built for 1966. The build sheet showed that it was one of the 12 lost 1965 cars that became the first 66's.
    I contacted Stu Chapman (Studebaker of Canada Executive) with help from Bob Barricks (1966 Daytona Registry Chairman) and asked about any additional information that might be available. Mr. Chapman filled me in about the 12 lost cars and that some were built for the Canadian Expo and others as show cars for dealer promos. Mine was probably a dealer promo car, as the Expo cars were recorded as such. The car had a factory locking gas cap, something Mr. Chapman said all the show cars had to comply with fire codes at shows. The car also had a "one off" color that Studebaker was doing to get feedback from the public for production cars. I'm guessing that Maderia Red was not very popular because I don't see it as any production color and the car had been repainted burgandy later. The car also had the optional wire wheel covers, but they are missing. It had 1964-65 wheel covers when I bought it and I have since put standard 66 covers on it.
    If anyone has more info on these early 1966 cars, I'd sure like to know about it. Also, if you know of a set of 63-66 wire wheel covers or the correct locking gas cap available, I'm looking for them.
    Thanks in advance for any info and I hope to participate in the forums as I can.
    Last edited by thunderations; 11-19-2012, 12:20 PM.
    sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
    1950 Champion Convertible
    1950 Champion 4Dr
    1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
    1957 Thunderbird

Originally posted by thunderations View Post
    Hi, new to the forum and fairly new to SDC, but not to Studebakers. I was born in South Bend, raised in Mishawaka and most of my relatives worked for Studebaker at one time or another. I drove a 62 Datona 2 Dr Hardtop while in high school (graduated 1966) and took the car to Fort Bragg, NC when I joined the army. We moved out of the South Bend area in 1969 to Arizona, but visit relatives there often.
    Anyway, I have four 1950 Champions, 3 builders and a parts car. Four door sedan, Starlight Coupe and a convertible. Another Starlight Coupe is the parts car. I hope to get working on them soon.
    To have a driver for SDC events I located a 1966 Daytona 2 Dr Sports Sedan in Apache Junction, AZ owned by a Canadian that had brought it to drive when he visited for a month or so each year. With other projects going on, he decided to sell it. I bought it. It had an early vin#, C530006, sixth V8 car built, but I just wanted a nice driver.
    We took it on a SDC event to Tuscon and on a 3 day Route 66 Fun Run and then to South Bend for the National. Didn't have it judged but had it on display.
    While there we visited the museum and ordered the build sheet and had Andy check to see where this Daytona fit in with other Daytonas, production wise. Andy's report was that it was the first documented Daytona built for 1966. The build sheet showed that it was one of the 12 lost 1965 cars that became the first 66's.
    I contacted Stu Chapman (Studebaker of Canada Executive) with help from Bob Barricks (1966 Daytona Registry Chairman) and asked about any additional information that might be available. Mr. Chapman filled me in about the 12 lost cars and that some were built for the Canadian Expo and others as show cars for dealer promos. Mine was probably a dealer promo car, as the Expo cars were recorded as such. The car had a factory locking gas cap, something Mr. Chapman said all the show cars had to comply with fire codes at shows. The car also had a "one off" color that Studebaker was doing to get feedback from the public for production cars. I'm guessing that Maderia Red was not very popular because I don't see it as any production color and the car had been repainted burgandy later. The car also had the optional wire wheel covers, but they are missing. It had 1964-65 wheel covers when I bought it and I have since put standard 66 covers on it.
    If anyone has more info on these early 1966 cars, I'd sure like to know about it. Also, if you know of a set of 63-66 wire wheel covers or the correct locking gas cap available, I'm looking for them.
    Thanks in advance for any info and I hope to participate in the forums as I can.
    Good to hear from you! That car was sold new in Calgary, and I believe Ray kept the Protector Service booklet with your car which shows the selling dealer (Harry Forrester Ltd.) and it's original owner.

Craig

Comment

I do have the Protector Service booklet, but it has never been filled in as to dealer or owner. It does show that several services were done by Bert's Auto Service. Other then that everything is left blank.
      Thanks for the reply and I'll record the dealer information. I'm trying to create as much documentation as possible for this car and help, such as yours, is priceless, thanks again.

Ken
      1950 Champion 4Dr
      1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Welcome Ken , good to see you on the forum....you'll enjoy it.
        sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

A short while back, someone, maybe Mr. Quinn, posted a picture of '66 Studebakers at a car show exposition. I do not recall specifically what show, but I remember a red '66 Daytona with wire wheels on display. Could that particular Daytona be the car discussed here?

Best regards,

Bill Sapp (Mr. Bill)
          Hamlet, NC
          Last edited by Mr. Bill; 11-19-2012, 05:35 PM.

Comment

Oh man, you just missed these:

Scott Rodgers
            Los Angeles
            SDC Member since 1989
            \'60 Lark HT
            \'63 Wagonaire
            \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

Mr. Bill, That was the 1966 Chicago Auto Show, February 19-27, 1966 picture in Turning Wheels Feb, 2012 issue, page 37. I have wondered about this too. Everything I can see about the car pictured, fits the build sheet on my car, but without some sort of records/documentation, I can't say for certain. Stu Chapman states in that article that the cars at this show were arranged by Brooks Stevens and that Brooks got cars fron SASCO in South Bend and Canada was not working directly with Brooks. Mr. Chapman is directing that statement at the customised Wagonaire pictured also, not the Daytona. Anyone with any information, please HELP!!!!!
              Last edited by thunderations; 11-19-2012, 01:59 PM.
              1950 Champion 4Dr
              1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Scott, I saws those and had several E-mails with the seller. Those are not correct. The correct ones have fake knock-offs and the center cap is different. These look like the Ford or Chrysler outer ring,spokes and inner ring with a Studebaker hub cap under. Ford used this on Thunderbirds, 1955 & 56. Several other car companies had similiar options, but Studebaker was a little different. There is a thread on this forum about those covers VS the correct Studebaker ones. I still had my finger on the bid button last night, thinking about buying the wrong ones, just to have something, but just couldn't do it.
                Last edited by thunderations; 11-19-2012, 02:08 PM.
                1950 Champion 4Dr
                1957 Thunderbird

Comment

If those were the correct discs they would of gone for probably triple the bid.
                  sigpic

Comment

The optional wire wheel covers were used on Avanti also.
                    1950 Champion 4Dr
                    1957 Thunderbird

Comment

The odds of that Chicago car show car being Ken's car is probably very slim....wouldn't think a car went from Canada to the US than back to Canada....but hey who knows.
                      sigpic

Comment

The other way to look at it is, any 1966 Studebaker would have had to come from Canada to Chicago...... and there were dedicated show cars used only for that purpose. Please let me at least think that my car is "THAT" car.......lol
                        Last edited by thunderations; 11-19-2012, 02:58 PM.
                        1950 Champion 4Dr
                        1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Not if it was sold new in Canada
                          sigpic

Comment

I guess I don't understand. From what I have gathered, the cars, Studebaker called them "Special Cars", were used by Studebaker for Expos, and other promotional shows. After they were released from that, they were used by Studebaker executives or sent to dealers to be sold. I don't know if they were sold as new or not. I've got a lot to learn/research and that's why I'm asking questions. Thanks for any information you can provide
                            1950 Champion 4Dr
                            1957 Thunderbird

Comment

I wondered why those wire covers went as cheaply as they did...
                              Scott Rodgers
                              Los Angeles
                              SDC Member since 1989
                              \'60 Lark HT
                              \'63 Wagonaire
                              \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

Working...
                              X