To all the nay sayers...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To all the nay sayers...

Who says an Champion 6 won't get up and move?

Professional driver, on a closed course.

Looks like maybe a '56 Flight Hawk or a C/K with a '56 Hawk Dash at least.

Are you ready to shift to 4th. yet?
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I had a 69 Pontiac that was stuck on 40 mph. No matter how fast or high slow it stayed on 40.

Comment

And I bet that car is not even out of second gear yet. That just proves what I have always said, a good running Stude flat six will run circles around a Stude V8.

Comment

How do we know this hasn't been photoshopped?
          "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
            Looks like maybe a '56 Flight Hawk or a C/K with a '56 Hawk Dash at least.

Are you ready to shift to 4th. yet?
            Yes Rich, it's the wife's Flight Hawk. And it really could have used another gear! I had maybe 1/4" of petal travel left, and was worried I would shift out of overdrive if I gave it any more!

Comment

I think that maybe someone needs to check their car out with a hand held GPS to get an accurate reading on how far out the speedo is !
              sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Yer' askin' for a bad ignition switch, fer sure....
                HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

No naysayer here! BTDTNA

Yes, indeed; the Flight Hawk or Silver Hawk 185" Champion six will show 96 on the speedo for a short stretch. Of course, my '56 Flight Hawk also had some typical Studebaker speedo error. Won the bet it wouldn't run 90 MPH, but lost money doing it. I confirmed with a stopwatch it was inching close to 92 MPH on the second flat-out mile just before the head gasket blew.

I traded the Flight Hawk for a '56 Power Hawk with the 259" which got the same MPG but would touch 115 MPH on the same road and not blow up in the process.

The best I ever saw there was in the '56 Golden Hawk floating along at 130 MPH.

Your results may vary.

Just a Stude lover been lettin' them out on lonesome roads for fifty-two years now.

jack vines
                  PackardV8

Comment

My dad had a -59 Lark VI station-wagon that used to be owned by a racing-happy dentist (who also raced his Avanti on the strip, a bit of a cult-car in Sweden today) & the Lark looked totally original even under the hood... you can do a lot with cam-shaft & porting & good rear-axle ratio...
                    Anyway, it was the 1:st car I went (more than) 200km/hour in, the usually looong curves on the highway in 160-180 suddenly became frighteningly short & sharp!
                    The speedo was graded till 200 but the car went faster.
                    Studebaker side-valve six power!
                    (says I who consider Studebaker V8-cars...)

Comment

wait till it gets a few more miles on then it should run a little better as it is showing 4500 miles still new engine

Comment

Originally posted by Nox View Post
                        My dad had a -59 Lark VI station-wagon that used to be owned by a racing-happy dentist (who also raced his Avanti on the strip, a bit of a cult-car in Sweden today) & the Lark looked totally original even under the hood... you can do a lot with cam-shaft & porting & good rear-axle ratio...
                        Anyway, it was the 1:st car I went (more than) 200km/hour in, the usually looong curves on the highway in 160-180 suddenly became frighteningly short & sharp!
                        The speedo was graded till 200 but the car went faster.
                        Studebaker side-valve six power!
                        (says I who consider Studebaker V8-cars...)
                        Yep, 124 MPH in a 6 cylinder Lark station wagon sounds about right, especially if it has been tweaked a little.

Comment

Comment

What incredible power Ozarkman. That motor is not only moving the car incredibly fast, but it is also moving all the vegetation outside the window at almost the same speed. Nothing like dragging the whole world with you.

Comment

I've told this story before, but I had a stock champion 6 in my coupe years ago. Had it running over 115 mph on a straight flat road.... I mean, a closed course with a professional driver, uh, yeah, that's right. Anyway, the only change I had made to the champ was to add a 4 bbl carb and a turbo. It was pumping `14 lbs of boost cuz I did not have a waste gate or pop off valve on it. It didn't have any "off the line" zip to it, but once it hit 1800 to 2000 rpms, it took off. I had to be careful cuz it felt like it still wanted to pull even over 4000 rpms. I had to watch the tach and the boost gage carefully so I wouldn't blow the engine. Turns out I did blow it up though. It was still running and I didn't know till the guy who bought the engine told me the number 5 and 6 pistons were partially melted. OOOOPS.
                              sals54

Comment

Working...
                              X