Studebaker Club Veterans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Club Veterans

Veterans Day 11-11-12 had a gathering with some Whatcom County Studebaker Club members.

After lunch and our club meeting, we thanked our club Vets and took a few pictures of them next to our WWII Weasel.
    http://www.photoshow.com/watch/nB6Ps8JP

Thank You Veterans!

The evening had a younger group arrive for a photo shoot, to be used for a pin-up calendar with Studebaker's.
    Exposure of old cars and young models make the cars look "Cool" to other potential young members.

James

Bells Studebaker Diner & Museum
    Bellingham, WA.

That's great! Thanks for sharing! And ..... your welcome.
    1936 Dictator
    1950 Champion Regal 4 dr parts car
    1953 Commander Regal HT
    1953 2R5 Pickup
    1947 M16 Truck
    1960 Lark VIII Convertible
    1960 Champ 5E7 step side short box
    1962 Champ 7E5 no box
    1962 GT Hawk
    1963 Lark VI 4 dr
    1963 GT Hawk R2
    1964 Daytona Convertible
    1964 Commander Wagonaire

“America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” ~ Abraham Lincoln​

Comment

Thanks James, nice to see Stude-Rich up and about.
      Candbstudebakers
      Castro Valley,
      California

Comment

'Looks like a great time, James; thanks for the cool video. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Thanks Bob Peterson (candbstudebakers) for your concern, I am feeling better than before the heart attack on March 26, I appreciate all of the support, thoughts and prayers of our Forum members.

I really like Stephanie Bell's slide show and had fun at our monthly SDC Chapter meeting that my Son Dave (Mr. President) was conducting and later the Calender photo shoot.

The 20 something young ladies posing with Studebakers are always a good thing for our
          "We invented COOL" recruiting campaign!
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I don't know if it' still with the unit, but in 1996 the Arkansas Nat'l Guard had a Studebaker 6X6 truck still being used as a medic truck for HHB 2/152 FA out of Ft. Smith.... Wonder if it's still there.... Anybody near Ft. Smith?

Comment

This is good info K but please, folks if there is more discussion about 6X6's, let's please respect James' post's theme and take it to a new post.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Stephanie's father was flown back to Washington DC for 6-8 November with the “Honor Veterans Flight” and had an incredible experience.
                Any Vets who have not had the opportunity to go and visit the memorials dedicated to honor veterans service and sacrifices should look into it.
                http://www.honorflight.org/about/It’s free of charge.

James
                Bells Studebaker Diner & Museum
                Bellingham, WA.

Comment

As one of the Vets in the photo- all I can say is thanks for thinking to take the time for that on 'our' day. I'm sure the others would say the same.

As for the 'other' photo shoot that took place that day~ it indeed was quite a fun time!!! The girls really dug being able to pose with the vehicles of their choice and the ones the photog wanted them with. Lots of cars and trucks were used for props~ as was a little baby's buggy. Each girl also posed with the 'We Invented Cool' poster. It was a tough job making sure there was enough light on the subject for each and every of the over 4,000 photos that were taken. But I stuck it out.

Originally posted by Bellingham Studenut View Post
                  Any Vets who have not had the opportunity to go and visit the memorials dedicated to honor veterans service and sacrifices should look into it.

http://www.honorflight.org/about/

It's good to hear that Bob got a chance to make one of those flights. I trust he enjoyed it!!!
                  Oddly enough- I ran across this video while cruisin' one of my aviation websites this morning...

Very cool things do still happen these days.
                  StudeDave '57
                  US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                  SDC Member since 1985

past President
                  Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                  San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                  San Diego Chapter SDC
                  North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

"Very cool things do still happen these days."

Dave,
                    Yes, these DO happen! I got involved with the Indy Honor Flight about 10 days after my Father passed away this year. Our FIRST flight was September 10th. Other then my wedding day and the birth of our daughter, THAT was the greatest day I've had.
                    We originally had talked about doing 2 flights in 2013, at our board of directors meeting 2 weeks ago, "we" decided on four flights next year! Our first flight in 2013 will be April 20th.
                    The Honor Flight Network has people in place at Dulles, Reagan, and BWI airports to help ALL of the flights from throughout the country. Even IF you can not make a flight, volunteer to help out on the "ground crew" at the airport of departure. It take sa lot of work to get 80, 85+ and up men AND women checked in, on buses, planes and fed breakfast early in the morning.
                    There are NO words that can describe the feeling you have by the end of the day. These Heroes, kept thanking us for their day! But as I told them, "we had it easy, as there was NO ONE shooting at us"
                    Regretfully, we are losing 700-900 WWII Veterans a day! and many of them have never seen the WWII Memorial. I have been there twice, once with my daughter, and once with 80 WWII Veterans, I am looking forward to April, as I will go again!

I will throw out that the Walgreens in Plainfield Indiana stepped up to the plate, They donated ALL of the large portraits of our Veterans (from back in the 40's) and also as we got off the plane, gave each Veteran an 8 x 10 group photo of them at the Memorial. We had a homecoming at the National Guard Armory at Stout Field, there were about 2000 people that waited for us at 10:30 on a Monday night and greeted these guys. Since we were about 2 hours late to our own party, and a work and school night, that was pretty good.

Thanks again to ALL who served!

Jim

Here are a couple of links

http://www.indyhonorflight.org/

Indy Honor Flight, Plainfield, Indiana. 12,232 likes · 209 talking about this · 742 were here. Indy Honor Flight transports WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Wartime Veterans to DC to see their memorials....

"We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                    their Memorials!

Comment

Jim- I'm sure that those who you have helped are very glad for the wrok you put into getting them there. Thank you for all you do.

For those on Facebook- I found nine pictures from the photo shoot.
                      Search "Gloomy Sunday Productions" and then have a look at their post from 12 November.

Non FB folks may also be able to see the pictures- but I'm not sure.

StudeDave '57
                      StudeDave '57
                      US Navy (retired)

SDC Member since 1985

past President
                      San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                      San Diego Chapter SDC

Comment

To: StudeDave57,-- I've posted back and forth with StudeRich many times (on this forum), but I've never met the Gentleman.....is He the Fellow wearing the plaid vest in the photoshoot? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                          To: StudeDave57,-- I've posted back and forth with StudeRich many times (on this forum), but I've never met the Gentleman.....is He the Fellow wearing the plaid vest in the photoshoot? Thanks
                          My Dad (StudeRich) is the guy with his hand under his chin in the picture in the slide marked '20/50', and the guy standing next to me in slide 33/50. He's in a few others, but those are the two that stand out best. Dad is wearing the same colors as Tom (the guy you're asking about) but Dad has sleeves.
                          StudeDave '57
                          US Navy (retired)

SDC Member since 1985

past President
                          San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                          San Diego Chapter SDC

Comment

Working...