Jan. 2013 HCC: Studebaker scores Thrice in Top 100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jan. 2013 HCC: Studebaker scores Thrice in Top 100

'Just got the January 2013 Hemmings Classic Car in this morning's mail. It is the 100th issue of the magazine, so they highlighted what they feel are The Top 100 American Collector Cars of All Time.

Studebaker scored three times on their list: The 1937 Dictator Coupe, 1953 Starliner and 1963 Avanti. Woo-hoo! While we might think our marque worthy of other citations, I think that is doggone good: After all, 3% is a far greater percentage than Studebaker's overall passenger car market penetration during the entitety of domestic automobile production.

Also in this issue is a nice plug for Andy Beckman's new book; Studebaker's Last Dance: The Avanti.

Finally, there is a terrific article on a virtually all-original (seriously) 1923 Studebaker Light Six. The car is loaded with patina and a delight to read about. BP
    Last edited by BobPalma; 11-18-2012, 04:24 AM.
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Those are the two I guessed after reading the title.
    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Great article Bob, I received my copy last week, some interesting cars (Shark Nosed Graham) chosen.
      John Clements
      Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Bob---How did you miss the '37 coupe? Tom

Comment

Originally posted by tomlewis View Post
          Bob---How did you miss the '37 coupe? Tom
          Scanning too fast when the issue arrived, Tom! I saw it last evening when reading slower in bed and came down to correct the OP this morning. Thanks. We're up to 3% now! Woo-hoo! (Three thumbs total, you'll note!) BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I saw the coupe early because When I saw the Headline I went looking for it specifically. I KNEW the Avanti and Starliner would be included, and I HOPED the '37 coupe would be also. Of the 5 collector passenger cars I own, 3 are on this list. ('36 Cord, '63 Avanti, and '37 Coupe. (albeit mine's a President, I'll still count it) Tom

Comment

I wonder why , BP , you did not include the 1933 Pierce Arrow , surely worth

at least a half percentage point . From what I have read on these cars , there

was significant Studebaker involvement and they did own the Company !

CRUISER

Comment

Great issue, Bob. Mine arrived today.

Comment

Originally posted by cruiser View Post
                  I wonder why , BP , you did not include the 1933 Pierce Arrow , surely worth

at least a half percentage point . From what I have read on these cars , there

was significant Studebaker involvement and they did own the Company !

CRUISER
                  I suppose we might have, Bruce. Studebaker sold their Piece-Arrow interest in 1933, but I am not sure when. BP

Comment

BP ,
                    In March 1933 , Studebaker went into Receivership and the car line at

the South Bend factory was halted . During April 1933 , Studebaker sold the

Pierce Arrow concern for $1 million cash , which allowed them to resume

production . The Bodies for the six 1933 Pierce Silver Arrow showcars were

built in South Bend prior to Studebaker having a Cash problem . As we now

know , the 1934 Studebaker Line was heavily influenced by these showcars

and during the 1933 calender year , Studebaker was back into profitability .

CRUISER .

Comment

Originally posted by cruiser View Post
                      BP ,
                      In March 1933 , Studebaker went into Receivership and the car line at

the South Bend factory was halted . During April 1933 , Studebaker sold the

Pierce Arrow concern for $1 million cash , which allowed them to resume

production . The Bodies for the six 1933 Pierce Silver Arrow showcars were

built in South Bend prior to Studebaker having a Cash problem . As we now

know , the 1934 Studebaker Line was heavily influenced by these showcars

and during the 1933 calender year , Studebaker was back into profitability .

CRUISER .
                      Good, Bruce; thanks. You're right; Pierce-Arrow styling certainly influenced Studebakers of the era. BP

Comment

Glad to see Studebaker appear 3 times on a list of the 100 greatest of all time. I was a little disappointed with the Avanti picture. I have seen tons of Avanti pictures that show off it's beauty a lot better than that one. Assuming that there may be a few HCC readers that are not as familiar with the Avanti as are we, I would like to have seen a more representative photo to show what an amazingly beautiful car it really was and still is.
                        Jon Stalnaker
                        Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Hi

Interesting selections, some appropriate, many baffling! Suppose these picks were mostly subjective, but sure to fill their email box with objections to the choices. Though it's a waste of time, I'm even inclined to do so, I mean, every Chrysler 300-letter series year from 1957-61? Really!

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by 56H-Y6 View Post
                            Hi

Interesting selections, some appropriate, many baffling! Suppose these picks were mostly subjective, but sure to fill their email box with objections to the choices. Though it's a waste of time, I'm even inclined to do so, I mean, every Chrysler 300-letter series year from 1957-61? Really! Steve
                            Much as I also like those cars, Steve, I agree with you on their not needing to occupy all those slots in a Top 100 of all time. The original 1955 C-300, for sure, but beyond that..... BP

Comment

Or ALL the 54-58 Chevys....come on (or at least merge the 55-56, like they did with the T-Bird).

Biggest omission...no 69-70 high performance Mustang.
                              Cliche avoided: 77 "Smokey and the Bandit" Trans Am (but they did envoke "The Dukes of Hazzard" while discussing the Charger).

The photo of the Avanti wasn't that bad, it is interesting to see one with blackwealls, but the angle doesn't show the rear window so it looks like a notchback, but I'm sure most readers know what an Avanti really looks like.
                              And while we're discussing photos, the Mercer raceabout doesn't have headlights....not the best look (though perhaps typical of racers of the period...but they probably would have been sans fenders as well).
                              Last edited by JBOYLE; 11-22-2012, 11:16 AM.
                              63 Avanti R1 2788
                              1914 Stutz Bearcat
                              (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Working...
                              X