PDA

View Full Version : crankcase fumes

mdelapp
09-17-2006, 06:36 PM
1953 Commander: noticeing fumes from crankcase in passenger compartment. need part number for new oil add port cap, and how to locate the 'road draft tube', to ensure good ventalation through the crankcase.

Mike DeLapp
Barrington, IL
53 Commander Hardtop

N8N
09-17-2006, 06:42 PM
Why do you need a new oil cap? Just soak the old one in some solvent like kerosene, etc. reoil and install. They are designed so the element is serviceable. UNLESS of course you have an aftermarket one on there now, which generally contain an element that dissolves if you attempt to do the "quick service" and clean them with carb cleaner (ask me how I know this!) Anyway I don't have a parts book that goes back that far so I'm kinda useless to you, although I *think* it would be the same as '55 I don't want to lead you astray. But I can tell you this, the road draft tube connects to the engine at the rear of the valley cover, just in front of the distributor. The open end is just in front of the bellhousing, on the bottom passenger side of the engine. There's a clamp somewhere in between, so if you want to pull the whole thing out to clean it, you'll have to find the clamp and remove it.

good luck,

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

ROADRACELARK
09-17-2006, 08:18 PM
Yes to what Nate said...also, safely get under the front of the car where the engine meets the bell housing, you'll see the road draft tube hanging down almost to the bottom of the oil pan on the passengers side. Look to see if it has a cotter pin sticking through the tube close to the bottom end...if it does, remove it and with a spring hook, reach up into the tube...there should be a wire mesh screen in there. If so,it's probably stopped up and needs soaking to clean it. Yes, it's a filter to stop dirt, debris and, down south, dirt dobbers (wasp that build dirt tubes to lay their eggs in [B)]) When this tube is stopped up the fumes have to go some where, so they come out the top breather cap. You don't need to remove the tube to preform this task.;) Hope this helps.:)
Dan Miller

[img=left]http://static.flickr.com/57/228744729_7aff5f0118_m.jpg[/img=left]
Road Racers turn left AND right.

mdelapp
09-17-2006, 09:32 PM
Thanks fellas. It is my next task. By the way Nate, I now have the courtesy light operational with the switch under the dash and the two door switches. The right bulb made the difference in the grounding and it all works fine. It was a little frustrating under the dash trying to hold the lamp holder, switch and get the screws started but that is great excercise for a guy of my vintage.
thanks again and I will report back on the breather tube
Mike D

Mike DeLapp
Barrington, IL
53 Commander Hardtop

N8N
09-17-2006, 09:41 PM
Now you've reminded me that my under dash light does not work because I keep forgetting to buy a new bulb for it :) This after I obsessively scoured swap meets for one because it was missing from my car when I bought it, and I couldn't bring myself to clip off that wire coming from the door switch, because I knew it had to do SOMETHING... :)

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

Blue 15G
09-19-2006, 07:29 AM
As for your fume problem, also check the condition of the large (4 inch?) duct hose leading to the heater core. The draft tube is near this hose, and if the hose has any holes in it the fumes will find their way into the car interior in short order. [xx(]

skyway
09-19-2006, 01:01 PM
Regarding the road tube, if that filter is missing or really cruddy, an excellent replacement is a hunk cut from one of those copper dish scrubber pads.

PackardV8
09-19-2006, 01:29 PM
The Studebaker floors were like swiss cheese when new. Fifty years of rust just makes it worse. Clutch, brake, steering, accelerator, heater, emergency brake, all open to the engine compartment. Pull the carpets or mats and renew all the rubber seals and any rust holes.

If an engine has worn rings and pressurizing the crankcase, or if the valve stem oil seals are gone there will always be oil smells coming in. Sealing the openings will help, but rebuilding the engine is the cure.

PackardV8