steering wheel removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• steering wheel removal

How do I remove the steering wheel on my hawk withoput destroying the horn wire? If I put the end of the puller bolt in the colunm shaft it will crush the wire. Anyone done this correctly?

Studebakers forever!
    Studebakers forever!

Put a castle nut on the end of the shaft and run the wire through one of the slots in the nut. It also prevents damage to the end of the shaft.

Skip Lackie
    Washington DC
    Skip Lackie

Comment

You should have a 'bullet' type plug in connector on the end of the wire. Unlpug it from the switch plate. Push the wire in the hole 'just' a little bit so the puller doesn't smash it, but so you can grab it with a needle nosed plier. You might stuff a little chunk of foam rubber in there with it if you wink it will slide down the tube.
      Put your steering wheel nut on but leave about 1/4" tp 3/8" gap from the steering wheel plate. That way you won't bugger up the threads, or smash the thin end of the tubing.
      Hope the info helps.
      Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by studelover

How do I remove the steering wheel on my hawk withoput destroying the horn wire? If I put the end of the puller bolt in the colunm shaft it will crush the wire. Anyone done this correctly?

Studebakers forever!
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I did this just the way DEEPNHOCK said... I just had the
        steering wheel off my 58 Hawk and repainted it, replaced the center button with new; After removing the wheel, I pulled the horn
        wire out a bunch, then pushed it back in to just below the threads where I could still fish it out with needle nose pliers or my handy magnet. I also bought a separate nut to use under the puller rather than take a chance of messing up the original....

Comment

Did you repair and paint your own wheel? I really want to use my original wheel however it is separating from the ring. I have repaired them before however I want my wheel to look great not home made. I took the wheel off the parts car that I have and will repair that one, thanks for the info on removing the wheel without breaking the horn wire, when I remove the wheel from my project I don't want to hurt it.I have had the horn bar rechomed and new center with the hawk emblem inside, I would really like to use it. Maybe I will order the por-15 wheel repair kit.

Studebakers forever!
          Studebakers forever!

Comment

Yes I did the wheel myself; There were no cracks to fill so I was lucky in that regard,
            The toughest part was masking off the two-tone paint. I painted it with good quality
            flat (rattle can)paint, sanded it, then clear coat, followed by sanding/buffing.
            I have'nt re-done the horn bar yet, it was not in too bad shape. I'll get it rechromed sometime in the future. Good luck with your project.

Comment

I just bought a gray Lark wheel from SASCO and painted it epoxy black so I now have a NOS Hawk GT Hawk wheel.

JDP/Maryland
              64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
              64 GT R2
              63 GT R2
              63 Lark 2 door
              58 Starlight
              52 & 53 Starliner
              51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

Working...
              X